• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Punk Rock Jesus

56 posts in this topic

Unwritten is awesome too but it isn't worth . For whatever reason Vertigo titles just don't get the heat that Image books do at this time. That may change one day, but it hasn't so far. I don't know that this book is going to be a hot commodity, but it is a GREAT read.

Got a chance to read the second issue. It is great. This book is something really special.

Just read 1 + 2 today... Wow. Sean Murphy's art on this book is absolutely brilliant and it is a VERY unique book that makes you think. Great writing and character development too. I can't wait for the next issue and that's rare for me. I'd go so far as to say that it's the best book that I've read for at least 12 months. I did read somewhere that it will be ongoing but I can't remember where... anyone else have news about that?

Simpson, you sir our 100% correct. If speculators purchased books b/c they were well written and had great art, PRJ would be hotter than Revival, Thief of Thieves and Peter Panzerfaust. I hope that people give this book another look and wish that they would have used a different title for the series. I'm afraid that the title kept a lot of people from picking up the comic.

Definate mini only:

http://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy

About 30 - 40 tweets down - "Sean Gordon Murphy‏@Sean_G_Murphy

@Invictus_Nth I'm not sure. I never thought of it being the type of story that could sustain itself for more than a mini or maxi."

And if anyone wants the Covers or pages of OA:

http://www.essentialsequential.com/

Issue #3 Cover $2050

It's great. I can't encourage people enough to try it out. I promise that you will enjoy it. They story is about a Reality TV Show that is a docu-drama about the life of a genetic close of Jesus Christ. The most interesting part of the series for me is J2's head of security who is former IRA. The book shines above the rest and in spite of the writers professed Atheism, he does not have a decided anit-christian or Atheist message. It is definitely one of my favorite books on the shelf right now. I'm afraid that the title and the message from the writer crippled the book's popularity before it hit the shelves and kept the book from making it into the hands of readers.

It's great. I can't encourage people enough to try it out. I promise that you will enjoy it. They story is about a Reality TV Show that is a docu-drama about the life of a genetic close of Jesus Christ. The most interesting part of the series for me is J2's head of security who is former IRA. The book shines above the rest and in spite of the writers professed Atheism, he does not have a decided anit-christian or Atheist message. It is definitely one of my favorite books on the shelf right now. I'm afraid that the title and the message from the writer crippled the book's popularity before it hit the shelves and kept the book from making it into the hands of readers.

yeah I've read that a lot of people like it. and the plot sounds like something i'd like. i'll probably pick up the first one tomorrow and see how I feel about it

yeah I've read that a lot of people like it. and the plot sounds like something i'd like. i'll probably pick up the first one tomorrow and see how I feel about it

Do it, Do it, Do it.

I have enjoyed this book so far and think people should look pass the title and read it for the story.

Just read issue #4 and this book keeps getting better. There's plenty of heavy stuff in this book if you're offended by religious controversy but Sean Murphy has managed to do it with style. It's amazing also how Murphy is able to skip many years of Chris's life but the transition is smooth as silk. There's a tough scene to read concerning a death too...

I really can't speak more highly of this book. All speculation aside - If you're not reading this you're missing out on a comic book masterpiece in my opinion.

To quote craveonline:

"Punk Rock Jesus is nothing short of masterful. The characters are rich with personality, the plot is layered and the textures in the art allow for maximum enjoyment. I have not been this excited about a comic book in a long time"

Ditto.

The Atheism and Anti-Christian sentiment definitely sets in in issue 4.

I wonder what they are going to do with the Mom's guardian angel? I'm not convinced that there will be a neat ending that ties up all the loose ends. I imagine that it's going to leave readers to interpret whether or not J2 is "the son of God" and we may see the guardian angel figure visit J2. I'm not really diggin' the Punk Rock band angel but I love the rest of the book and I can't wait for the next issue.

No I don't think it will be a neat ending either. Hopefully it doesn't leave to many questions unanswered but I think it's meant to be a thought provoking book so that's probably what will happen.

I think this is one of those books that I'll have to read again in one sitting once the series is finished to get a better grip of the story.

Books like this keep me interested in comic books though. The art is phenomenal. I read the first couple of issues on Comixology but when I got the book in my hand I could appreciate the art on a whole new level.