• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gotcha!

36 posts in this topic

worst part was that one of them was a crying baby!

I love the that bring their babies to late shows and expect everyone else to put up with their kid. 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif I don't want to pay 10 bucks to listen to some stranger's kid cry for 2 hours. insane.gif Makes me want to put Social Services Hotline on my cell phone...

If you can't get a sitter, STAY HOME. It's called sacrifice and part of being a responsible parent.

sign-rantpost.gif

I went today to a 3:45pm showing of Spider-man 2 and the kids (I'd say about 10 years old) behind me decided to just start talking in normal voices to each other when the action scenes kicked in mid-movie. WTF?!? 893frustrated.gif

That's precisely why I don't go to afternoon shows. It's not right, but you have to expect noisy kids.

I don't expect infants at a 10pm show... so when it happens I'm not only annoyed with the noise, I'm friggin furious with the irresponsible and inconsiderate parents as well!!!!

sign-rantpost.gif

There was one kid who made noise toward the end of the Spider-Man movie but other people were "shhh"'ing him.

BTW What are the quality of theaters in your neck of the woods? I heard LA has the some of the best in the world because we're picky people.

I just saw Harry Potter in IMAX - it's unbelievable!

There was one kid who made noise toward the end of the Spider-Man movie but other people were "shhh"'ing him.

BTW What are the quality of theaters in your neck of the woods? I heard LA has the some of the best in the world because we're picky people.

I just saw Harry Potter in IMAX - it's unbelievable!

I find NYC theaters most annoying. There are a wide array of dolts to ruin your experience:

* In the outer boros you get the riff raff with cell phones, beepers, loud talking and laser pointers

* In Manhattan you get the "city intellectuals" who have to laugh loudly at every inside joke or witty line to show everyone else how smart they are and how they "get it." Never watch an old movie in Manhattan... I've watched revival screeneings of old films several times, and every time there are a bunch of jerk-offs that must show how superior and advanced they are by condescendingly laughing whenever there is a line that is [now] a bit corny.

* In general, theaters are dirty and not modernized. Thin walls where you can hear what's going on in the next theater 893frustrated.gif

* For popular movies, buy your tickets in advance or wait a few weeks. Lots of sell-outs.

Oh yeah... and it costs $10... insane.gifinsane.gif

Long Island is **slightly** better.

Now that I live in upstate NY, movie-going is much more enjoyable. Less crowded, newer theaters, don't have to get there early to get a ticket, better behaved people... life is much easier cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Now that I live in upstate NY, movie-going is much more enjoyable. Less crowded, newer theaters, don't have to get there early to get a ticket, better behaved people... life is much easier cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Upstate NY cloud9.gif I miss it sometimes...

Upstate NY cloud9.gif I miss it sometimes...

You have a place to stay if you ever want to visit. I'm right outside of Saratoga. hi.gif

The fact that it is available for free on the internet probably does affect box office sales negatively; otherwise why would the industry make such a big stink about it and start busting grandmothers and the pre-teen children doing it? confused-smiley-013.gif

No one who has the cash to pay for the theatre ticket or DVD is going to pirate crapola "screeners" off the Internet. Those who do are exactly who you stated, young kids with no money, and even crapp beats nothing.

Not true... there are plenty of people (one on this board in fact) who buy these and never intend to get a legit copy. However, here in the US it may be crappy street version but overseas it's the real deal.

I have a friend who has been living in the Philipines for the past 3 years. Every Monday on his way to work he stops off at his local "video store" and picks up the movies that were release over the weekend in the US. Originally these were just what you are talking about -- crappy "Seinfeld" versions. Now they are the actual DVDs.

Someone on the inside gets the screener DVDs and copies them. Then they FTP the files over to the "video dealers" who burn them onto DVDs. The quality is extremely high. I have some of them. If you are watching them on a standard or less than high-end TV you will not notice a difference. They simply take the DVD files and throw a nav screen on them -- BANG! -- DVD. BTW, he gets them for the equivalent of $3.

You many not see a big drop off in US business but this absolutely KILLS the overseas market.

I can definitely see this happening as I went to the Phillipines back in 1999 and remember picking up the latest PSX games for $1 for pirated copies and recall the latest US movies already out on VCD... I could even turn my PSX into a VCD player with a few nifty modifications and the quality is comparable to my VCR or better smile.gif

I can definitely see this happening as I went to the Phillipines back in 1999 and remember picking up the latest PSX games for $1 for pirated copies and recall the latest US movies already out on VCD... I could even turn my PSX into a VCD player with a few nifty modifications and the quality is comparable to my VCR or better smile.gif

Yup -- anything that can be duped is being duped over there. My friend like to play his PS2. After he had been over there for about 3 months I asked him if he wanted an PS2 games for his birthday. His reply... "Don't need any. Got 'em all for $1 each."

Movies are $7.75 for bargain matinee (before 6pm everyday)

I haven't paid full price in quite awhile so confused.gif

I suppose you have a different definition of full price. $7.75 is full price to me.

Movies are $7.75 for bargain matinee (before 6pm everyday)

I haven't paid full price in quite awhile so confused.gif

I suppose you have a different definition of full price. $7.75 is full price to me.

No duh! It sucks! I remember when full price was that! I'm just saying I havent'd paid "full" (the most for) ticket prices for a long time.

Oh yeah... and it costs $10... insane.gifinsane.gif

Actually it costs $10.25 to see a movie in NYC now... I find the quarter a little insulting personally.

I dont mind th eticket prices...

it sthe 6.75 plus tax more for a candy bar and a bottle of water!!!!

$9.75 here in the city, but if you use fandango add $1.50 to the price. crazy.gif as for dealing with kids, i went to the 12:30 a.m. show on tuesday night.....perfect! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I went to the 12:01am show and it was all adults and some teens.

The whole theater had been full and buzzing for about an hour...

so we were definitely ready to rock when the show started.

Everybody got real quiet when the credits started and then the guy on the row

behind me said... this!

I almost fell out of my chair. 893applaud-thumb.gif