• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steranko's OUTLAND

20 posts in this topic

Hey all...

Interested if anyone has seen this. Steranko broke out of comic retirement and drew an adaptation of the sci-fi movie Outland(which I love!) How do I not know about this? I placed it in magazines cause it's a larger format comic and well... You know.

I can't seem to find one, I gotta see this. Help me.

(Ya, I am on a Steranko kick for some reason)

As best I can tell, it ran in Heavy Metal issues #51-55 and #59. Or, if you prefer, Vol 5 #3-7 and Vol 5 #10, or June-October of 1981 and January 1982.

I'm not a Heavy Metal fan, so I don't know how most look them up.

Reader-- You are basically awesome! What a treat to see these today.

I have to say, these pages are stunning. You can really see where Frank Miller learned his classic 80's visual storytelling from. Steranko really knocked it out of the park on this one for me.

These first few pages were all I could find online. I'm going to order all the Heavy Metal mags and disassemble them so I can get some nice scans of the complete story.

remember reading those when they came out. my older brother bought heavy metal every month. it's just plain silly that many/most comic collectors don't have an interest in these as they are filled with great stories and awesome art. had the same thing been published by marvel in fat comic book size editions for the last 30+ years does anyone doubt they'd be part of most folks' comic collecting scheme?

I find it hard to believe the Overstreet guide excludes Heavy Metal from their guide. I know they used to list the title back in the late '70s - early '80s, but not any more. Similar "adult" Sci-Fi/Horror books like Gasm and Warren's 1984/94 are listed, but not hm.

@bronzejunkie: I have it in italian, which is "Atmosfera Zero". If you are interested, I think a copy of the italian edition can be obtained on the cheap.

Reader-- You are basically awesome! What a treat to see these today.

I have to say, these pages are stunning. You can really see where Frank Miller learned his classic 80's visual storytelling from. Steranko really knocked it out of the park on this one for me.

Not only from him. Miller has admitted also influence from our awesome Gianni De Luca. ;)

53562v-IP227RKR.jpg

53564x-KSQQ2Q9Y.jpg

luca_gianni_de_hamlet.jpg

A pair of spreads showing his "cinematic" technique from "Romeo & Juliet", whose influence on Miller can be seen to some degree in "Elektra Lives Again":

(I have put them in spoilers because they are large):

rom-e-giu-r3.jpg

rom-e-giu-r2.jpg

These first few pages were all I could find online. I'm going to order all the Heavy Metal mags and disassemble them so I can get some nice scans of the complete story.

We used to have the entire story posted on The Drawings of Steranko website. I was asked by Steranko to only show a sample, so that is what is on there now (and is what Grails has posted here). One day Vanguard hopes to publish it in English. I am not promoting torrents, but I recently found a torrent of Steranko's Outland, and whoever did it made higher-res scans than the ones I had posted.