• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

I guess that might be a 2nd print cover (if it goes to 2nd print). Was issue 3 the last issue to be reprinted? I hope they do something with that cover. IMO, definitely one of the best.

There is also a Phantom cover for issue 6 by Rossmo (and again, much better than the Irving cover...which may be the absolute worst comic cover I have seen all year).

The colors are just so damn depressing.

I think I might go and buy the 2nd or phantom prints to be honest.

and i agree jjeanius, has to be the worst comic cover I have seen in a long while, but no matter, i buy it for the story and interior artwork

I've been here 9 years longer than you and you have 1500 more posts. That's pretty amazing! lol

Edit: Also, I agree that Nick should pimp Bedlam a bit more. Consensus around these parts is that it's his best book. It's probably because I'm collecting the hell out of it. That's usually the kiss of death.

Kiss of death?!

Don't say that! This is the first new book I've gotten into! :tonofbricks:

Yeesh. These covers just get worse and worse.

Not surprised that, once again, the Rossmo cover kicks the out of the regular cover.

+1

Even though the #4 Irving cover creeps the sh*t outta me. hm

I've personally never understood why on some books the cover artist is not the interior artist, it's the books sales window, I am very aesthetically driven and a lot of times I won't read a book if I don't like the cover art. Thankfully with this book when the thread started someone posted a pic of the Forbidden Planet #1 cover, which still kicks aass IMHO, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked up the book and missed out on my favourite title.

I believe I was the first person to mention that I felt that the 1st print covers directly affected the popularity of the book and I stand by that, I know Nick Spencer is a friend of Frazer's and will stand by him but sometimes you just gotta do, what you gotta do... thank Frazer for his input and move him on, get Ryan Browne to do the covers and this book will heat up big style.

Nick if you read this, I'm sorry, but that's how I feel, still love the book and your work

(thought I better add this after the last unexpected Nick punking of a poster lol )

I think you guys are overplaying the influence the cover art has over the lack of success of the series.

There are lots of series that have large followings, but I think the covers are horrible...Not a good one in the bunch. Manhattan Projects is a prime example. The interior art is somewhat crude, the covers as appealing as textbooks. But the series is awesome !

While a nice cover is always pleasing, it ultimately has little or nothing to do with whether or not I read a series. In fact, the art as a whole plays second to the writing. It's the same logic as why I find South Park or The Simpsons so entertaining, despite the artwork.

I think "Bedlham" is a victim of several factors. One being a morbid subject matter. A release at one of the hottest times for Image and comics in general. The avalanche of great material that has come forth the past 18 months or so has been overwhelming for fans. Add in the immense hype prior to the NYCC and the drama playing out over artists, it can draw attention away from what a great book it is.

I think you guys are overplaying the influence the cover art has over the lack of success of the series.

There are lots of series that have large followings, but I think the covers are horrible...Not a good one in the bunch. Manhattan Projects is a prime example. The interior art is somewhat crude, the covers as appealing as textbooks. But the series is awesome !

While a nice cover is always pleasing, it ultimately has little or nothing to do with whether or not I read a series. In fact, the art as a whole plays second to the writing. It's the same logic as why I find South Park or The Simpsons so entertaining, despite the artwork.

I think "Bedlham" is a victim of several factors. One being a morbid subject matter. A release at one of the hottest times for Image and comics in general. The avalanche of great material that has come forth the past 18 months or so has been overwhelming for fans. Add in the immense hype prior to the NYCC and the drama playing out over artists, it can draw attention away from what a great book it is.

M:

Your wisdom abounds.

I think you are spot on. IMHO, the cover is only one factor in a series of factors:

(1) over-hyped

(2) violence

(3) questionable cover art

(4) too many great titles competing for attention

(5) too many variants

(6) speculation

We have addressed each of these (exhaustively), however, I still don't get the violence (2) turn off when soooo many other series are at or above the same content. Regarding number four on my list, it seems like every month (or other month) a new title is coming on the scene and dominating over previous great titles. Nowhere men was the talk of the town until EoW popped up. Both are awesome, but speculation is a factor as well.

I guess, for me, I'm glad we're still talking about Bedlam and know its a great series. Hang in there guys, it's one of my favs (thumbs u

R