• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have a copy of "The Horrors" #15?

5 posts in this topic

"Horrors of the Underworld" on the cover.

My copy has 16 pages, all seem to be original, but the first page is clearly missing story-wise. The first page number is "2", and there is no splash. There is no sign of a missing page, as the first wrap is just that - a wrap.

If someone could find another copy, count the pages, and we could compare what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

Is this a notoriously cheap publisher?

I'm not familiar with the book you're talking about, but it sounds like it's a rebound copy of a book that had the first page of the first story on the inside of the cover. This was how Fox printed their books in the late '40s so any reprints or remaindered copies (such as the Fox Giants) are always missing the first page 893frustrated.gif

Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but the guide (Overstreet) makes no mention of it. It doesn't say these are "reprints" or "remainders", although it would not surprise me at all.

Someone out there has to have a copy. :-)

It's probably not a rebound copy, but the first story sounds like a reprint from a Fox comic.

Star (the publisher) put out a lot of comics that were a mix of reprints from a variety of publishers (primarily Fox) and added new stories (many by Jay Disbrow). A lot of the Star books have covers by L. B. Cole.

If the first story was the lead story from a late 1940's Fox comic, then they usually start on page 2 since Fox printed the first page on the inside front cover, like 143ksk pointed out.

I don't have that particular comic, but have lots of other Star titles that have the first story start with page "2".