• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 scam?

31 posts in this topic

His response:

You can return the book if it's not what you purchased. A guy asked to buy it and he then freaked out like a baby because I would not meet him. For all I know is he wants to rob me and he asked me to break the number one EBay rule. For all I know is he is trying to get me in trouble. If you buy it, it's yours. If not stay in touch. I have a large list of books and it sucks these people are such haters.

eBay does not have a rule against meeting up as they offer "local pickup" as an option for shipping.

Not speaking on the seller, but more directed at the question of eBay rules about local pick-up.

I think this is a grey area because with eBay owning PayPal, one of the ways you void any PayPal protection in the case of a dispute is a local pick-up. Of course there is the option of paying cash, BUT on a large dollar purchase, who wants to take that risk on a raw book that you might not find has a major problem until after you've taken the book home.

I'm not sure if there is any specific policy on eBay per se, but I know that if some shady buyer meets up with a seller, pays them via PayPal prior or via their handheld device, once the exchange of goods and PayPal payment occurs, if the buyer goes home and opens up a claim or dispute that they never received their item, the seller is screwed as they have no shipping/tracking information to provide.

And yes its happened - at least that's what I was told by a number of sellers who refused to do a local pick-up & PayPal. In my case, it was too risky as one situation involved an old arcade unit and when it comes to aging electronics, I highly recommend you have some kind of buyer safeguards in place.

I just got a 2nd chance offer from this ebay listing by comicnation007 which i put a low bid in (1/2 of GPA value)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150866649878&ssPageName=ADME:X:SCO:US:1123

its tempting, ive been wanting a low grade, but decent copy of both these books and this is a great price. but the low feedback number concerned me, as well as the one positive feedback that said dont do business with this seller.

i emailed the poster of that feedback for details, and am stewing on this until 5 pm when the set the deadline.

im concerned not only about the feedback, but also the 21 day wait for paypal funds to clear. whenever i sell something, and someone pays me, its there that day - so not sure what hes talking about.

i smell scam....but man i want those books at that price.

i really hate what ebay has become - all the legit people sell there stuff at buy it now, so you cant get a deal. all the deals are scams, so a good % of my auctions won, Im going to ebay customer service either trying to get a refund, or complaining that my "3.5" book is actually a 1.5.

any thoughts...although im pretty sure i know the answer in my mind. RUN!

I just got a 2nd chance offer from this ebay listing by comicnation007 which i put a low bid in (1/2 of GPA value)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150866649878&ssPageName=ADME:X:SCO:US:1123

its tempting, ive been wanting a low grade, but decent copy of both these books and this is a great price. but the low feedback number concerned me, as well as the one positive feedback that said dont do business with this seller.

i emailed the poster of that feedback for details, and am stewing on this until 5 pm when the set the deadline.

im concerned not only about the feedback, but also the 21 day wait for paypal funds to clear. whenever i sell something, and someone pays me, its there that day - so not sure what hes talking about.

i smell scam....but man i want those books at that price.

i really hate what ebay has become - all the legit people sell there stuff at buy it now, so you cant get a deal. all the deals are scams, so a good % of my auctions won, Im going to ebay customer service either trying to get a refund, or complaining that my "3.5" book is actually a 1.5.

any thoughts...although im pretty sure i know the answer in my mind. RUN!

You are a lot better off than the OP. He was going to lose 3/4 GPA...you will only lose half...

I wouldnt do any business with him. I just reviewed some of his closed auctions and he has been taking pictures from Heritage auctions. I messaged him about it, and he said that he is the buyer for all of those heritage auctions.

I dont believe him for a second.

You guys overlooked my last post... His books are nothing more than the lifted thumbnails from the heritage auctions.