• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber paper and apparent translucency

18 posts in this topic

Here are two scans of an unslabbed X-men 10. The first one is the book with no microchamber paper:

x10.jpg

This one shows what happens when a sheet of microchamber paper is inserted between the front cover and 1st page:

x10_micro.jpg

Dramatic difference!! shocked.gif

You've done it now...I will have to go rescan the book with a black sheet of construction paper replacing the white paper...maybe in the am... smirk.gif

I'd be curious to see that. I think the main reason the micropaper increases translucency is the the reflectivity so it stands to reason a matte black should cut down on the reflectivity. Of course, they also thought the world was flat at one time so who knows?

Tom

Ok, here's the same book with a black sheet of paper inserterted behind the cover. As you can see, it makes the apparent translucency even less noticable than the scan with no paper at all! Wow! shocked.gif

x10black.jpg

I'm going to try this experiment myself soon, but until then...you've seen the X-Men 10 and the white and black paper in person. Does the translucency look just as exaggerated in person with the white and just as hidden with the black as it does in your scans?

What black paint would be of the right chemical consistency that it's sealed presence would not contribute to the further degradation of the comic collectible???

Since you asked the million dollar question here is a million dollar answer....

I think any non-reactive lignin-free, pH neutral, sulfur-free, alkaline-buffered, dye might work as long as it does not interfere with the physisorption and chemisorption processes of Microchamber paper. It's molecules must be of a particular size and polarity as to not become trapped in the Microchamber's microporous crystalline aluminosilicate (zeolite) structure - which might not be a problem since synthetic zeolites are modified to target certain sizes and polarities. The manufacturer would have to disclose its targets before a dye can be chosen. ORCO makes several such dyes as does Spotone. Oddly enough, to me, archival ink for photographic printers seem to fit most of the characteristics. If you look at a paint you would have to mimick the effects of a microchamber paper because most of today's acrylic based paints would tend to seal up the a zeolite structure.

Now the $5 answer

After looking around, I found the microchamber paper available from manufacturers appears to be grey .

Microchamber paint is available in black.

I had way too much time on my hands today.

Ok, here's the same book with a black sheet of paper inserterted behind the cover. As you can see, it makes the apparent translucency even less noticable than the scan with no paper at all! Wow

Cool - I love it when a plan comes together.

Good work.

Tom - thanks for the great answer. Now another question for all out there: How much would you expect CGC to jack up the prices for using said darker/grey/black micro paper to satisfy those who don't like "translucent" covers? Should it just be used system wide even on darker colored covers?

Any translucent non-white covers out there?

Tom - thanks for the great answer. Now another question for all out there: How much would you expect CGC to jack up the prices for using said darker/grey/black micro paper to satisfy those who don't like "translucent" covers? Should it just be used system wide even on darker colored covers?

Well since it would not cost CGC anything to get the grey version over the white ( since it is the same) and could be used on all issues, I am sure they would charge at least a 30% premium. Hopefully, CGC is a dynamic still learning company that may look at the little things to satisfy their customers. Personally, I think they have made some adjustments on the suggestions of their customers.