• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do these new pedigrees rank?

73 posts in this topic

Wasn't there something like 40,000 books in that collection. I don't know how CGC can even keep up with all the collections that have come on market in the past 2 years.

I wonder... how much that cost to grade all that? CGC must have made a mint in that deal.

Hey Tim, do you think at some time we reach a point where BA books are old enough that a strictly BA collection could be considered Pedigree?

A lot of BA books are now 40+ years old which is as old as GA books were when the 1st Pedigrees were found. In say 10,15,20 years, are BA books old enough that it could be acceptable to have a strictly BA true Pedigree?

No, it`s not about age, it`s about scarcity. There are lots and lots of high grade BAs. 40 years from now, there`ll still be lots and lots of high grade BAs.

I dont know about the Savannahs. Most of them have pretty bad PQ and i havent really come across many of them at auction so i cant really speak about them.

While some of the PQ designations may be regarded as inferior the Savannah pedigree was massive in terms of breadth and depth. The collection spanned all genres from the 1950's to the near present. Call it what you want, it's an impressive pedigree with 40,000 books spanning 5 decades.

....that alone is worthy of respect. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I dont know about the Savannahs. Most of them have pretty bad PQ and i havent really come across many of them at auction so i cant really speak about them.

While some of the PQ designations may be regarded as inferior the Savannah pedigree was massive in terms of breadth and depth. The collection spanned all genres from the 1950's to the near present. Call it what you want, it's an impressive pedigree with 40,000 books spanning 5 decades.

And while I think the TC's and Rocky's are nice examples and have solid runs. Why I tend to champion the Savannah's is because of the depth and breadth. They have some of the best DC's ever graded, it seems that Marvel mania has risen in the Pedigree realm but the Savannah's have the nicest DC's this side of the White Mountain and Pac Coasts AND have gret Marvels. If you were to pull the lists of the books in each of the Peds (TC, RMs and Savannah) and look at them side by side I think the on paper quality of the Savannah's would cause some people to reconsider, though the PQ is a down grade, it does not permeate all the books.

Wasn't there something like 40,000 books in that collection. I don't know how CGC can even keep up with all the collections that have come on market in the past 2 years.

I wonder... how much that cost to grade all that? CGC must have made a mint in that deal.

That plus maybe thousands of Suscha's, Rocky Mountain's, TC's and all those resub's I don't know how they can keep up these past 2 years.

And while I think the TC's and Rocky's are nice examples and have solid runs. Why I tend to champion the Savannah's is because of the depth and breadth. They have some of the best DC's ever graded, it seems that Marvel mania has risen in the Pedigree realm but the Savannah's have the nicest DC's this side of the White Mountain and Pac Coasts AND have gret Marvels. If you were to pull the lists of the books in each of the Peds (TC, RMs and Savannah) and look at them side by side I think the on paper quality of the Savannah's would cause some people to reconsider, though the PQ is a down grade, it does not permeate all the books.

Agreed, lot of internet chatter permeating chat forums talking about brown books but they were not all like that. Plenty of white pagers and clean books - and yes, it's tough to find a collection with so much quality variety.

I think people are getting too misled by the White pages that appear on a surprisingly high number of Savannahs.

While I haven't seen any in person, various collectors whose opinions I highly respect have told me that even the White page Savannahs just don't have the fresh appearance that one might expect of a White paged book. They might not be toasty, but they definitely rank lower than the Toths and Oregons in terms of freshness and pop, including Toths and Oregons with less than White pages (granted there aren't a lot of Oregons with less than White pages).

Having said that, the Savannahs are impressive in their breadth and depth, and for early DC War collectors are pretty close to the Promised Land.

I think people are getting too misled by the White pages that appear on a surprisingly high number of Savannahs.

While I haven't seen any in person, various collectors whose opinions I highly respect have told me that even the White page Savannahs just don't have the fresh appearance that one might expect of a White paged book. They might not be toasty, but they definitely rank lower than the Toths and Oregons in terms of freshness and pop, including Toths and Oregons with less than White pages (granted there aren't a lot of Oregons with less than White pages).

Having said that, the Savannahs are impressive in their breadth and depth, and for early DC War collectors are pretty close to the Promised Land.

And for every white page Savannah there is 100+ cream paged books. Thankfully their breadth and depth are mostly krappy DC's, you can have them. :baiting:

The Suscha News books are to me what the Savannah's are to obscure DC titles guys. I totally get why people think Suscha shouldn't have gotten Pedigree status but for BA junkies like me, it is definitely the promised land. Just tons and tons of highest graded copies that were kind of hard to come by before. Almost every single one of them not only has white pages but they are so bright and glossy they look like they were printed today. The Avengers copies, which obviously I love, from like 90-130 are un freaking real looking! :cloud9:

Granted its a bunch of BA junk that guys like Tim probably aren't too interested in but for guys into some nice BA stuff like me and surfer, they are freaking awesome!!! (worship)

Since I've been out of the loop for the last year, not sure what these pedigrees consist of. Among all pedigrees, are these in the middle of the pack, or closer to top-tier????

I would have to say the Billy Wright pedigrees were the best find since the Church pedigrees.