• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trolling a comic book thief...

86 posts in this topic

The only way to pay on ebay is paypal, the Money order thing won't work

I was recently paid for something in cash through eBay. We both left each under wonderful feedback and everyone is happy. You can pay through any method you want. eBay no longer allows you to advertise that you accept any other method than paypal. That is why they allow you to mark the payment received button when paypal was not used. They also offer the option of local pickup.

I will think about it.

I am in the middle of listing stuff today.

By the way... I wanted to say something... I was afraid it would get lost in your listings or cause confusion in your for sale thread.

That was an amazing collection that you assembled; one that I do not believe would ever be as narrow or as comprehensive under the singular focus that you had ever again.

I went through that for sale thread simply for the gallery aspect at looking at things I have never seen nor will probably ever see again.

By the way... I wanted to say something... I was afraid it would get lost in your listings or cause confusion in your for sale thread.

That was an amazing collection that you assembled; one that I do not believe would ever be as narrow or as comprehensive under the singular focus that you had ever again.

I went through that for sale thread simply for the gallery aspect at looking at things I have never seen nor will probably ever see again.

Thanks! Oh, I'll have another focus one of these days I just need something to inspire me. I'm usually very persistent when I set my mind on something.

didn't know that you can accept alternate payment methods! thanks for the info.

I noticed that an unscrupulous individual is selling a copy of one of my books on eBay. (He lifted the image- the book is still mine.)

Here is the plan:

Buy my own book.

Tell the "owner" through eBay messages that I will send a money order.

Never send money order.

He will file a non-paying bidder complaint.

When eBay contacts me... explain to them he sent me the book and I have it in hand and can prove it through pics of the item and everything else

eBay thinks he sent me the book.

eBay charges him the fees and kicks him off for trying to cheat them.

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like someone has been watching too many "I Love Lucy" reruns

I noticed that an unscrupulous individual is selling a copy of one of my books on eBay. (He lifted the image- the book is still mine.)

Here is the plan:

Buy my own book.

Never send money order.

When eBay contacts me... explain to them he sent me the book and I have it in hand and can prove it through pics of the item and everything else

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like someone has been watching too many "I Love Lucy" reruns

giggle.gif

The situation sucks, and something should definitely be done before someone gets taken. That said, I'm not sure this is how to go about it. I'm also concerned this may badly backfire on you, and because you would have to explain how you were impersonating a "buyer" when you were really the owner, I'm not so sure eBay will lend a sympathetic ear when it would have been quicker and easier to stop this person in their tracks by contacting them and let them know what he's doing.

Here is the plan:

Buy my own book.

Never send money order.

Thoughts?

I appreciate the ingenuity, but I think you may be asking for trouble, particularly if you rely on eBay as a seller. I would just report him.

You cant ask for anything other than paypal. If a buyer chooses to pay a different method they can.

You cant ask for anything other than paypal. If a buyer chooses to pay a different method they can.

The way I understood it, a buyer can ask if the seller would accept, but the seller doesn't have to accept and has the right to refuse. Based on the experience I've had with holds and fraud risks associated with MO's, and eBay pushing PayPal as the sole payment method, I'm not sure a buyer can force a seller to accept them, and if push comes to shove, I'm pretty sure eBay will have the sellers back.

I think the flaw is proving the money order. They always come with a carbon copy.

You need to PROVE payment. The carbon copy of the MO is your proof. Without it you have no case.

Also, do you know the name of the seller? How are you going to make out the money order? To their ebay ID?

If you say you will wait for an invoice to get his name it will be a Paypal invoice. So how do you explain paying via MO?

You say you will "Tell the "owner" through eBay messages that I will send a money order." And you do that and the owner will promptly reply "No, I only take PayPal". So that is entered in your ebay messages.

Say you take it to the extreme and actually buy a money order and make it out to him. The MO is dated by the issuing institution. So if he replied in the evening NO MO and you get the MO the next day ... red flag time.

Say you get the MO on the day the auction closes and wait for the Paypal invoice for the name to use. Then you plan to return the Mo to the issuing institution and say "I no longer need it" to get your money back. Well that goes on record too and the MO's history can be tracked.

There are more holes in the MO plan than there are in a fine MicroPlane.

Just report it to ebay and out the seller.