• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another shilly seller?

11 posts in this topic

I poked around his other auctions and to me, it doesn't look like a shill. Looking at his recently closed auctions and I don't see this account bidding on anything else. You bid the day after this suspected shill bid, so if you thought this why did you bid?

Just because they are a new user doesn't automatically make them a shill account. I just sold a huge lot of manga to a zero feedback user. These boards tend to make people jaded but that looks like an honest auction.

I poked around his other auctions and to me, it doesn't look like a shill. Looking at his recently closed auctions and I don't see this account bidding on anything else. You bid the day after this suspected shill bid, so if you thought this why did you bid?

Just because they are a new user doesn't automatically make them a shill account. I just sold a huge lot of manga to a zero feedback user. These boards tend to make people jaded but that looks like an honest auction.

Agree 100%! People jump to conclusions. I think the OP was bummed he didn't get the item at a lower price. Sour grapes?

Alot of people here label new members of eBay as "shills" all the time. Hey, everyone who's been at eBay for years started with "0" feedback at one time.

Agree 100%! People jump to conclusions. I think the OP was bummed he didn't get the item at a lower price. Sour grapes?

Alot of people here label new members of eBay as "shills" all the time. Hey, everyone who's been at eBay for years started with "0" feedback at one time.

You guys are misreading the information I posted. This was a clear shill.

- I had a snipe set with a snipe service. I set the snipe early in the auction to bid 5 seconds before it ended. I did not track who was bidding until after the listing was over.

- The underbidder had 100% of his bids with the seller when the listing ended, including bidding on multiple other items, all withing a few day of signing up. The underbidder / shill account still has 0 feedback today a over month later and has never won a listing.

- His other bids were on items that were completely unrelated to the Nintendo books in this listing.

- eBay did not issue me a non-paying bidder strike even though I refused to pay and the seller filed for one. I reported the seller for shilling to eBay.

I was perfectly willing to pay what I won it for if it had reached that number legitimately. Indeed I had already worked out with the seller to buy a few more he had in reserve based on the price the one listed went for.

I'm not sure what more evidence you need.

You guys are misreading the information I posted. This was a clear shill.

- I had a snipe set with a snipe service. I set the snipe early in the auction to bid 5 seconds before it ended. I did not track who was bidding until after the listing was over.

- The underbidder had 100% of his bids with the seller when the listing ended, including bidding on multiple other items, all withing a few day of signing up. The underbidder / shill account still has 0 feedback today a over month later and has never won a listing.

- His other bids were on items that were completely unrelated to the Nintendo books in this listing.

- eBay did not issue me a non-paying bidder strike even though I refused to pay and the seller filed for one. I reported the seller for shilling to eBay.

I was perfectly willing to pay what I won it for if it had reached that number legitimately. Indeed I had already worked out with the seller to buy a few more he had in reserve based on the price the one listed went for.

I'm not sure what more evidence you need.

Impressive detective work. (worship)

I stand corrected. I'm sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Given the evidence you have presented, I now see where you're coming from.

BTW, what snipe service do you use for eBay auctions? Is that reliable? I've never used an "automated" snipe service. I always sniped manually watching the clock myself. I may need to get one since the blasted time difference between USA and Thailand sometimes wrecks havoc on my sleep, and auctions end at 3AM here in BKK.

I went to CNET, and there are numerous eBay Sniping Softwares! Which one do I choose? :o

http://download.cnet.com/windows/auction-software/?filter=os%3D133%7C&filterName=os%3DWindows+7%7C&rpp=&sort=

Any advice you can give me (and others) on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I apologize for jumping to conclusions with you regarding the shilling fiasco you went through.

I looked at his other auctions at the time of your posting. I just looked again. The only one I see one I see this zero bidder on was Watchmen. There is only one bid and the auction had activity after that bid anyway.

I still cannot see this being shilled. When you posted this, I had bid on an auction that was so clearly shilled, it pissed me off. The guy would bid up an item and then withdraw bids to reach the actual bidder's max. How can you be allowed to withdraw multiple times but still have a bid on the auction. That is crazy to me. I called ebay and they did nothing. I called a second time and got someone who understood my frustration but the seller is still around. He even put positive feedback on his own auctions that were cancelled because his shill won those. I also called ebay about that and nothing was done. Just because they allowed you not to pay doesn't mean that this was a shill.

You know better as it was your situation, however, I still don't clearly see this as a shill. You have all the bidder id's, I don't. So based on what I see from your original post, it looks like someone put a bid on the auction. I had a zero bidder that was brand new on one of my auctions. It looks like I shilled my own auction. That bidder has no history. I ended up blocking him. I also had a bidder that just signed up to ebay to buy one of my auctions. Things happen but if you feel that it was shilled, I would agree on not paying either.

I haven't used ebay for the longest time and so I created a new account instead of trying to remember what the old one was called ...

Now this is a funny post. Good one, Peter! lol