• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.6/9.8 market oversaturated???

125 posts in this topic

Roy;

Have you ever heard of the statistical term called correlation coefficient?

Yes, there are more than just 2 data points on the graph.

BTW: Whatever happened to the aged old theory that downturns in the economy pushed up the collectibles market as investors looked for a safe haven. Why are these bad economic times not affecting the majority of the comic book market as record prices are still being realized on a continuing basis. Why is the bad economy on this particular go-round having its biggest impact on the uber HG BA and CA markets where the bulk of the pressing is being done. hm

For collectibles to remain buoyant you need a middle class and and upper class to buy them. We are living in an unprecedented time where the majority of wealth has moved from the middle class and into the upper class.

There are lots of rules that should be applying to the times, economical ones, ethical ones, political ones - but none of them apply because it's an unprecedented time we are living in.

The rules are being written and rewritten daily.

Excellent post. If more people realized this and admitted it; the world would be a much better place.

Roy;

Have you ever heard of the statistical term called correlation coefficient?

Yes, there are more than just 2 data points on the graph.

BTW: Whatever happened to the aged old theory that downturns in the economy pushed up the collectibles market as investors looked for a safe haven. Why are these bad economic times not affecting the majority of the comic book market as record prices are still being realized on a continuing basis. Why is the bad economy on this particular go-round having its biggest impact on the uber HG BA and CA markets where the bulk of the pressing is being done. hm

For collectibles to remain buoyant you need a middle class and and upper class to buy them. We are living in an unprecedented time where the majority of wealth has moved from the middle class and into the upper class.

There are lots of rules that should be applying to the times, economical ones, ethical ones, political ones - but none of them apply because it's an unprecedented time we are living in.

The rules are being written and rewritten daily.

Let's just hope Mitch isn't doing the writing, I don't think I could handle the hyping and spelling mistakes.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the drop in bronze prices or the 'oversaturation" of the 9.6/9.8 market.

There is more than one factor and it's not just pressing.

Pressing increses supply

People losing their jobs and selling their collections increases supply and decreases demand (since they are no longer buying)

People cashing in on comics because they are coming of age increases supply and decreases demand (since they are no longer buying)

Finding a new pedigree increases supply.

There are lots of factors. Not just one.

I have but two questions:

Do you press books or have them pressed?

If so, why?

Just to be clear, we are talking about the drop in bronze prices or the 'oversaturation" of the 9.6/9.8 market.

Pressing increses supply

People losing their jobs and selling their collections increases supply and decreases demand (since they are no longer buying)

People cashing in on comics because they are coming of age increases supply and decreases demand (since they are no longer buying)

If so, why?

Yes I have books pressed and I do it because

a) I like high grade books

b) I sell comics for profit

You know the answer to both of those questions before asking them, but asking me personally is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Pressing increses supply

If so, why?

Yes I have books pressed and I do it because

a) I like high grade books

b) I sell comics for profit

You know the answer to both of those questions before asking them, but asking me personally is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

I think the implied message is going towards motive of posted responses. I am not saying that is the case but it could be. Just like people could construe my comments about not bidding on any of the Dougie books in the Heritage auction because I would be nervous about the extent he went to to achieve his high grades as a means to hopefully convince others not to bid so I can buy stuff on the cheap.