• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

high grade Big Little Book prices

41 posts in this topic

Many years ago, Collectors Bookstore had three mint sets. One sold to a midswestern university and the other two went to private collectors. It was a real joy to see them side by side by side up in the Mezzanine.

Larry Lowery has been the main BLB collector for many years, and just looking at his guide books, especially his latest on the Golden Age of BLBs, is a treat. His collection is amazing.

Geppi used his typical collecting procedure on the BLBs. After he couldn't buy Lowery's collection, he bought another one that was complete at such a strong price that the guy just figured he would have the fun of doing it again for himself.

Mickey Mouse and the Bat Bandit was one of the first I remember, but I never really enjoyed reading them because they were so small and they were in black and white and I always preferred color. But the cover art was great, and the back cover art was even better in many cases on the early books.

One little tip for new BLB collectors is to cut a strip of that white foam material to stick underneath the pages of a high grade BLB if you display it standing up--that way the pages won't pull down and tear away from the spine.

One little tip for new BLB collectors is to cut a strip of that white foam material to stick underneath the pages of a high grade BLB if you display it standing up--that way the pages won't pull down and tear away from the spine.

This is why I still read the boards every day. Learning :cloud9:

Jungle Jim is another favorite of mine.

Since he generally doesn't get much attention here on the boards, I thought I'd one of his BLB's.

JungleJimSpine.jpgJungleJim.jpg

I think I have that Big LIttle Book.

I do have it - thnx to Yellow Kid and others who have participated in this thread as it motivated me to pull my BLB's (I have less than 20) out of storage today, and they are very cool books.

It's been so long since I've looked at them, it's rather refreshing to rediscover these again. Like comics and pulps, BLB's are a part of our entertainment cultural identity.

I found one of the Jungle Jim books but not the other. It may be in another box or chalk it up to my faulty memory.

7752878946_3179d0c561_c.jpg

Okay boys and girls feast your eyes on my newest upgrade! Wahoo!!!!!!!!

Jeff's going to hate me. :)

JCOMBLB.jpgJCOMBLBSpine.jpg

Love that John Carter book and liked the movie too.

Here are a few more from my collection.

7755658184_1bdcea5746_c.jpg

My experience is on the uber nice BLB's they will command prices in the hundreds.

I think I paid $200 for my copy of Tarzan and the Golden Lion. This was around 5 years ago and I've not found a nicer copy since. Here it is.

TarzanandtheGoldenLion-1.jpg

TarzanandtheGoldenLion1-1.jpg

This is my nicest BLB and it does have white pages. It's a file copy. I paid $700 for it and was happy to do so. I've never seen a copy anywhere approaching the grade of this book.

TarzanapesBLB.jpg

TarzanapesBLBspine.jpg

Although I am a little bit surprised since they are no longer in the public spotlight anymore, but it's good to know that nice copies of these BLB's are still commanding over guide prices! (thumbs u

Especially considering that I had paid something like $800 for my one and only BLB, and that was pretty well 20 years ago. :o

There's a chance for me yet! :whee:

Do you still have the BLB you bought back then?

Most BLB collectors I've been around are satisfied with mid grade copies.

In my case, I have been upgrading the Burroughs BLB's in my collection for 20 plus years now. It's a challange to say the least to find super high grade copies.

It is becoming rarer and rarer that I find a true upgrade. When I do, I prounce on it. I don't know how many BLB collectors want a truely high grade copy and are willing to pay for it when they find it.

The John Carter of Mars I posted above is by far the best copy I have seen in 20 years. Think about that, someone actively hunting the best copy and only just now finding it. (trust me, I will still be looking for better but I feel this may be it.)

Rich is obviously on the hunt and I wish him the very best of luck!! Rich has been finding some great BLB and related items (like fast action books) this past year. :applause:

That's a topnotch group of BLB's, BB. :applause:

Thanks BZ. I have duplicates of the Flash Gordon book but that is probably the same Buck Rogers. Buck stories have cool covers.

Here is a previously posted group shot.

5564204881_d1fa52a984_b.jpg

Do you still have the BLB you bought back then?

Most BLB collectors I've been around are satisfied with mid grade copies.

In my case, I have been upgrading the Burroughs BLB's in my collection for 20 plus years now. It's a challange to say the least to find super high grade copies.

It is becoming rarer and rarer that I find a true upgrade. When I do, I prounce on it. I don't know how many BLB collectors want a truely high grade copy and are willing to pay for it when they find it.

The John Carter of Mars I posted above is by far the best copy I have seen in 20 years. Think about that, someone actively hunting the best copy and only just now finding it. (trust me, I will still be looking for better but I feel this may be it.)

As a matter of fact, I do still have it since I passed on the opportunity to sell it a few years after I had acquired it. Interesting story to the whole thing, but rather a bit long

After paying $800 for the BLB, I must have had buyer's remorse and complained that I must have overpaid for the book since I kept hearing stories about how BLB's were only selling for $20 or $50. To my surprise when I recieved the package in the mail near Christmas, inside were courtesy file copies of Overstreet's price guide #2 and #3. I guess it must have been my complaining, but he said no and that the books were actually a Christmas gift which he had gotten Bob to personally signed for me. A real nice gesture on the part of the seller and not the first time he has done that. (thumbs u

Fast forward a few years later and I received a call from the seller asking if I would be interested in reselling the BLB since I had expressed some concern about being able to resell it for a profit. Apparently there was a serious collector in the Mid-West who was trying to put a complete collection together and would be interested in paying something like $2,000 or $2,500 for my BLB. Extremely nice person when I contacted him and he explained to me that he had only another 10 or so BLB's to go to complete his collection, but already knew that the one which I had would be one of the hardest ones to acquire, and hence his generous offer. I thanked him for his expression of interest, but told him that I would have to give it some thought which he didn't have a problem with.

Later that summer at the SD Con, I bumped into Bob Overstreet and asked him for his advice on the BLB. He told me not to sell it as it would eventually become the Action #1 of the BLB's. Thought this was a bit of over enthuasiam on Bob's part and still do as this title would definitely fall on one of the Mickey Mouse or D. Tracy books. Probably more like an Ace Comics #1 or a Tip Top #1, but definitely not an Action 1. lol

Went over to the Metro booth and pulled Fishler aside and asked him about the BLB. Steve told me that he had a lot of books which he could sell to me and that $2K wouldn't really buy that much when it comes to comic books. I took that as Steve's backhanded way of telling me that it was better for me to hold onto the BLB as opposed to selling it and not being able to get back anything of real significance. :gossip:

Bottom-line: Still have the BLB, but :taptaptap::taptaptap:

Action #1, my foot, more like a Spawn #1 by the time it's all said and done. lol

Still have the BLB...

lou, any chance you'd care to share the book here? I know what a great eye you have for comics, so curiousity is up as to which BLB you're talking about.

Ditto!! You really have me wondering now!!!

That's a topnotch group of BLB's, BB. :applause:

Thanks BZ. I have duplicates of the Flash Gordon book but that is probably the same Buck Rogers. Buck stories have cool covers.

Here is a previously posted group shot.

5564204881_d1fa52a984_b.jpg

Now that's some great BLB's right there!

Do it, David! There are only a few comics, BLBs, some nice pop-ups, and you can add Prince Valiant and you would have all of the greatest early adventure heroes! Calkins was good, but you would also be adding Raymond and Foster, and they were great.

Still have the BLB...

lou, any chance you'd care to share the book here? I know what a great eye you have for comics, so curiousity is up as to which BLB you're talking about.

Ditto!! You really have me wondering now!!!

Really no big secret as I have mentioned it a few times on the board here.

It's the hardcover edition of the Big Little Mother Goose Book which Overstreet lists as "rare" in his BLB price guide. Nothing like a major character such as Mickey Mouse or D. Tracy. I don't believe Geppi had a copy in his collection during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening, but to tell you the honest truth, I wasn't really looking that hard. (shrug)

I am quite sure that BZ would have a copy in his collection of BLB's since he has almost everything. (thumbs u