• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

addicted to ebay

29 posts in this topic

Not to mention the fact that there are so FEW auctions on eBay anymore. It is almost exclusively BUY IT NOW or make a 'best offer.' This defeats the purpose of an 'auction site' in my opinion.

I really cleaned up and bought a lot of great books at auction in 2009-2010 when the financial crisis hit the hardest. I was getting high grade bronze age books for $100 that now sell for $300 or more...

Miss those times...on eBay that is. Still, I can't help feel sorry for the collectors who choose to sell at the wrong time.

Respectfully,

'mint'

We put some pretty cool stuff up on eBay and most everything at true No Reserve auctions.

We put some pretty cool stuff up on eBay and most everything at true No Reserve auctions.

I won a few of your auctions at great prices for books that I had a difficult time looking for in the grades I wanted and I thank you for it.

I'll echo the sentiments of the others in this thread -> eBay just isn't what it used to be.

Five years ago, eBay was the primary source of books for my collection. But that seemed to change so quickly... I've bought precisely *one* book off eBay in the past 18 months. I've moved on to the specialty auction sites like CLink or ComicConnect and the dealer sites mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

The sales forum here is another great place, which has supplied me with a lot of fantastic deals over the years.

2c

i use ebay to pick up raw moderns mainly. There are a few sellers I use regularly. on the other hand, I sell most of my stuff on there, so works that way too. I find I tend to do better on cheaper stuff by auction and the super high stuff using BIN best offer.

You know what I would love? It would be great if someone would look at each of those alternate dealers and write down for guys like me what is good about each of them.

A minute ago, I went to mycomicshop to look for early Mad Magazines which I have been purchasing happily on ebay recently. Mycomicshop doesn't have many of the early ones at all. As for the ones they do have, there is no or almost no choice of grade. So if I want a specific issue I have to take the magazine they have. Also, I can see no advantage in price. So when would mycomicshop beat ebay? Is it better when looking for reliability, postage rates, fast delivery-- please why would I want to go there?

Or for that matter why would I want to go to Heritage, Comiclink of any of the others? You know, I can get a Showcase 75 with the first appearance of Hawk and Dove for under six bucks plus postage right now. Can Heritage give me better value on that? Tell me, what is good about each of them?

Like I said... people should not poo poo eBay and look at it as a viable outlet if you do your homework.

In no specific order I buy from Clink, Metropolis, eBay the Boards and sometimes Heritage. Wherever I can get the best price gets my money.

Today in the mail my copy of GI Joe 21 showed up which was a book that eluded me for awhile. Even though it was a 9.6 I did not want to pay the prices I see it go for. Eventually I found it on auction and won it on eBay.

I cannot wait to show off what I picked up the other day... I want to get it first.

Like I said... people should not poo poo eBay and look at it as a viable outlet if you do your homework.

In no specific order I buy from Clink, Metropolis, eBay the Boards and sometimes Heritage. Wherever I can get the best price gets my money.

Today in the mail my copy of GI Joe 21 showed up which was a book that eluded me for awhile. Even though it was a 9.6 I did not want to pay the prices I see it go for. Eventually I found it on auction and won it on eBay.

I cannot wait to show off what I picked up the other day... I want to get it first.

You see I'm of a different mindset,from your statement above.I would rather be treated well by a seller,and would even pay more to be treated well.To me customer service is everything.

I have had about 130 deals on ebay with about half as a seller and half as a buyer. I think people have sent me goods that were far different than the advertised product on three occasions. One made good, one didn't answer my email, one sort of made good but I wasn't really satisfied. That leaves 127 good deals (as I have had no complaints).

I buy mostly lower grade. There is no screeching about a book being off advertised grade by a small amount. I am not paying large sums of money though I have paid over a thousand once, and just under a thousand twice. I have sold one book for just over a thousand. For me, ebay works. I can think of situations, though, where I wouldn't want to put my money on ebay.

Really, though, can Heritage sell me a Showcase 75 with the first Hawk and the Dove, a Steve Ditko key, in g to vg for $6.00? Can ebay sell me an Action #1 in fine? I bought from Chuck once. I bought 22 EC reprints and all but finished off my runs. The cost was about $100 with postage. I could have spent the rest of my life going through bins at comic conventions or blown much more than that on postage alone on ebay.

So what is good about each of them folks? I am not being coy. I really want to know.

You see I'm of a different mindset,from your statement above.I would rather be treated well by a seller,and would even pay more to be treated well.To me customer service is everything.

Everything was slabbed. I usually do not have a lot of questions regarding slabbed books. I choose sellers that have a decent reputation and utilized the buy it now when appropriate. Treating me well entails sending me the book I bought and an establishment of a possible future business opportunity based upon how that deal goes down.

it is different with buying across the boards as there is more of an interaction. However, I view buying or winning books on eBay in the same way that I pick groceries up at the store or buy clothes at Macy's.