• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Bedlam was a big word-of-mouth book and I know several people who picked it up who hadn't bough any comic book in years, but because of the delays new readers were lost as quickly as they were gained. For example, my brother was only going to the LCS so many times with a 5 year old in tow to look for something that wasn't there before he said F-it.

How many of us will be wary of buying big into Spencer's new Image series, 3 of them I think, because of the unreliability factor?

If this is the end for Bedlam, I don't know what "down the road" really means, it's the Sex Pistols or X-Ray Spex of comics. Too-brief greatness and wondering what else could have been. Of course, the caveat is that it could have been the Clash who left us with a few horrible albums after their peak. Don't tell me you can make it all the way through Sandinista without wanting to smash it! :kidaround:

Bedlam was a big word-of-mouth book and I know several people who picked it up who hadn't bough any comic book in years, but because of the delays new readers were lost as quickly as they were gained. For example, my brother was only going to the LCS so many times with a 5 year old in tow to look for something that wasn't there before he said F-it.

How many of us will be wary of buying big into Spencer's new Image series, 3 of them I think, because of the unreliability factor?

If this is the end for Bedlam, I don't know what "down the road" really means, it's the Sex Pistols or X-Ray Spex of comics. Too-brief greatness and wondering what else could have been. Of course, the caveat is that it could have been the Clash who left us with a few horrible albums after their peak. Don't tell me you can make it all the way through Sandinista without wanting to smash it! :kidaround:

Oh Bondage. Up Yours. :headbang:

The book had 11 issues out in about 14 and a half months. I have never seen fairly modest delays more overstated than on this book. Same thing with the variants. Not sure why we were targeted for such selective outrage, but hey, it is what it is.

We'll be back very soon, with our best story yet, I think. We're taking time to get some issues done before we solicit. Very excited about the artist on the next arc as well.

Edited by Nick Spencer

The book had 11 issues out in about 14 and a half months. I have never seen fairly modest delays more overstated than on this book. Same thing with the variants. Not sure why we were targeted for such selective outrage, but hey, it is what it is.

We'll be back very soon, with our best story yet, I think. Very excited about the artist on the next arc as well.

:applause:

Good luck Nick. (thumbs u

We'll be back very soon, with our best story yet, I think. We're taking time to get some issues done before we solicit. Very excited about the artist on the next arc as well.

NICK!! (worship)

Don't worry bud! We'll try to keep everyone in check here! (thumbs u Very excited! Who is the next artist? We can't wait! :banana:

Tell us more! And it's not so bad here. :gossip: Don't go over to the Nowhere Men Thread. :eek:

2cdaic5.gif

@Nick

The thing about these boards is that not only do you have some of the biggest fans of comics, its also the main hub of the secondary market.

I don't think Bedlam has been centered out for delays or variants, as both exist across all of the comic publishers.

Bedlam just happened to occur at an inflection point in the comic market as a whole. Speculation is rampant in the secondary market, and probably at the highest its been since the 90s bubble burst.

Bedlam was launched during that time period but also had a perfect storm of events surrounding its launch.

1.) It's rarest variant, the B&W Sketch was released BEFORE the book

2.) A CGC slabbed 9.8 was rushed and put up for sale on ebay, while most people were still fighting to try and get any copy of it at all.

3.) That first Sketch 9.8 was sold "BuyItNow" to some person who decided they were willing to overpay to the tune of $500.00 for it.

4.) Once the secondary market saw that price point, plus how well the book was being promoted and reviewed, it turned into a feeding frenzy.

The end result was that speculators drove up the print run of the first issue, and were buying up all the variants, which fueled even more variant sales, etc.

Once the impossible price point of $500.00 was realized to be a mirage (of just one person), the prices on the B&W sketches started to fall.

They pulled down the rest of the variants, and all of the speculators started dumping massive quantities of the book trying to cut their losses.

The secondary market is a double-edged sword. It needs to be courted because it creates buzz, pulls in new readers, and can create self sustained feedback (like Saga). But, it can also create drag/dead weight and turn to negative buzz with copies piling up dirt cheap in large quantities on ebay.

What you are seeing here is people trying to rationalize WHY a series they like so much, is not stronger on the secondary market.

Small numbers of variants tend to hold their prices better, due to the more limited availablity, hence the variant comments. Delays or even breaks (again Saga), also get comments where people try to rationalize secondary markets in light of them.

In the end, the people who read bedlam seem to really like it. It is speculators who pushed the print run too high to begin with, and then brought it lower afterwards. Its speculation that is the source of any negative buzz, which really has nothing to do with writing and artwork

Keep putting out a strong book, and as the over supply, caused by speculators, works its way out of the system the negative comments will fade away. Secondary market prices will stabilize, and the secondary market can once again start being a positive source of buzz.

Edited by CBT

Wow.

I feel like I've been so used to negativity at this point (not just from you brother, in general :foryou: ) I almost didn't read.

Some terrific points there. :applause:

I love this book. I've always said that. Nick, if you read back a couple of pages, you'd see I wasn't the biggest fan of Ryan's work. I really loved Riley's. (shrug) I understand something happened there so that ship has saled.

I hope you come back more and talk to us when you can. It's so great when creators reach out to the fans here. I know that Frank Barbiere does it often in the Five Ghosts thread and I think that's awesome.

I for one would love to see you post more often around here. We're not all negative. (thumbs u

Any news you can share on the upcoming artist? :baiting:

Much sooner, thanks.

:whee:

We get butthurt when it's late because we love the book and Madder Red so much, probably my favorite character since Rorschach. For me it has nothing at all to do with the secondary market.

So glad to hear it's gonna be back

I'll say this. I love Madder Red. But has his "look" changed??? (shrug)

I mean - in the first issue, I feel like he was wearing a butcher's black apron or something like that. Or a black summer dress or something. :/

2gtq4pg.jpg

Then it seems it was changed to a more streamlined look. Am I completely wrong? I guess I'll have to go back and look.

But that first issue was amazing. :cloud9:

*crickets*

Maybe he was just sleeping? (shrug)

I don't know. I feel like he's a ninja. He comes in unexpectedly - does a :sumo: - drops a smoke pellet and doesn't return for a couple of months.

I was just hoping to :baiting: him into staying a little longer and actually chatting with us.

He doesn't have to always come in and say "Bedlam is doing fine! Stop bi tching!" and then disappearing. (shrug)