• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.6/9.8 market oversaturated???

125 posts in this topic

What happened to the days of $9,000 ASM 129's, $1,000+ Bronze ASM, $500+ Bronze X-Men, and expensive HG Bronze Age non-keys?? I took a quick glance at completed auctions on pedigree and eBay and couldn't believe how many books have tanked over the last year. Are too many books becoming available at once? Is everyone pressing? Seems like "Single Top Census" are far and few between. What's going on here??

What happened to the days of $9,000 ASM 129's, $1,000+ Bronze ASM, $500+ Bronze X-Men, and expensive HG Bronze Age non-keys?? I took a quick glance at completed auctions on pedigree and eBay and couldn't believe how many books have tanked over the last year. Are too many books becoming available at once? Is everyone pressing? Seems like "Single Top Census" are far and few between. What's going on here??

Let`s hope it doesn`t happen in the silver age as well. :wishluck:

The supply of HG Bronze was much much deeper than what was initially understood. And there is more of it out there than even we know about now.

So, supply went up, demand decreased, and prices fell

Also, more and more people are pressing books now. I bet on this forum there are at least 15 people who do press or know how to press. So, more HG copies are able to be pressed into UHG copies. Again, supply increases, demand decreses, prices fall.

The supply of HG Bronze was much much deeper than what was initially understood. And there is more of it out there than even we know about now.

So, supply went up, demand decreased, and prices fell

Also, more and more people are pressing books now. I bet on this forum there are at least 15 people who do press or know how to press. So, more HG copies are able to be pressed into UHG copies. Again, supply increases, demand decreses, prices fall.

All that and a lack of patience by some folks (including me) to complete their runs in high grade.

I think a lot of people knew there was killer bronze stuff out there that hadn't been slabbed yet. But being willing to wait for it is another story completely.

I'm curious how many people payed nosebleed prices on high grade slabbed stuff back in the early 2000s.

I hope they enjoy those books for what they are because they may never recoup what they payed.

I'm curious how many people payed nosebleed prices on high grade slabbed stuff back in the early 2000s.

I hope they enjoy those books for what they are because they may never recoup what they payed.

I did, but luckily I sold all of it in time.

I still buy the very occasional HG bronze. I bought a wonder woman 199 in 9.8 a few months back. I don't really care if the price decreases. It's awesome.

The question is have prices leveled off now or are we going to see a continued decrease for quite some time?

I'd bet on another drop.

So would I.

The pressers are multiplying as everybody tries to get a piece of the pie so more copies are becoming available as the demand decreases.

Yay pressing! :D

Nick

While I agree that more people are pressing it would be disingenuous to point to that being the only reason for falling prices.

There are huge amounts of HG bronze out there. Huge amounts.

To make it seem like pressing is the only cause is, well, making obvious your disdain for the practice without aknowlwdging another underlying market pressure.

If part of the price drop is due to "oversaturation" , is it not a bit scary that people rely on the CGC census, which can be notoriously wrong thanks to the crack-press-resubmit process (without noting the previous label)?

[edit: not to make this just about pressing, there are also the crack-resubmit for a bump scenarios too that could inflate the census #s if they dont send in the previous label]

If price is in part based on the # of books out there, the census #s on popular crack & press books is inflated, helping in part to drive down the price....

(granted nothing drives it down as much as ACTUAL availability on the market at a given moment, vs perceived availability via a census number)