• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber paper question?

24 posts in this topic

Ok, let me ask what you guys think about this. I recently saw a fairly HG run of 25 or so raw issues of some early SA Marvels. One issue in particular i was interested in i took out of the mylar to look at and between the cover and splash was a piece of mc paper. None of the other issues had mc paper in them and this particular issue was definitely the biggest key and most valuable of the issues. These books supposedly came from an OO collection recently.

The 1st thing that came to mind was that this was a comic that had been graded by CGC, came back a PLOD and was cracked out.

Is that crazy or do people really commonly use mc paper for their personal collections? It just seemed odd to me that this one comic had it and like i said, out of all the books this issue would definitely be the 1st one you would want to get slabbed since its the most valuable of the bunch. it has me MAJORLY worried about buying it. i cant see any obvious signs of resto but im FAR from an expert on resto. Worrying that it may be a cracked PLOD, im definitely not going to buy it now but was wondering what you guys think the odds are that this was a cracked PLOD based just on the mc paper being there? hm

I do lots of work for collectors who use microchamber paper and do not have their books slabbed. I am even asked to put the paper back in the book when I am done.

The first time I saw this I also though each book was a cracked out slab, but the paper was not between the cover and the splash page, it was inserted 1 or two pages in on either end of the book.

Worrying that it may be a cracked PLOD, im definitely not going to buy it now but was wondering what you guys think the odds are that this was a cracked PLOD based just on the mc paper being there? hm

Could be a cracked PLOD, or it could have come back 8.5 or ssomething when they thought it deserved a higher grade, and they cracked it out, not knowing that CGC leaves that little present behind.

Whenever I see microchamber paper between the cover and splash and between the last page and back cover, I always assume it has been graded beofre. Has happened a couple of times.

Worrying that it may be a cracked PLOD, im definitely not going to buy it now but was wondering what you guys think the odds are that this was a cracked PLOD based just on the mc paper being there? hm

Could be a cracked PLOD, or it could have come back 8.5 or ssomething when they thought it deserved a higher grade, and they cracked it out, not knowing that CGC leaves that little present behind.

Whenever I see microchamber paper between the cover and splash and between the last page and back cover, I always assume it has been graded beofre. Has happened a couple of times.

That's true, didn't think about that it could have just graded much lower than they hoped. Again, it just struck me as odd and immediately think it was a cracked slab since I don't remember ever seeing mc paper in a raw book at a LCS before.

It just seemed odd to me that this one comic had it and like i said, out of all the books this issue would definitely be the 1st one you would want to get slabbed since its the most valuable of the bunch.

And by the same token, it would be the 1st book you would insert micro-chamber paper into, yes?

I guess but the other books were also pretty valuable. Ive never personally used it but i assume you are buying it in packs of like 25, 50 or 100 at least no? Unless this person had an AMAZING collection, all the other books would also be VERY good candidates to put in mc paper. Just seemed very odd that this 1 book had it.

hey, like i said, i could just be cynical but it was the 1st thing that popped into my mind and definitely worried me. If it hadnt been there, i most likely would have bought it but because of it i didnt (shrug)

Did you ever ask the seller about the microchamber paper or just immediately suspect them to be scammers?

They were at a LCS after being bought from a supposed OO collection. They had no idea the mc paper was even there until I found it( or at least the person I talked to didn't). They didn't know why it was there so hopefully that satisfies your indignation (thumbs u

Maybe pose outline your initial post with all the information. hm

Still did the book look like it was restored?