• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supermen: A book every GA fan should read/ own.

9 posts in this topic

I was at the library today and I came across this book. I've never heard of it and never seen it discussed here on the boards so I thought I'd share it with you guys. The book is called Supermen by fantagraphics books. It features a collection of stories from Centaur, fox, MLJ, fiction house and more before the big superhero boom in the late 30s early 40s. It's got beautiful reprints of the pages that are bright and colorful but they still have that old look to them.

IMG_5826.jpg

Here is an awesome two page story by Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster from Comics Magazine #1 (May 1936)

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_7769.jpg

And here is the table of contents that shows you what covers they have reprinted (which are bright and beautiful full page illustrations) and also the stories it features and from what comic it came from.

IMG_9371.jpg

Here's an example of the full page covers and also of the pages that are reprinted.

IMG_1461.jpg

Jon Berk (JBComicBox) and I are mentioned in the credits. Jon contributed several of the stories and I contributed one (Mr. Justice) which was deleted from the final copy. I guess I was mentioned because I suggested some of the comics, such as the Claw story from Silver Streak 7

By the way, Jon may be envied more for his original art collection and recreations by comic masters than his comic book collection. Not that there is anything wrong with his comic collection.