• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paging Darth Diesel

30 posts in this topic

Darth, I have a US postal query I hope you can help with.

A couple of months back I bought a lot from a US dealer and paid for airmail shipping to England. The books didn't arrive and I contacted the seller on a few occassions. After about 6 weeks he sent the following e-mail - "It seems obvious now that the post office screwed up and sent this surface instead of airmail. Which was definitely a waste of money on my part. I'm sure there's no way to get it back either."

The books arrived today, a 6lb 10oz package that cost $27.50 to mail. They arrived in a big sack (box inside) with a label on the outside saying M-Bag with the Books designation ticked.

My question is, would it have been possible for him to have sent the goods this way and not known they were going surface mail or would it have been completely obvious that this wasn't airmail?

Thanks.

I'm not Darth (but I occassionally cross-dress like him tongue.gif), but as I have shipped overseas quite a few times, I think I can answer for you.

The M-bag is the cheapest and slowest way to send large items. It is, actually, notoriously slow. I cannot see how the shipper in question would not know this. I've sent a few M-bags, and everytime I get one, the PO employee tells you that it will take upto XXX-weeks to arrive, and is this OK?

I would write the seller, and voice you displeasure. Maybe they will refund you some shipping costs. M-bag to Belgium is less than $10. No way an M-bag to UK is $27+.

Hope that helps. Sorry that a shipping profiteer got you. sorry.gif

Few people know this, but there is an option to send Mbags through air-mail...but these usually arrive within two weeks, price for this is $2.50/pound

Why don't you check the Mbag label, the postage should be clearly visible and you can see if you were cheated or not...

Oh and Chrisco, get with the programme....regular surface mail is WAY slower than Mbags, Surface mail can take 2-3 months, Mbags take 6 weeks...

Having said that, I have an M-bag in transit which has been "traveling" for nearly 9 weeks now.... makepoint.gif

I would write the seller, and voice you displeasure. Maybe they will refund you some shipping costs. M-bag to Belgium is less than $10. No way an M-bag to UK is $27+.

Hope that helps. Sorry that a shipping profiteer got you. sorry.gif

Thanks. Actually, the label on the M-Bag clearly has a $27.50 USPS label on.

The postage cost is slightly complicated - I bought a lot (50 books) that hadn't sold first time around. I made the seller an offer and the offer included airmail postage. We haggled a bit and when we agreed a price, he relisted the lot with a BIN for the agreed price.

I figured he might have decided to save a few dollars on the shipping. Having waited 2 months for the books, I'm fairly aggrieved, but if it's an honest mistage I don't mind. How much would a 6lb 10oz package by airmail normally cost?

The seller had to describe (on a label) what's the M-BAG contains.

So it's obvious that he voluntarily send your books using a M-BAG... Unless the post employee is a dishonest person confused.gif

Few people know this, but there is an option to send Mbags through air-mail...but these usually arrive within two weeks, price for this is $2.50/pound

Hmmm. Sounds like the guy did get shafted somehow. 7lb should have cost $17.50, but it definitely had $27.50 on and he may well have taken the M-Bag airmail option. He seems to have gotten something wrong somewhere, but if his intent was honest, I'm happy.

What is the postmark on the M-bag. Maybe seller didn't send them out when you thought he did.

And Chrom...thanks for pointing out yet another of my -ups. With friends like you...... tongue.gif Why don't you just post my S&M pic next time for good measure. sumo.gifgrin.gif

The seller had to describe (on a label) what's the M-BAG contains.

So it's obvious that he voluntarily send your books using a M-BAG... Unless the post employee is a dishonest person confused.gif

The writing on the M-Bag label is the same as the writing on the USPS Customs Declaration form (CP72) on the interior box. The seller had to sign that, so he must have filled the label in too. It's looking like the guy might have been misdirected?

What is the postmark on the M-bag. Maybe seller didn't send them out when you thought he did.

The seller did ship the goods quite a bit later than he said he had, but the postmark is 25th May, so it took a little over 5 weeks, which seems a long time for airmail.

And Chrom...thanks for pointing out yet another of my -ups. With friends like you...... tongue.gif Why don't you just post my S&M pic next time for good measure. sumo.gifgrin.gif

Well if you twist my arm like that....

chriscogay.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well if you twist my arm like that....

chriscogay.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

Eyes Burning, Must Find Emergency Eye Wash Station............

I would like to understand once and for all: Who is wearing this helmet ?

Is it you Chrom, or is it Chris ? 893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gif

It's James (Fantastic Four)....like I would do something like that... tongue.gif

(btw Chrisco would and has though..... confused-smiley-013.gif)