• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 'fallacy' of the supposed 'rule of 25.'

54 posts in this topic

"The safest approach is to avoid discussing the topic of future collectability with these individuals: first, they know more than anyone else; second, they are deaf to any opinion that does not agree with their own; third, they are misguided optimists, assuming past practice could not possibly apply in their case."

-Harry Rinker from the article 'The Myth of the Guaranteed Collectible.'

Posted on WorthPoint and his own website as well

I have answered this already. This point says it all; and I fully agree.

If you are not convinced yet, there is nothing more I can do for you. In all honestly other experts in the field of antiques and collectibles agree. Would you like me to publish their articles as well?

Then you can go against the grain of every expert in the field.

Understand that MOST dealers (of ANY antique or collectible) are not like me. Most will not tell the truth even if it means losing business. In fact, most do the opposite and tell stories of growth, ROI, and accelerated gains; all while ignoring the simple reasons that caused it (speculation, third party grading being introduced; etc.).

People learn MORE from failures than you do from success. You will have to learn on your own.

What I find interesting is that instead of going online and doing your own applicable research to prove your point; your only hope left is to come up with flawed arguments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Again, I didn't write any of the articles. A simple well written thought provoking email sent to the author may merit a response.

Final thought: You (Gatsby) claim I do not know my audience (this is your ONLY argument; sad to say). Keep in mind to that you left for awhile and ONLY returned to post in this thread when Tony S. did. I have to ask; have you read a single work I have ever wrote? This started in the bronze age forum; this is why it all ended up here. Reemeber the article posting on the related '30 year rule?' Remember some of those other threads that this same argument appeared in? All in the bronze age. Ironically you had no problem with them then...

Now ironically, you want my opinion on TMNT #1? Really?

As to the comment of 'devoid of emotion' I was referring to investing NOT collecting. This is CLEARLY stated. I even said, (and I praphrase); buy what you like, just do not convince yourself it is an investment.

In a future thread, I have been asked to share the 'checklist' that most experts use to determine if an antique or collectible is WORTH investing in. I will post this when I get more time. Note that this is the SAME checklist commonly used by most of the successful experts in the industry; if they are buying for investment and not for collecting or 'flipping' purposes.

I am sure you will disagree; because you know it all and can prove the 'experts' wrong.

If you like a wide enough variety of stuff, you can buy what you like AND invest - and apparently you do so yourself.

What does this checklist of yours say you should have done between HOS 92 and X-Men 94? As I recall, you posted up that question not so long ago in the bronze age form.

Not much else to say. For most of your post, I truthfully don't understand what your talking about. I have read all the posts in this thread and I read the articles you linked to. One shouldn't have to go find everything you have ever posted on the discussion boards to be able to respond to your comments here.

"The safest approach is to avoid discussing the topic of future collectability with these individuals: first, they know more than anyone else; second, they are deaf to any opinion that does not agree with their own; third, they are misguided optimists, assuming past practice could not possibly apply in their case."

I have answered this already. This point says it all; and I fully agree.

If you are not convinced yet, there is nothing more I can do for you. In all honestly other experts in the field of antiques and collectibles agree. Would you like me to publish their articles as well?

Then you can go against the grain of every expert in the field.

Understand that MOST dealers (of ANY antique or collectible) are not like me. Most will not tell the truth even if it means losing business. In fact, most do the opposite and tell stories of growth, ROI, and accelerated gains; all while ignoring the simple reasons that caused it (speculation, third party grading being introduced; etc.).

People learn MORE from failures than you do from success. You will have to learn on your own.

What I find interesting is that instead of going online and doing your own applicable research to prove your point; your only hope left is to come up with flawed arguments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Again, I didn't write any of the articles. A simple well written thought provoking email sent to the author may merit a response.

Final thought: You (Gatsby) claim I do not know my audience (this is your ONLY argument; sad to say). Keep in mind to that you left for awhile and ONLY returned to post in this thread when Tony S. did. I have to ask; have you read a single work I have ever wrote? This started in the bronze age forum; this is why it all ended up here. Reemeber the article posting on the related '30 year rule?' Remember some of those other threads that this same argument appeared in? All in the bronze age. Ironically you had no problem with them then...

Now ironically, you want my opinion on TMNT #1? Really?

As to the comment of 'devoid of emotion' I was referring to investing NOT collecting. This is CLEARLY stated. I even said, (and I praphrase); buy what you like, just do not convince yourself it is an investment.

In a future thread, I have been asked to share the 'checklist' that most experts use to determine if an antique or collectible is WORTH investing in. I will post this when I get more time. Note that this is the SAME checklist commonly used by most of the successful experts in the industry; if they are buying for investment and not for collecting or 'flipping' purposes.

I am sure you will disagree; because you know it all and can prove the 'experts' wrong.

If you like a wide enough variety of stuff, you can buy what you like AND invest - and apparently you do so yourself.

What does this checklist of yours say you should have done between HOS 92 and X-Men 94? As I recall, you posted up that question not so long ago in the bronze age form.

Not much else to say. For most of your post, I truthfully don't understand what your talking about. I have read all the posts in this thread and I read the articles you linked to. One shouldn't have to go find everything you have ever posted on the discussion boards to be able to respond to your comments here.

Incorrect on your analysis; as out of 1,000 plus posts on this message board, I have repeated myself at least one hundred times (side note: exaggeration to prove a point, but I am probably close-lol) on various comments such as yours. The only difference is the item I am commenting on; one minute it is Magic cards, the next it is video games, the next it is something else. My thoughts have also been made crystal clear in this same thread; proving that you may not have read everything I have written throughout it before posting.

The thread you reference was used to spur thoughtful debate. I have yet to buy either comic book; because I BUY below market value. I like to spur discussion as is evident by my other threads. You have a choice as to whether or not you want to comment, ignore, and/or create your own thread(s). Message boards and forums are about the sharing of thoughts, ideas, and knowledge. Usually it is the people who really have a lot to lose that resort to name calling, foul language, and disrespect (note that I am not saying you ventured into this territory; I am only stating a fact). This is even referrenced in the article I chose to post.

Ironically, in all that you posted, this is all you can come up with when I replied on all your points?

I have yet to hear from Gatsby either. That being said, you are welcome to join many other forums I belong to concerning antiques and collectibles and see what others in the industry have to say concerning your thoughts. In all honesty, and I mean this with full respect; I truly believe it would do a lot of people (not just yourself) good, to be able to take a different view of the collecting field as a whole. You definately would learn something. They are also used to dealing with individuals who come on the forums stating that they are going to 'invest' in (enter item of choice here).

Keep in mind that WorthPoint alone has some of the best minds in the industry writing articles for them. Ironically, with all this talk of 'investing' whenever I mention WorthPoint most individuals look at me like I am speaking 'Greek.' I find it hard to believe that people invest without doing proper research. All the articles on WorthPoint (just to name ONE of the many examples I can); are FREE of charge! It is free information and analysis. The 'pay portion' of the site is there for poeple like me who require further analysis on hard to find and rare antiques (and other collectibles).

This is the start of learning how to analyze the whole market and field of collecting. When I learned the antiques business I was thrust into a lot of situations where I felt unwelcome and uncomfortable. I learned from this. This is how I started to develop my knowledge base. This is why I have a hard time watching 'newbies' watch Antiques Roadshow, run to their nearest flea market, overpay for something; then complain that the business 'is not as portrayed on television.' They forgot the most important part; first leave all preconceived notions at home where they belong and do your research first. Then and only after you fail; will you truly succeed.

'mint'

Incorrect on your analysis (I DON'T REMEMBER ANALYZING ANYTHING) ; as out of 1,000 plus posts on this message board, I have repeated myself at least one hundred times (side note: exaggeration to prove a point, but I am probably close-lol) on various comments such as yours. The only difference is the item I am commenting on; one minute it is Magic cards, the next it is video games, the next it is something else (WHY WOULD YOU COMMENT ON MAGIC CARDS ON THIS FORUM?) My thoughts have also been made crystal clear in this same thread (MY APOLOGIES, BUT I'VE READ LITTLE SO FAR THAT WAS CRYSTAL CLEAR, ACCEPT YOUR LOVE OF WORTHPOINT AND RINKER); proving that you may not have read everything I have written throughout it before posting.

The thread you reference was used to spur thoughtful debate. I have yet to buy either comic book; because I BUY below market value [i]( GOOD LUCK[/i]) . I like to spur discussion as is evident by my other threads. You have a choice as to whether or not you want to comment, ignore, and/or create your own thread(s) [i](THANKS).[/i] Message boards and forums are about the sharing of thoughts, ideas, and knowledge (YES, THEY ARE. I JOINED SPECIFICALLY TO GAIN SOME KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THE CURRENT ORIGINAL COMIC BOOK ART MARKET. DO YOU THINK I COULD HAVE LEARNED MORE ABOUT COMIC BOOK ORIGINAL ART AT WORTHPOINT'S WEBSITE OR READING RINKER'S POSTS?) . Usually it is the people who really have a lot to lose that resort to name calling, foul language, and disrespect [i](I'VE MET PLENTY OF POOR PEOPLE WITH FOUL MOUTHS THAT WERE DISRESPECTFUL. MUST BE THE JOB)[/i]. (note that I am not saying you ventured into this territory; I am only stating a fact)[i] (NOR HAVE YOU. I HAVE FOUND YOUR POSTS TO BE AT TIMES CONFUSING, BUT NEVER RUDE))[/i] . This is even referrenced in the article I chose to post.

Ironically, in all that you posted, this is all you can come up with when I replied on all your points? (AN EXAMPLE OF WHERE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT)

I have yet to hear from Gatsby either[i] (EVIDENCE HE MIGHT BE SMARTER THAN ME).[/i] That being said, you are welcome to join many other forums I belong to concerning antiques and collectibles and see what others in the industry have to say concerning your thoughts.(LIKE MOST ON THIS FORUM, I HAVE NO INTEREST IN OTHER COLLECTIBLE FIELDS. ONE EXPENSIVE HOBBY IS ALL I CAN AFFORD) In all honesty, and I mean this with full respect; I truly believe it would do a lot of people (not just yourself) good, to be able to take a different view of the collecting field as a whole. You definately would learn something. (I SUPPOSE IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ANY AND ALL KNOWLEDGE COULD BE USEFUL.) They are also used to dealing with individuals who come on the forums stating that they are going to 'invest' in (enter item of choice here).

Keep in mind that WorthPoint alone has some of the best minds in the industry writing articles for them (I WOULDN'T KNOW ABOUT OTHER COLLECTIBLE FIELDS. SOME OF THE BEST MINDS IN THE COMIC BOOK FIELD ARE HERE). Ironically, with all this talk of 'investing' whenever I mention WorthPoint most individuals look at me like I am speaking 'Greek.' I find it hard to believe that people invest without doing proper research.(IF THEY ARE ON THIS FORUM AND THINKING ABOUT INVESTING IN COMICS OR COMIC ART THEY ALREADY ARE DOING PROPER RESEARCH). All the articles on WorthPoint (just to name ONE of the many examples I can); are FREE of charge! It is free information and analysis. The 'pay portion' of the site is there for poeple like me who require further analysis on hard to find and rare antiques (and other collectibles).

This is the start of learning how to analyze the whole market and field of collecting. (AGAIN, I DON'T BELIEVE HARDLY ANYONE HERE IS INTERESTED IN THE "WHOLE MARKET AND FIELD ON COLLECTING")[/i] When I learned the antiques business I was thrust into a lot of situations where I felt unwelcome and uncomfortable. I learned from this. This is how I started to develop my knowledge base. This is why I have a hard time watching 'newbies' watch Antiques Roadshow,([i]ANTIQUES ROADSHOW IS MEANT TO ENTERTAIN. NOT SO SMART PEOPLE LOSE MONEY LOTS OF DIFFERENT WAYS) [/i] run to their nearest flea market, overpay for something; then complain that the business 'is not as portrayed on television.' They forgot the most important part; first leave all preconceived notions at home where they belong and do your research first.

Then and only after you fail; will you truly succeed (WHAT??? SOUNDS LIKE A MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER, NOT AN INVESTMENT ADVISOR)

'mint'

TONY

Sigh...

Ok.

I may not be the sharpest needle in the haystack, but I don't understand that quote. The discusson all the way along has been about "future collectability." I never saw anyone in any of these threads claim otherwise.

And he contradicts that first part when he says "assuming past practice could not possibly apply in their case." Huh? The whole idea of the Rule of 25 is that repeated observation of past experience has borne it out.

ex. Star Comics, the shortlived childrens line from Marvel, tended to dramatically increase in value several years ago, right when they were about 25 years old.

ex. Why else do you think the Transformers GI Joe properties were turned into movies over the last few years? They weren't marketed to teens, but rather to tap into to the nostagia of 30-somethings who had fond memories of the cartoons when they were kids (gasp!) 25 years ago.

"Then you can go against the grain of every expert in the field.

Except that many of the foremost comic experts reside on these boards. Although you'll note that, for the most part, the board heavyweights have refrained from engaging with you. Rather, the first half dozen responses to this thread were sarcastic. Hmm...

"You (Gatsby) claim I do not know my audience (this is your ONLY argument; sad to say). Keep in mind to that you left for awhile and ONLY returned to post in this thread when Tony S. did. I have to ask; have you read a single work I have ever wrote?.

Except that it was not my argument, but was first put forth by Tony S. (Although I heartily agreed with and endorsed it.)

As I recall, I was the first to respond seriously to your inquiry in this thread, on the bottom of page 1. Then, I was succint in my criticism and felt that was all that was needed:

To review, you put forth the Rinker article as outside evidence of the validity of your viewpoint, and I questioned that assumption because Rinker only mentions comic books for three sentences, with no metrics or case studies to support or refute his claims. Those metrics are easily available via GPA. So I simply don't think Rinker's article supports your argument. It's a false idol, but since your true intent seems to be driving traffic traffic to Worthpoint and Rinker, whatever.

Plus (as has been stated) the rest of his article presented little new. I was never caught up in speculative fads like beanie babies or cabbage patch kids, and I doubt most here were either.

Have I read anything you "have ever wrote?" Sadly, yes, excessive misplaced quotation marks, interesting grammar and all. Which is why I posted that lengthy screed last night. I knew it was a fool's errand to feed the troll, but I was tired and pleasantly buzzed on a nice bourdeaux.

Trust me--I don't need others to make my ponts for me. Rather, up until last night, I felt I'd said my piece.

Further, I just don't see the point in furthering a discussion in a thread where well over a third of the posts are yours. If you were truly interested in engaging with readers here, you would sit back and let the discussion grow (or die) organically. Instead, you respond to everyone with an unearned condescension.

And when there was no interest in engaging with you from the rest of this community (i.e., no responses in over a week), you bumped the thread.

But back to the topic at hand--I'm sorry, are you saying you don't want to comment on the investment potential of TMNT 1 because it's a Copper book, rather than a Bronze one? Why not? Rinker acknowledges that Rule of 25 = 1987, so how is asking about a 1984 book that happened to explode when it was 25 years old not fair game? That you dismiss the book as arbitrarily "inherently speculative" for another 20 months?

I may not be the sharpest needle in the haystack, but I don't understand that quote.

It's a quote that is dismissive, and ironically suggests the author is 'deaf to any opinion that does not agree with their (his) own.'

Here's a question: can one simply assume that all fields in the antiques and collectibles universe operate under the same dynamics?

Can I, with 30+ years of experience in the field of comic book collecting, pop over to the coin forums and offer them advice on the vagaries of that particular field?

Here's a question: can one simply assume that all fields in the antiques and collectibles universe operate under the same dynamics?

Can I, with 30+ years of experience in the field of comic book collecting, pop over to the coin forums and offer them advice on the vagaries of that particular field?

First, I will answer each question that has merit, over the next few days. I will have LIMITED access to these boards until this time due to traveling (ironically in the antiques and related industries). I started with this thread because it is the easiest to respond to.

All collecting fields operate within set applied rules of both economics and cyclical (or linear; heaven fobid) behavior. If one was not able to apply these principles (i.e. supply and demand, how to anaylze pricing metrics, etc.); an antique dealer would not be able to apply principles that define the basics of collecting and dealing in the antique glass market to collecting and dealing in the antique furniture market. Therefore, to answer your question on the surface, the answer is a resounding 'yes.' How do you think I learned the business so well?

This does not mean you will know what coins to buy, sell, and hold; but that can easily be learned. The biggest reason most 'newbies' fail in any collectible or antique related field is because they do not know the basics and how to apply basic principles to other collecting fields.

Anyone with access to a price guide and the internet can determine what coins are keys, undervalued, and have potential. Knowing not to buy solely out of emotion, how much to pay, and when to sell; those are the hard questions.

What would benefit you, and I mean this in general terms; would be to examine the whole collecting industry from a whole. Venturing onto other sites in this regard, would help expand the horizons of those interested and allow you to do completely free research. This will help you analyze cross related collectibles as well.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Incorrect on your analysis (I DON'T REMEMBER ANALYZING ANYTHING) ; as out of 1,000 plus posts on this message board, I have repeated myself at least one hundred times (side note: exaggeration to prove a point, but I am probably close-lol) on various comments such as yours. The only difference is the item I am commenting on; one minute it is Magic cards, the next it is video games, the next it is something else (WHY WOULD YOU COMMENT ON MAGIC CARDS ON THIS FORUM?) My thoughts have also been made crystal clear in this same thread (MY APOLOGIES, BUT I'VE READ LITTLE SO FAR THAT WAS CRYSTAL CLEAR, ACCEPT YOUR LOVE OF WORTHPOINT AND RINKER); proving that you may not have read everything I have written throughout it before posting.

The thread you reference was used to spur thoughtful debate. I have yet to buy either comic book; because I BUY below market value [i]( GOOD LUCK[/i]) . I like to spur discussion as is evident by my other threads. You have a choice as to whether or not you want to comment, ignore, and/or create your own thread(s) [i](THANKS).[/i] Message boards and forums are about the sharing of thoughts, ideas, and knowledge (YES, THEY ARE. I JOINED SPECIFICALLY TO GAIN SOME KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THE CURRENT ORIGINAL COMIC BOOK ART MARKET. DO YOU THINK I COULD HAVE LEARNED MORE ABOUT COMIC BOOK ORIGINAL ART AT WORTHPOINT'S WEBSITE OR READING RINKER'S POSTS?) . Usually it is the people who really have a lot to lose that resort to name calling, foul language, and disrespect [i](I'VE MET PLENTY OF POOR PEOPLE WITH FOUL MOUTHS THAT WERE DISRESPECTFUL. MUST BE THE JOB)[/i]. (note that I am not saying you ventured into this territory; I am only stating a fact)[i] (NOR HAVE YOU. I HAVE FOUND YOUR POSTS TO BE AT TIMES CONFUSING, BUT NEVER RUDE))[/i] . This is even referrenced in the article I chose to post.

Ironically, in all that you posted, this is all you can come up with when I replied on all your points? (AN EXAMPLE OF WHERE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT)

I have yet to hear from Gatsby either[i] (EVIDENCE HE MIGHT BE SMARTER THAN ME).[/i] That being said, you are welcome to join many other forums I belong to concerning antiques and collectibles and see what others in the industry have to say concerning your thoughts.(LIKE MOST ON THIS FORUM, I HAVE NO INTEREST IN OTHER COLLECTIBLE FIELDS. ONE EXPENSIVE HOBBY IS ALL I CAN AFFORD) In all honesty, and I mean this with full respect; I truly believe it would do a lot of people (not just yourself) good, to be able to take a different view of the collecting field as a whole. You definately would learn something. (I SUPPOSE IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ANY AND ALL KNOWLEDGE COULD BE USEFUL.) They are also used to dealing with individuals who come on the forums stating that they are going to 'invest' in (enter item of choice here).

Keep in mind that WorthPoint alone has some of the best minds in the industry writing articles for them (I WOULDN'T KNOW ABOUT OTHER COLLECTIBLE FIELDS. SOME OF THE BEST MINDS IN THE COMIC BOOK FIELD ARE HERE). Ironically, with all this talk of 'investing' whenever I mention WorthPoint most individuals look at me like I am speaking 'Greek.' I find it hard to believe that people invest without doing proper research.(IF THEY ARE ON THIS FORUM AND THINKING ABOUT INVESTING IN COMICS OR COMIC ART THEY ALREADY ARE DOING PROPER RESEARCH). All the articles on WorthPoint (just to name ONE of the many examples I can); are FREE of charge! It is free information and analysis. The 'pay portion' of the site is there for poeple like me who require further analysis on hard to find and rare antiques (and other collectibles).

This is the start of learning how to analyze the whole market and field of collecting. (AGAIN, I DON'T BELIEVE HARDLY ANYONE HERE IS INTERESTED IN THE "WHOLE MARKET AND FIELD ON COLLECTING")[/i] When I learned the antiques business I was thrust into a lot of situations where I felt unwelcome and uncomfortable. I learned from this. This is how I started to develop my knowledge base. This is why I have a hard time watching 'newbies' watch Antiques Roadshow,([i]ANTIQUES ROADSHOW IS MEANT TO ENTERTAIN. NOT SO SMART PEOPLE LOSE MONEY LOTS OF DIFFERENT WAYS) [/i] run to their nearest flea market, overpay for something; then complain that the business 'is not as portrayed on television.' They forgot the most important part; first leave all preconceived notions at home where they belong and do your research first.

Then and only after you fail; will you truly succeed (WHAT??? SOUNDS LIKE A MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER, NOT AN INVESTMENT ADVISOR)

'mint'

TONY

I will gladly answer your one to two line critiques.

WHY WOULD YOU COMMENT ON MAGIC CARDS ON THIS FORUM?

Becuase a thread about it was started in the Comics General forum! Use the 'search function' it is your friend. Oh wait, you believe you should NOT have to read other posts to validate a concept; or prove a point.

MY APOLOGIES, BUT I'VE READ LITTLE SO FAR THAT WAS CRYSTAL CLEAR, ACCEPT YOUR LOVE OF WORTHPOINT AND THE ARTICLES IN QUESTION. (note this was changed; as I don't think is respectful to any party involved.)

My apologies, you are right, I do need to start quoting other experts in the field who FULLY AGREE with me (like all of them). I can also state tons of other websites like WorthPoint if you prefer; how about Ruby Lane, or Kovell's blog on the state of affairs in the collecting industry? All these have indivduals like yourself as well. Misguided in their thinking.

I JOINED SPECIFICALLY TO GAIN SOME KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THE CURRENT ORIGINAL COMIC BOOK ART MARKET. DO YOU THINK I COULD HAVE LEARNED MORE ABOUT COMIC BOOK ORIGINAL ART AT WORTHPOINT'S WEBSITE OR READING RINKER'S POSTS?

You did right by joining a comic book related website. That being said; a site like WorthPoint does have its advantages. They have sections devoted to comic books and routinely post articles on the state of the hobby! If you would remove your 'rose colored glasses' you would see this!

"I'VE MET PLENTY OF POOR PEOPLE WITH FOUL MOUTHS THAT WERE DISRESPECTFUL. MUST BE THE JOB."

Only those 'poor' souls who have invested too much that they cannot afford to lose it. Their last defense is name calling, foul language, and a total defense of any post against what they NEED to be believe; even after evidence to the contrary has been shown.

"NOR HAVE YOU. I HAVE FOUND YOUR POSTS TO BE AT TIMES CONFUSING, BUT NEVER RUDE."

I thank you. Understanding certain concepts can take time; you will get there.

EVIDENCE HE MIGHT BE SMARTER THAN ME.

Intelligent people are NOT governed by their emotions. They do not need to attack and find ways to critique a statement concerning an unproven and flawed ideology. What is more, when the ideology is proven false, most intelligent people do NOT go on the offense. They read what is written and stated and provide RESEARCH of their own. I have yet to see any other third party experts being brought to the table (whose credentials that can be verified); other than those I chose to quote or directly state.Where is the opponent's research to disprove the article(s) in question?

LIKE MOST ON THIS FORUM, I HAVE NO INTEREST IN OTHER COLLECTIBLE FIELDS. ONE EXPENSIVE HOBBY IS ALL I CAN AFFORD.

Yet, you are arguing to defend a flawed 'rule' that was disproved by at least one shown expert in the field, not to mention countless others? Ironically, this same 'rule' that you are attempting to defend AFFECTS most other collecting categories, not JUST comic books!

So by your own admission you have no vested knowledge of 99.9% of the items this rule affects; yet you are defending it?

As for your financial situation, I have nothing to do with that. You made your own financial choices. What you can or cannot afford is not relevant to this discussion.

'mint'

Here is a great book that has an excellent chapter on the state of the comic book collecting industry. If you READ the whole book so will see how it is related to all collecting fields and actually develop a better understanding as to how the 'parts' make up the 'whole.' What I mean is you will get to see a bigger picture to the understanding of said statements.

Killer Stuff and Tons of Money

by Maureen Stanton

Here is another common book that deals with what will possibly become collectible in the future:

The American Pickers Guide to Picking

Both these are great books if you wish to expand your horizons.

For most collectible categories yes, but I will say that the comic book,videogame and action figures are vastly different then the other collectibles.

They are collectible fields that create iconic characters such as Batman,Spider-man,Marvel Universe,Zelda,Master Chief,Transformers and GI JOE.

You won`t get that kind of iconic status in glass,pottery and furniture.

An example these characters from about 20 to 25 years ago are about ready to explode again in popularity.

street-fighter-2-11.jpg

descargar-mortal-kombat-4.jpg

Link.JPG

mighty_morphin.png

while glass and pottery from 20 to 25 years ago will not.

Here is a great book that has an excellent chapter on the state of the comic book collecting industry. If you READ the whole book so will see how it is related to all collecting fields and actually develop a better understanding as to how the 'parts' make up the 'whole.' What I mean is you will get to see a bigger picture to the understanding of said statements.

by Maureen Stanton

Here is another common book that deals with what will possibly become collectible in the future:

Just ordered and looking forward to them. (thumbs u

For most collectible categories yes, but I will say that the comic book,videogame and action figures are vastly different then the other collectibles.

They are collectible fields that create iconic characters such as Batman,Spider-man,Marvel Universe,Zelda,Master Chief,Transformers and GI JOE.

You won`t get that kind of iconic status in glass,pottery and furniture.

An example these characters from about 20 to 25 years ago are about ready to explode again in popularity.

street-fighter-2-11.jpg

descargar-mortal-kombat-4.jpg

Link.JPG

mighty_morphin.png

while glass and pottery from 20 to 25 years ago will not.

You might want to research your last sentence. I bought Dale Chihuly art when he was just starting to break out. The least expensive piece in my collection retails for $9,000!

I also have 'Fiesta' pottery from this era that sells for multiple times what I paid. The list is endless. I make most of my money from antiques in 'glass, pottery, and ceramics.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

by Maureen Stanton

So glad to hear it! Please let me know what you think!

I should quick state that Killer Stuff and Tons of Money was written during the recent recession. It does NOT show the antique industry in its finest 'hour.' If you would like further suggestions let me know. I am curious to what you think of these books. I love when collectors take charge and research new frontiers and opportunities!

Awesome, ComicConnoisseur!

'mint' (thumbs u

by Maureen Stanton

So glad to hear it! Please let me know what you think!

I should quick state that Killer Stuff and Tons of Money was written during the recent recession. It does NOT show the antique industry in its finest 'hour.' If you would like further suggestions let me know. I am curious to what you think of these books. I love when collectors take charge and research new frontiers and opportunities!

Awesome, ComicConnoisseur!

'mint' (thumbs u

Thanks mint! I just reserved these books at my local library and look forward to reading them.

I would also love to look at your checklist, if you don't mind, either shared here or if you prefer, in a PM.

Thanks