• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman 1 9.0 sweet copy!

25 posts in this topic

Hmm almost makes me want to list my 9.0... Do you think that price was a fluke? I wonder if that price could be met twice..

Movie Hype!

Oh, the Spiderman movie comes out this week.

I better get me a copy before this hit makes the prices go up.

It's that kind of thinking that makes the prices go up! foreheadslap.gif

You might be too late Filter to get in on the pre-movie hype. confused-smiley-013.gif

but what if the movie hits a half billion domestic gross?!?! will the sheer popularity allow the honeymoon with spidey's to continue for a while?? grin.gif

Hmm almost makes me want to list my 9.0... Do you think that price was a fluke? I wonder if that price could be met twice..

Movie Hype!

Oh, the Spiderman movie comes out this week.

I better get me a copy before this hit makes the prices go up.

It's that kind of thinking that makes the prices go up! foreheadslap.gif

You might be too late Filter to get in on the pre-movie hype. confused-smiley-013.gif

but what if the movie hits a half billion domestic gross?!?! will the sheer popularity allow the honeymoon with spidey's to continue for a while?? grin.gif

Spider-man has been the most collected comic book title for the last 20-30 years, so I don't know that movie hype affects books like this. Think Action 1 or Detective 27 will spike when the next Batman or Superman movie comes out??

OTOH, I think Spidey #1 itself is over-valued compared to AF 15 and the other true keys. Now if Man-Wolf shows up in Spidey 3, 4, 5, etc.,. then you may have some "Pre-Origin of Man-Wolf" hype for this book though!! 27_laughing.gif

I am assuming that the air pressure, or lack of in the well might maintain the form of the impact. But once it is out, the impact smooths out and is not noticable. The actual structure of the book was not damaged. I hope this is true of all books that suffer impact damage. But for now it set my mind at some ease.

The most common defect caused by the slab is the one present on the Spidey #1 that is the topic of this thread, and the actual damage caused, as you say, is rather slight. It's usually a 1/32" to 1/16" tear that becomes unnoticable if you take the book out and smooth out the smooshed-down overflash with your fingers. It's really annoying, however, because the exact same defect could get repeated in a different place if you slab the book again and you end up having bad luck during shipping. 893frustrated.gif

A tear of that length usually won't have an effect on the grade for books at the 9.4 level or below, but it almost certainly would knock a 9.8 to 10.0 book down. 9.6 is borderline and it depends on how nice a 9.6 it was prior to the tear. It's definitely a problem on books that have overflash like Silver Marvels do...I'd be really hesitant to buy Silver Marvels in 9.8 or better condition because of this phenomenon, and 9.6 is a definite risk. crazy.gif

I don't entirely blame CGC since they're the ones who blazed new ground with encapsulation of something as fragile as a comic book with overflash, so it's understandable that they appear to be the ones with the arrows sticking out of their backs...comics with overflash seem much more fragile than cards and coins do.

I don't entirely blame CGC since they're the ones who blazed new ground with encapsulation of something as fragile as a comic book with overflash, so it's understandable that they appear to be the ones with the arrows sticking out of their backs...comics with overflash seem much more fragile than cards and coins do.

P.S. The Bronze books I've seen the serious "slab damage" on have flush covers and no overflash. It's just some meathead at the PO slamming the box down on the concrete and the comic hammering the well depressions.

I just want to clarify the type of damage Im talking about. I am not referring to corner impacts. What I am referring to is the upper or lower part of the inner well that has an indent and looks like this:

For example the bottom:

_/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------\_

When the comic hits that part of the well the lower or upper edge starts taking on the shape without necessarily a tear. Yes, if the impact is so severe that it causes actual tearing thats a different story. But the type of impact damage I am referring to is only where the indent hits the edge causing the edge to slightly bend. My point was that based on the book I popped out, this type of bending looks a lot worse when it is in the well.