• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc storage posted by adam knight

10 posts in this topic

how does everyone store their cgc comics?

just got my 1st submissions back in the post!

my next dilemma is how im going to store them without scratching or cracking the cases

do people keep them upright in comic storage boxes or lie them flat with cardboard between them?

any suggestions are welcome

thanks for your help

See more journals by adam knight

Hi Adam,

I have been collecting for a couple of years now and this is what I have been doing. I purchase supplies from BCE. I buy the CGC boxes #336 (I have almost 20 full boxes now), and I buy the 2 mil graded comic book ziplock bags #337. I remove as much of the air from the bag as I can, then fold over the extra material and tape it back to the bag itself with removable scotch tape. If I want to open it in the future, this tape will not damage the bag. I also keep them in a room in my house.

This is very time consuming and these supplies are not cheap, but I think it's worth it. I'd also like to read about what other people do to store books.

Have fun!!

You can find CGC boxes on such sites as:

http://www.tcbulk.com/scripts/prodlist.asp?idcategory=12&gclid=CKLapPi3s7ECFQgRNAodW3UAFA

It is a bit of extra expense but you can nab silicone protectors (called slab pro) from: http://www.slab-pro.com/

They are color coded to match the labels of your slab, or you can just pick a color because you like it. The slab pros are supposed to fit in the boxes too (I don't have mine in boxes yet) and make it easy to identify what color label is what within the box. They come with clam shells for the product but I discovered that they also hold the books too. So I just put a slab pro on a book I like to display and put it in the shell (or they have great grips on the edge to sit out on a shelf without the shell) . ALSO the slabs themselves don't have UV protection (if you choose to display them), the same site sells UV clings that you can put onto the slab. The owner of slab pro is really nice to work with.

I have some of my books on display in the slab pro at this site:

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=313

I hope this helps!

Like alphaprimeiam, I buy CGC boxes from eBay. There are a lot of sellers, but what they all have in common: the more you buy, the cheaper they are. Do a search for CGC boxes on eBay, and then sort the results by cheapest+shipping. There will be a few different sellers, and they will sell anything from 1 box to 5 or 10. If you buy 10, they'll usually cost around 6.25 each...or 62.50. Make sure you look at seller's shipping costs! That's why I mention the specific sort. My local comic shop sells the boxes, but they are $9.00 ea., so I buy 10 and save $30.00.

I also buy mylar bags to replace CGC's poly bags. I've used the heavier polybags, but I don't like how they obscure the book and the extra time to seal. They do give VERY good protection though, and that is key. I buy the 2ml mylars from comicmylars on eBay. If you buy 200, I think it comes to .68 ea. Not cheap, but worth protecting your comic for life. Again, buying bulk is cheapest, but you can also buy 50 or 100. You will also find on eBay mylar bags that are "resealable" and usually called "sparkling". These are user friendly, and less expensive than the 2ml, but they are a lot thinner, and have a tendency to split at the seam. The 2ml mylar are even stronger than the thick poly, plus add an acid free environment and stellar presentation. After I bag the comics in mylar, I scan them. It's great because you don't have to remove the bag to get a good scan, and don't have to worry about scratching the case or scanner bed while scanning.

Then they go in the appropriate box and stored in the house. Make sure the room you store them in keeps a steady temperature and is not subject to high humidity. A closet is a great place. I have too many boxes for our closets, so I bought some gorilla racks to store them in a spare bedroom.

Hope that helps and good luck with your collecting endeavors!

Like others here I also use the CGC boxes. They work great. I do not however use any additional plastic or Mylar bags. The CGC case protects my comics and the CGC box protects my CGC cases. No reason to spend any more money to protect my already protected comics, but that's just my opinion.

All books are stored in my closet with the exception of my top 8 books which I store in Frame-It-Again-Sam frames and hang on bedroom wall. They look really tough in those frames and I can change out which books I want to display.

All books are stored in my closet with the exception of my top 8 books which I store in Frame-It-Again-Sam frames and hang on bedroom wall. They look really tough in those frames and I can change out which books I want to display.

His site looks pretty cool. I might have to check some out. Downside is he doesn't use any UV protected glass, or heat/element protecton.

One thing that worries me is that I have seen on occasion some picky ebay buyers of my slabs who think that a less than perfect CGC case means the book should be worth less than the price i.e. somehow a scratch or scuff on the case is worth taking $10-20 off. I use polybags and store them upright as I did have an accident where horizontal slabs in temporary storage had a large box drop on top of the stack, and the bottom case cracked!