• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN 1, DAREDEVIL 1, THOR 1 italian versions just came back from CGC

11 posts in this topic

Are you curious to see some rare vintage italian Marvel variants?

PLUS.... get some free vintage Marvel italian books if you join the competition....

Hello fellow collectors...

Probably few of you are aware that Italy is probably the 3rd/4th largest comic books market in the world...Still today i.e. Mickey Mouse (Topolino) sells 700.000 copies per week(!).

99% of the comics sold in the country are italian editions and are very different from their american counterparts.

For what concerns Marvel comics, a part from few stories published in 1967-1968 in anthological magazines, we had to wait until 1970, when, an Italian publisher (Ed. Corno) purchased the rights to print Spider-Man etc etc from MARVEL!

The first MARVEL comic published in Italian language was L'UOMO RAGNO #1 (SPIDER-MAN #1) in april 1970, followed in may 1970 by DEVIL #1 (DAREDEVIL #1). Many Marvel series were published in that decade: THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA , FANTASTIC FOUR etc etc.

Each book usually contained 2 or more stories instead of 1 as it was in the USA and once in a while you could find posters and stickers attached to the comics.

Strangely, the first 50 issues of L'UOMO RAGNO and DEVIL were half in colour and half in B/W to save on printing costs!

A month ago I still had not decided how to use my free collector society coupons so I opted to submit three books that had been sitting in my multiple-books-box for decades...I know they were not in good shape but I thought they would display nicely once graded!!!

L'UOMO RAGNO 1 - 4/1970

DEVIL 1 - 5/1970

THOR 1 - 4/1971

I have some multiple RAW ITALIAN Marvel books from that era ...

SO I have decided to send some of them for free to the first 2 collectors who will able to associate the cover art of L'UOMO RAGNO 1, DEVIL 1, THOR 1 to the original american issues!!!

To join the competition you need to post on the message board and not write me privately!

CIAO!!!

FEDERICO

11790.jpg

See more journals by XXXPHOENIX

Man, I am having a hard time finding the Spider-Man book. It looks similar to Amazing Spider-man #4 or even Strange Tales Annual #1, but not quite. The others are easy...Silver Surfer #4 and Daredevil #1. :)

A little spider whispered me to carefully check one of the first Amazing Spider-Man by Romita...

Somebody may have decided to cut and paste some art from the interior pages and use it as the cover art of L'UOMO RAGNO #1 !

More hints and tips coming soon :)

Another curiosity.... the book came with a Poster now valued anywhere between $500-1000...which has the same art of the first spidey poster printed in 1966 in America!

image1tzu.jpg

CIAO!

FEDERICO

sig.jpg

Easy ones first:

Daredevil 1

Silver Surfer 4

The hard one:

... Amazing Spider-man 39 (When his spider sense gets jacked up by a mysterious gas)

I wish I was at home and not at work so I could thumb through some of my issues to try to find this.

Yah i remember its the one green goblin cover.

Daredevil 1

Silver Surfer 4

Amazing Spider-man 39

Frederico~

Not being a Spider-Man reader, either now or as a child, I just don't know what interior that cover for L'uono Ragno was pulled from.

I'm glad you had your Italian copies CGC'd - they are a lot of fun and make for a great presentation.

Happy Hunting!

Lee K

opppppppppppppppsss...it seems the mistery HASN'T BEEN SOLVED YET!!!!

Hey guys...you'll need to check your AS 41-50 page by page ....

Ok I will give you a new Hint :

mt0340017er1.jpg

CIAO!!!

FEDERICO

sig.jpg

Daredevil 1

Silver Surfer 4

ASM 48 - he's chasing the new vulture while he's sick. and flash thompson c-blocked him.

:makepoint:

a fun challenge. I actually don't have the original, i have a reprint! for ASM