• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIMs coming out of the wood work!

207 posts in this topic

but JIM changes hands less often because less people collect them

That logic dosen't make sense to me. If there are more FF "collectors", wouldn't we see less books changing hands, since a "collector" wouldn't sell? FF is flipping fodder, while JIM's are more likely to be bought and locked away.

To clarify, I'm not arguing that JIM is more popular than FF, but I am saying that the market is driven more by the number of flippers and dealers, than by "collectors", as you put it. You are just a collector because you hardly ever sell. If everyone was like that, the entire market would nearly grind to a hault.

but JIM changes hands less often because less people collect them

That logic dosen't make sense to me. If there are more FF "collectors", wouldn't we see less books changing hands, since a "collector" wouldn't sell?

Both titles are in low supply, but since demand is higher for FF, the price goes higher. When that happens, even if you're a collector, you're going to sell sometimes if it makes financial sense to do so. The more popular a title is, the more often it's going to make financial sense to flip and then re-purchase the issue later during a down time in the market. Many of the other FF collectors around here like Drummy and JiveTurkey do that rather frequently, but if the FF market were flat, I doubt they'd be selling like that since there's no incentive to do so.

Not that the JIM market is flat since the supply has been so low the last few years, and the total supply is so low that demand will almost always outpace it. But as people become aware it's making financial sense to flip their JIMs now, I can't imagine 30% to 60% or more of the 9.0 and up sales these days aren't motivated by the above-market prices the title is fetching.

In addition to the Eide's JIMs (which I am sure will break records) currently on ebay, yet another ultra high grade gem has appeared...

JIM 102 CGC 9.6

In MHO I feel Kirby had a "special place in his heart" for the Journey Into Mystery/Thor comics. By far some of the best work he did outside of the Fantastic Four.!

What happened on the auction for the 9.6 JIM 99? With white pages to boot, and it went for a "mere" $1691? Given where multiples are for JIMs these days, and some of the prices on the Eides auctions, seems like Qualitycomix got a real steal on this one.

What happened on the auction for the 9.6 JIM 99? With white pages to boot, and it went for a "mere" $1691? Given where multiples are for JIMs these days, and some of the prices on the Eides auctions, seems like Qualitycomix got a real steal on this one.

Only 3 at that grade $1,600 is a steal and maybe this is a good candidate for flipping by putting it on Doug's Pedigree site? I didn't even bid on it because I thought it would go for double that. You have to think that some BSD JIM collector would want to land this puppy. confused-smiley-013.gif

Only 3 at that grade $1,600 is a steal and maybe this is a good candidate for flipping by putting it on Doug's Pedigree site? I didn't even bid on it because I thought it would go for double that. You have to think that some BSD JIM collector would want to land this puppy. confused-smiley-013.gif

We know that Tripps has a 9.6 already, and gotta assume that Brulato has one too. So with all the other BSDs out there, no one else wanted a 9.6 copy enough to give Brent a run? We don't know what Brent's max bid was, of course, but you're right, even I would have made a run at the book at that price. 893frustrated.gif

Omigod, I just realized what's really going on. The crash is here!!!

We know that Tripps has a 9.6 already, and gotta assume that Brulato has one too. So with all the other BSDs out there, no one else wanted a 9.6 copy enough to give Brent a run? We don't know what Brent's max bid was, of course, but you're right, even I would have made a run at the book at that price. 893frustrated.gif

Makes me wonder, isn't that Avengers #2, 9.8 and the Hulk #1, 9.2 part of Doug's personal collection? Why would be he selling those extremely rare copies? Yes the price tags are up there but where are all the BSD comic fans with big bucks to burn? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's not start this again. sumo.gif

:Makes me wonder, isn't that Avengers #2, 9.8 and the Hulk #1, 9.2 part of Doug's personal collection? Why would be he selling those extremely rare copies? Yes the price tags are up there but where are all the BSD comic fans with big bucks to burn? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You never know. There might actually be some truth to your last statement here. There does appear to be a lot of HG SA books coming into the marketplace lately. Maybe we should ask people like Burntboy and Tripps why they are putting their books on the market. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Although they are priced extremely high, is this a sign that they think the market is starting to approach a top and it's better to get out early rather than to wait around and miss the boat? confused-smiley-013.gif

As far as I can tell, and based on what he's said, Tripps is just selling dupes. If he were putting his whole collection on the market, I believe he could cause a crash single-handedly.

As far as I can tell, and based on what he's said, Tripps is just selling dupes. If he were putting his whole collection on the market, I believe he could cause a crash single-handedly.

Doug is actually both moving to Florida and leaving the legal profession. He has enough confidence in the comic hobby/market that he will make running his site a fulltime job!!

as far as i'm concerned, it's time to start slowly divesting myself of books that i've had for 40+ years. i'm retired, reasonably comfortable financially and just making good on promises, to start selling books, to a FT working spouse. i expect to be around in the hobby forever......... grin.gif

I think most of the stuff in "The Vault" are not dupes, they are Doug`s top of the line stuff which he would be willing to part with at a very very dear price.

I think most of the stuff in "The Vault" are not dupes, they are Doug`s top of the line stuff which he would be willing to part with at a very very dear price.

Yep, that's what he posted here when asked that very question about the BSD-books. In other words, these books are "Museum Pieces" which make the site interesting until it gets up and running. However, I believe he did say that many of the mere mortal books were dupes...

Doug is actually both moving to Florida and leaving the legal profession. He has enough confidence in the comic hobby/market that he will make running his site a fulltime job!!

foreheadslap.gif

The Apocalypse is coming...... tonofbricks.gif

foreheadslap.gif

The Apocalypse is coming...... tonofbricks.gif

What I do wonder is if he's going to be relying on consignments, or dipping into his personal collection. If the latter is true, you have to wonder if there will be enough "collectors" around to absorb his book over the long term, or if we're going to see Tripp's books bounced around from flipper to fipper, making the rounds on Heritage, Ebay, Comiclink, and even back to Doug's site. That could potentially cause an over-saturation of high quality material on the market. It already happens quite a bit, and I've observed this with books I track. You have the same copy being offered over and over, until it eventually de-values itself. Once the perception of rarity is gone, whether it is actually rare or not is irrelevant.

Of course this is all speculation, since I don't know what Doug's plans are, but it's definetly something to think about.

It's not speculation, you are correct in that he wants it to be a consignment driven endeavour. And our very own Burntboy was one of the first to succesfully sell a few books on Doug's site!!