• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

I don't see an issue with that drawing (shrug)

Also, that inking looks like either Gordon or Ordway and an inker change subtle things.

I like Byrne, and I did not say there is any serious "issue". I simply underlined that Byrne could not grasp the specific subtleties of small children, and tends to draw all of them like they were 8-9 years old.

I don’t know how much you are familiar with Jon Bogdanove’s work on Power Pack, but I assure you he really can’t match him as far as children goes.

You are right on Ordway, anyway. When Byrne was on the Champions, or when inked by more detailed inkers (like Sinnott) it was breathtaking. :)

Greggy summarized everything quite good, anyway! lol

I don't see an issue with that drawing (shrug)

Also, that inking looks like either Gordon or Ordway and an inker change subtle things.

I like Byrne, and I did not say there is any serious "issue". I simply underlined that Byrne could not grasp the specific subtleties of small children, and tends to draw all of them like they were 8-9 years old.

I don’t know how much you are familiar with Jon Bogdanove’s work on Power Pack, but I assure you he really can’t match him as far as children goes.

You are right on Ordway, anyway. When Byrne was on the Champions, or when inked by more detailed inkers (like Sinnott) it was breathtaking. :)

Greggy summarized everything quite good, anyway! lol

I will take that from Greggy. I will not take it from you...and I disagree with you.

(shrug)

I will take that from Greggy. I will not take it from you...and I disagree with you.

(shrug)

Hey, I was kidding! :baiting:

I don’t know how to explain my point better. You have got to look at how artists draw children closely. Power Pack by Bogdanove is a great start! (thumbs u

(shrug)

I don’t know how to explain my point better. You have got to look at how artists draw children closely. Power Pack by Bogdanove is a great start! (thumbs u

I like Bogdanove as an artist and I like schlock titles. Unfortunately Power Pack is a bit too schlocky even for my taste :)

I still don't agree with you :baiting:

I like Bogdanove as an artist and I like schlock titles. Unfortunately Power Pack is a bit too schlocky even for my taste :)

Power Pack is not "schlocky" by any means – like most titles it just had its ups and downs but there are stories and arcs which easily put to shame a good deal of the other titles at the time. If you already read them, I think you’d need to re-read them. ;)

If you can’t see what I mean by looking at Bogdanove’s rendition of children, I really don’t know how to explain it better. It requires attention to the facial expression and bodily features of children. :)

Drawing children is even more difficult than drawing certain animals, which are renowned to be tough, like horses.

(shrug)

Cartooning (which describes most comic book art) is about creating a convincing illusion. Some find one style more convincing than another.

We might as well argue that Charles Schulz drew children poorly, or that Bob Bolling did. Their styles are not realistic, but convincing in the context of their own worlds.

I reject all opinions on comic book casting based on preferring a character's "nineties look".

2c

Okay (shrug)

Magneto by and large has always been in peak physical shape with being in his 50's look. Ian has never looked the part. He looks old and weak.

You are right in the sense that Magneto has always been depicted quite muscular, since the beginning. But we must remember that any super-hero (or super-villain) type was depicted as more-muscular-than-average up to when new artists with a subtle approach (like Neal Adams in the Silver Age or John Byrne in the Bronze Age) started to differentiate the characterization.

Magneto's transformation from a super-powered madman with no backstory to a sympathetic victim of multiple generations of discrimination is more striking than the change to his visual depiction over the same course of time.

Comic Book Magneto:

magneto-jim-lee1_zps9aca00b0.jpg

Who looks the part?

A

Magneto.jpg

or

B

richard_gere.jpg

Ian is a great actor however he looks to old and feeble to play magneto IMO.

Gere looks that part no? (shrug)

hm

Interesting comparison.

Comic Book Magneto:

Who looks the part?

A

Magneto.jpg

or

B

richard_gere.jpg

hm

Interesting comparison.

Magneto in the movies was also a child during World War II. I don't buy Richard Gere as an 80 year old man.

Magneto in the movies was also a child during World War II. I don't buy Richard Gere as an 80 year old man.

As much as I like Gere in certain roles, I just can't see him pulling off Magneto's role. But I get where SOT was going with the comparison to X-Men Vol. 2's version.

Power Pack is not "schlocky" by any means – like most titles it just had its ups and downs but there are stories and arcs which easily put to shame a good deal of the other titles at the time. If you already read them, I think you’d need to re-read them. ;)

If you can’t see what I mean by looking at Bogdanove’s rendition of children, I really don’t know how to explain it better. It requires attention to the facial expression and bodily features of children. :)

Drawing children is even more difficult than drawing certain animals, which are renowned to be tough, like horses.

Aren't you the same guy who said Spider-Woman wasn't schlocky? You may love Power Pack, but it is pure schlock.

You don't need to explain art to me. We disagree about this particular topic and you're not going to change my mind on how I view it. (shrug)

Comic Book Magneto:

Who looks the part?

A

Magneto.jpg

or

B

richard_gere.jpg

hm

Interesting comparison.

True,but Gere looks like Magneto in the comics more than McKellen hm

Only reason this movie has a small chance of doing well is because of the suburb actor from my Avatar from New Jersey!

Excuse me? Do you not notice Stewart and McKellen in that picture?

Who's the d-bag NOW? ;)

Peace,

Chip

McKellen is an excellent actor, but a terrible Magneto.

Not his fault though.

Magneto is supposed to older but still young looking.

Richard Gere IMO was a no brainer for the role. Look wise anyway.

Stewart was everyones obvious choice for Professor X so I am glad they got one think right.

Jackman as 7' 2" Wolverine........ :screwy:

Richard Gere. lol

You are absolutely correct, that is a no-brainer.

Comic Book Magneto:

Who looks the part?

A

Magneto.jpg

or

B

richard_gere.jpg

That's just one version of comic book Magneto - and not a very good one.

It would have been easier to make Gere look older than to make McKellen look younger. I'm not sure that Gere would have brought the sense of majesty to the role that McKellen evokes. If only we could have blended the best of both. :)

It would have been easier to make Gere look older than to make McKellen look younger. I'm not sure that Gere would have brought the sense of majesty to the role that McKellen evokes. If only we could have blended the best of both. :)

I was thinking that (and said the same about Gere). He has the comic book looks, but not the star punch to pull off this major role.

I was thinking that (and said the same about Gere). He has the comic book looks, but not the star punch to pull off this major role.

There is only one true Magneto

james_zps7e7aca39.jpg