• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elusivity

32 posts in this topic

We have discussed Holy Grails etc. But I am wondering what, in the genre/genres you collect, has been your most elusive book. I am not talking about high dollars - just that one elusive book you have been looking for in basically any condition.

For me, as I have said many times, it is the MENACE 11 that I finally got on ebay for $46. I have never seen this book in the flesh for over 20 years. The grade is less than I would have wished, but I finally HAVE it. It is sitting next to me now and I keep looking at it and chuckling.

So, what is that one book that has eluded you all these many years? That book when you call your favorite dealers or saunter though a con, that never seems to appear?

Mickey Mouse Magazine V5#12 in high grade. So far lost two eBay battles to Steve Geppi: $2,300 for a FN/VF copy in 2000 and $6,700 for a VF file copy in September. Still have to settle for my Larson copy, sigh...

Oh yeah, Eerie 17 in high grade would be the one as well as a copy of Little Kids#1(Marvel) in high(somehow I can never seem to dig one up, barely ever seen any low grade either), also I know they are out there but I have yet to see a true NM captain 3-D#1.

Help me...

Bronzejunkie

In order of "1" representing the toughtest

1a) A first printing copy of Das Kampf, any complete copy would do

1b) A first printing copy of Adventures of Jesus, any complete copy would do.

2a) A first printing copy of Zap Comix 1 that grades higher than a CGC NM 9.4

2b) A first printing copy of Snatch Comics 1 that grades higher than a CGC NM 9.4

2c) A first printing copy of God Nose #1 in CGC NM 9.4 condition

3) A first printing copy of Big Comics #1, by R. Crumb in CGC NM 9.4 condition

4) A first printing copy of Motor City Comics #1, by R. Crumb in CGC NM 9.4 condition.

How tough you might be asking; I've got every single one of the books listed, 2c, 3 and 4, I've got raw copies of, and they are in VF/NM condition. Here is the kicker; in order to have achieved some of the grades I have with these obscure books I have listed, it has taken the better part of 20 years to accumulate, and go through a comic stock of over 80,000 underground comics. I believe these books will likely take the better part of lifetime to find, and even then, there are no guarantees you will complete such a list,

ozcover.jpg

Das Kampf is Vaughn Bode's first self-published underground comic, and is regarded as being one of the first underground comics (1963). It was published and distributed on the college campus he attended, and to the best of my knowledge, only several hundred were printed. Because the book was made up of a slightly heavy cover/cardboard stock, and the papers used were looseleaf, it is often very difficult to find a complete copy. In the 1982 UG price guide, Das Kampf booked at US $600!