• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm new to CGC. Please help.

38 posts in this topic

DALLAS...my wife was real into that show along with Falcon Crest...so were my paerents tongue.gif

DALLAS was like taking a trailer park and putting them up in a mansion and letting them all loose on each other, Jerry Springer show style...

Oh...it's almost 5 pm....I'm off to win some price variants...peace...

21 jump street also had 2 of the DeLouise brothers on it and hot arse Holly Robinson(Peete). Not to mention it broke in International Superstar johhny Depp star of such films as Donnie Brasco, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Blow, From Hell, etc.

Jump Street was truly a ground breaking show. Plus it always played cool music(for the time) like one episode they only played Steve Winwood - great show.

I wonder why some comic company didn't have a PEE WEE comic? Or a Dallas or Melrose Place for that matter. They probably would of done better then the regular superhero comics. TV shows into comics is a dying breed. Use to be a time when just about any show was made into a comic.

Skip this post if you're not in the mood for another of my long stories.

When my writing partner, Sherri, and I were just starting our bid to be TV writers, our agent called and said that Melrose Place was looking for writers, but they needed them fast. They were so desperate, they wanted submissions of the own scripts, not other hour specs.

(note: the ususal way it works in Hollywood is that you never submit a -script for the show you're trying to write for, you submit scripts from other, similar shows. This way there's no worries about future lawsuits. "They stole our ideas!" and that sort of stuff. So as writers, you write 3 half-hour spec scripts, and 3 hour-drama specs and then you submit them to the shows. In this one case, Melrose was actually willing to look at specs for their own show, for reasons that weren't explained).

Sherri and I immediately said we'd do it, and then panic set in because neither of us had ever seen the show. Not a single ep. We called our friends, hoping to find someone who'd taped it, or could at least tell us about it. No tapes, but we found a couple who could give us general character notes and storylines.

That's not really enough. You need to see the show. Desperate, we decided to call Spelling, and ask them for some copies. Sherri got on the phone and managed to talk her way into a conversation with one of the higher-ups. She pleaded and cajoled and worked on his sympathy. He said he couldn't give us any tapes, but he'd set up a screening at Spelling. We were in shock! "That would be great." Nicely underplayed.

So we hopped in the car, drove to Spelling offices, and we sat in a screening room with a pile of videotapes. To our surprise, they were all un-aired shows. We'd actually wanted past shows because we figured we could catch the new ones when they were on TV. But since we only had 2 weeks to write, and we had about a month's worth of new eps, we came out ahead, and our -script would be more up-to-date than other people's.

So we watched episodes, took tons of notes, thanked our contact and spent the next 2 weeks feverishly writing a Melrose Place episode.

We finished by the deadline, drove it to our agent and were told, "Oh, they found somoene last week. Sorry."

That's Hollywood. Still, we had fun watching TV at Spelling.

-- Joanna

Michael Mancini was the MAN! The penultimate paragon of MACHISMO and CHAUVINISM wrapped in a shroud of MISOGYNY!!!

Yeah, he was actually my fav on the show too. He had no scruples. He'd screw you in a heartbeat, just to do it. Remember when he scammed Peter into becoming partners at the hospital. He was a classic.

And Jane...Ohhhhhhhhh! I loved Jane! (Many, many times wink.gif )

Chris

hey bug, your hands don't count as girls......d'oh!

Apparently you have never met Leftilly and Rightsella...........sometimes I go a little crazy and we all have a threesome together. crazy.gif

Supa......I used to love 21 Jump Street as well. That show rocked.

And Darth.....I was out of college when the 90210/Melrose thing was popular....but we had a small group of people that would get together......we'd order chinese food or pizza....get some beers......and have a weekly mini party just watching the shows and rapping with each other. It was fun.....and we could set and yell at the t.v. when someone was being a huge on one of the shows. smile.gif

21 Jump Street;

"Johnny DEPP

RICHARD Greco

Johnny DEPP

RICHARD Greco."

Well, when I was in college, my entire floor sophmore year scheduled classes around "All My Children". Nobody had class between 1-2 for the whole year. Tremendous floor bonding. This is how old I am - Kim Delaney was "Jenny" and died in a tragic Jet-Ski accident. She was kept on life support for the entire length of the Olympics.

Donut -

That's crazy. The same thing happened to me! I was hooked on that show my freshman year. I think it had something to do with Erica Kane's long lost daughter, Kendall (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar, pre-Buffy). blush.gif

Chris