• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions to color this?

50 posts in this topic

I shot an email to Mike Zeck.

If he's willing to do it and I can afford it, I'm going to have him color it with his own hand. Being the original Secret Wars 1 cover artist, I have zero problem with him touching the original ink.

You're going to have him color the original inks? :facepalm:

Just glad this piece isn't on my want list

Yeah, I don't see why you'd want to color over the original. Also, is Zeck known as a colorist?

I didn't realize it was so taboo to have more than one artist do the same commissioned piece. Just leave the original ink alone?

Paratrooper, whatever you do, just get the coloring done on an overlay and not the art.

it's one thing to have the original artist color the original art, but having other people color it is against the aesthetics of the material.

you only have to look at the Prince Valiant page at Heritage that the nuthouse m o r o n had colored to see what damage was done to the piece, no matter how good of a coloring job it was. Mr Nuthouseman had numerous pieces colored and every last one has been devalued considerably, including the ones that Heritage sold last time and went far below their true prices had they not been ruined by that f o o l who had them colored so that a restaurant would hang the material, ostensibly so he could sell the material to uneducated buyers and to whom he would actually say they were colored by the artist himself at different times (which is further exemplification of what a fraud that guy was all along)

Point taken, and I appreciate the input from everyone. That's why I ask about these things first. I'll make sure the ink is left alone.

But for my own education, isn't it less of a deal if it's a commissioned piece? I certainly would not have someone color directly on published art.

Point taken, and I appreciate the input from everyone. That's why I ask about these things first. I'll make sure the ink is left alone.

But for my own education, isn't it less of a deal if it's a commissioned piece? I certainly would not have someone color directly on published art.

years ago I sold a Kirby pencilled piece . I'm sure you all know the piece, it's the valentines piece with the FF in the heart made of flames.

the piece was beautiful as it was.

the buyer later had Sinnott ink the item. I think that was wrong, regardless of what connection Sinnott had to Kirby. The piece was great and there was no need for inking. this was the same as a commissoned piece.

If it was commissioned, send it back to the artist & ask him to do it and pay the extra cost

I didn't realize it was so taboo to have more than one artist do the same commissioned piece. Just leave the original ink alone?

It is not "taboo." I think you can do what you want with the art you commission. Anyone says different has their head up their . I think most people, including myself, think it's inappropriate to have published or well-known pieces altered by inking a penciled piece or hand-coloring an inked page. Work that you yourself commissioned? Do what thou wilt is the whole of it. Hell, last year at Dragon Con, I took my Big Lebowski commission I had done by Brian Stelfreeze and handed it directly to Laura Martin (who was a couple of tables down) to color.

It is not "taboo." I think you can do what you want with the art you commission. Anyone says different has their head up their . I think most people, including myself, think it's inappropriate to have published or well-known pieces altered by inking a penciled piece or hand-coloring an inked page. Work that you yourself commissioned? Do what thou wilt is the whole of it. Hell, last year at Dragon Con, I took my Big Lebowski commission I had done by Brian Stelfreeze and handed it directly to Laura Martin (who was a couple of tables down) to color.

Meaning, it's a matter of etiquette to the artist. That's understandable.

It was supposed to have color but to make a long story short, there was a beak down in communication and sending it back isn't really an option.

As-is I love the piece and I'm happy with it. But I would really like a color version hung on my wall. Maybe I'll hang the original ink beside a digitally colored copy.

if the artist won't color it Paratrooper then you have to make a decision as to what will make you happy, which is the key aspect. It's another example of someone not getting what they thought they were paying for when getting a commission.

and Lebowski.. go **spoon** yourself. if you don't like what's getting said you don't need to get crude, which is what you have done. Disagreement is one thing, being a ***spoon*** on purpose is another

years ago I sold a Kirby pencilled piece . I'm sure you all know the piece, it's the valentines piece with the FF in the heart made of flames.

the piece was beautiful as it was.

the buyer later had Sinnott ink the item. I think that was wrong, regardless of what connection Sinnott had to Kirby. The piece was great and there was no need for inking. this was the same as a commissoned piece.

If it was commissioned, send it back to the artist & ask him to do it and pay the extra cost

:ohnoez:lol

and Lebowski.. go **spoon** yourself. if you don't like what's getting said you don't need to get crude, which is what you have done. Disagreement is one thing, being a ***spoon*** on purpose is another

Dude, it's HIS commission. It's HIS piece that he paid to have created. No one else really has a say on what he can or can't do with the piece. Were we discussing a published piece, my opinion would be different. And my aim was not to be crude, but rather to-the-point, which is that, as it is HIS commissioned piece, he can do what he will to the piece, despite anyone's protests.

Meaning, it's a matter of etiquette to the artist. That's understandable.

If you're referring to published/well known pieces, it's more a matter of etiquette to the rest of the collecting community to not alter the piece.

I shot an email to Mike Zeck.

If he's willing to do it and I can afford it, I'm going to have him color it with his own hand. Being the original Secret Wars 1 cover artist, I have zero problem with him touching the original ink.

You're going to have him color the original inks? :facepalm:

Just glad this piece isn't on my want list

Yeah, I don't see why you'd want to color over the original. Also, is Zeck known as a colorist?

It's not taboo, and the example of someone coloring a published piece is not a very good parallel. For myself, the only reason I suggest having colors done over the inks is that it's non-destructive. If you love the colors, great! If you don't, or if in three years you decide you don't, then that's fine too. You're just out a bit of money, and you've still got the inks to do with as you please. I don't see why you'd want to risk that?

Anthony Castrillo is awesome, but his name is not huge. It's not like there would be the kind of controversy you see over the Royer/Kirby blue line stuff, if that's a concern for you.

Dude, it's HIS commission. It's HIS piece that he paid to have created. No one else really has a say on what he can or can't do with the piece. Were we discussing a published piece, my opinion would be different. And my aim was not to be crude, but rather to-the-point, which is that, as it is HIS commissioned piece, he can do what he will to the piece, despite anyone's protests.

then why be rude??

then why be rude??

I apologize for my approach, though my comment was not directed at any one person, but rather the sentiment that he couldn't do what he wants with the piece. I think I just see this idea too much in the realm of Signature Series where people often try to dictate what comics people are "allowed" to have signed.

Lebowski, I don't think anyone, including myself, was telling him what he should do. That's his own decision. He's asking for opinions and I shared mine, but I most certainly do accept your apology and I apologize in reverse.

thanks, Dude

:grin:

ps Lebowski, I do like your use of the word Dude, as it does fit your moniker and that keeps it in character. Now you just need to find your rug

lol Just so long as you don't spit on my posters next time I win some on movieposterbid.com (free plug!). (thumbs u