• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Fantastic Four thread

21 posts in this topic

........another new collector asking you old dogs for some advice.

I have only recently been able to pursue quenching the fever that was started in most of us as kids: the other worlds that comics bring us. I remember Mom bringing me Fantastic Four's from the gift shop in the hospital where she worked.

Unlike many of you seem in your posts, average grade copies make me quite happy. As long as they are intact, I am glad other people got to enjoy the artwork, storylines, and advertisements as I am doing today. My questions are these:

When I finally complete my run of affordable grade FF 2-100 (ill take a golden reprint for #1 until I hit hit the lotto) will I cease to be pleased with low grade comics?

Will other comics insinuate themselves into my nervous system, causing endorphin rushes at each new addition?

How do comic book conventions compare with internet buying as far as variety and pricing, shipping and handling considered.

Does liking Groo make me weird?

Any help in the above issues will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Boards!

While I started out a DC fan, I quickly became a hardcore FF collector. I also liked Captain America and Avengers.

Oh, and Hulk and Marvel Two-In-One.

And Marvel Team-Up and Strange Tales.

Umm...

And Inhumans, Invaders, Super-Villain Team-Up, Ms. Marvel, Thor, Tales of Suspense...

So, it is OK to let the other books make your home their home.

As time goes on, I find that I am getting a little less picky about grade (if I ever actually want to own some of the books on my list), so when you achieve FF 2-100 (and don't stop there... there's good stuff from 100-200, too smile.gif ) you'll probably have different ideas as well.

Conventions - I've found - can offer great deals as well as utter discouragement. So, my best advice there is to go to several by different promoters to see which - if any - suit your style.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

If you're looking to build a low/midgrade collection, ebay is the best way to go IMO. eBay is a minefield when it comes to picky HG collectors, but if you are happy in the 4.0 - 8.0 range, you can't beat the deals on ebay for almost all non-key books. Much cheaper than shows or dealer catalogs.

I'd bet you could build a FF run for about $10 - $15 a book in the 6.0 range with the exception of a handful of issues (under 40 and key issues.)

As I've upgraded, I practically have to give away my 4.0 - 6.0 silver age issues. 893frustrated.gif

When I finally complete my run of affordable grade FF 2-100 (ill take a golden reprint for #1 until I hit hit the lotto) will I cease to be pleased with low grade comics?

I'm currently working on the same thing, and once I'm done, I think I will be happy. But, then I will try to upgrade when I can. Once you see how beautiful a HG copy looks like (Tripps FF#1 and #5 come to mind. Absolutely stunning!), it's hard not to get the "bug". Right now, cost is all that prevents me from going for a VF or better only run.

Will other comics insinuate themselves into my nervous system, causing endorphin rushes at each new addition?

Maybe, maybe not. But more than likely, you will find some other books to sate your hunger.

How do comic book conventions compare with internet buying as far as variety and pricing, shipping and handling considered.

Cons are the best as you can actually hold the item in hand as opposed to a scan. You can sometimes catch a good deal on eBay if an issues slips thru the cracks. Or, you can just do the smart thing and buy from Bob Storms online or at a con. He's the best dealer around, IMO.

Does liking Groo make me weird?

Yes. grin.gif

Welcome to the Boards! smile.gif

Or, you can just do the smart thing and buy from Bob Storms online or at a con. He's the best dealer around

Bob is as "collector friendly" as any high grade dealer that has ever been in this business. So, I second the motion..deal with Bob if high grade is your game.

As for advice on asembling a low/mid grade run, if I were you, I would try to put together $500-$1,500 and wait patiently on ebay for a nice, near complete run of books to become available. As long as the seller is reputable, you'll save yourself a pretty penny over trying to assemble the run piecemeal (you should save a few hundred bucks in shipping charges alone!). This is especially the way to go for issues # 50-up which are uber common in the middle and lower grades.

Or, you can just do the smart thing and buy from Bob Storms online or at a con. He's the best dealer around

Bob is as "collector friendly" as any high grade dealer that has ever been in this business. So, I second the motion..deal with Bob if high grade is your game.

As for advice on asembling a low/mid grade run, if I were you, I would try to put together $500-$1,500 and wait patiently on ebay for a nice, near complete run of books to become available. As long as the seller is reputable, you'll save yourself a pretty penny over trying to assemble the run piecemeal (you should save a few hundred bucks in shipping charges alone!). This is especially the way to go for issues # 50-up which are uber common in the middle and lower grades.

Shameless Commercial plug:

I am selling a mid grade complete run of FF from 6-100 with all the annuals over the next month! grin.gifhi.gif

I should have the 51-100 up as a lot next week but they are Fine to VF and maybe a little over the grade you were looking for.

6-50 are GVG to near Fine and I'll list those those individually a little later in the month or perhaps early August.

sumo.gif

And...

Welcome to the Boards!

Fellow FF collectors are always wecome! thumbsup2.gif

Especially those who are buying! gossip.gifcool.gifshy.gif

And...

Welcome to the Boards!

Fellow FF collectors are always wecome! thumbsup2.gif

Especially those who are buying! gossip.gifcool.gifshy.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

I am selling a mid grade complete run of FF from 6-100 with all the annuals over the next month! grin.gifhi.gif

Why are you selling them?

Cause I need the money... tonofbricks.gif

They are extras btw. smile.gif

As I've upgraded, I practically have to give away my 4.0 - 6.0 silver age issues. 893frustrated.gif

Need my address? smile.gif

Oh, and to the original poster, don't feel out of place around here. The thing that we all DO share is a love for comics. I'm also a person who only collects reader copies, and I love them. I treat them well, but if I happen to do something to it by accident, I don't have a seizure.

I think I have some reader copies I can get rid of, although they're way above issue #100. Send me a PM if you'd like.

Why are you selling them?

Cause I need the money... tonofbricks.gif

They are extras btw. smile.gif

Any issues you are looking for?