• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Comics are a cultural embarassment"

60 posts in this topic

Furthermore, I think there are plenty of comic collectors who are equally as guilty in their own way of mischaracterizing comics (e.g., as belonging in the realms of high finance and/or fine literature/art) as this author. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you mean guys who come out and state that comics are better investments than traditional stocks? tongue.gif

There is something to be said for popular comics accurately graded and thoroughly checked for restoration that you don't pay too many multiples of guide for. Heck, look at Lucent, one of the stock markets former darlings, spun off at $7, worth $77 in 1999 and now is http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=LU&d=t

Gee seems like a White Ultimate Spiderman #1 debuing at what, $1.99 was a much better investment if held from "ipo" to the present day.

What a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a "my [!@#%^&^] doesn't stink" attitude. His jackoff friends are probably those type of "artists" that splatter paint on a wall and then try and suggest that it has some deeper inner meaning. 893censored-thumb.gif

Someone get that bug out of his arse.

Furthermore, I think there are plenty of comic collectors who are equally as guilty in their own way of mischaracterizing comics (e.g., as belonging in the realms of high finance and/or fine literature/art) as this author. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you mean guys who come out and state that comics are better investments than traditional stocks? tongue.gif

There is something to be said for popular comics accurately graded and thoroughly checked for restoration that you don't pay too many multiples of guide for. Heck, look at Lucent, one of the stock markets former darlings, spun off at $7, worth $77 in 1999 and now is http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=LU&d=t

Gee seems like a White Ultimate Spiderman #1 debuing at what, $1.99 was a much better investment if held from "ipo" to the present day.

Yes and I've cashed in long ago on my USM 1 white variant hoard ... I was posting merely for Gene's benefit as I know he's got a "soft spot" (special tier in Dante's Hell, more like 27_laughing.gif ) for investors in comic books tongue.gif

What a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a "my [!@#%^&^] doesn't stink" attitude. His jackoff friends are probably those type of "artists" that splatter paint on a wall and then try and suggest that it has some deeper inner meaning. 893censored-thumb.gif

This is exactly my point. Why do you get so angry and personal, just because he dosen't like comics? Can't someone not think highly of the hobby without being called an imbecile, complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, or a snob?

He has a deep dislike for comic books because he is probably a pseudo-intellectual snob and is closed off to the imagination and possibilities that exist in comic books.

Well, I agree with the gist of your comments and those of the previous posters that this was a very poorly constructed argument. However, I hope that people don't think that this guy is some kind of lone, anti-comics gunman out there, because the fact of the matter is that most of the rest of the population do not worship and revere comics like we do here. Furthermore, I think there are plenty of comic collectors who are equally as guilty in their own way of mischaracterizing comics as this author. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why am I not surprised that you would try and find some merit in this article? foreheadslap.gifWhat's your point? makepoint.gif

This is exactly my point. Why do you get so angry and personal, just because he dosen't like comics? Can someone not think highly of the hobby without being called an imbecile, complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, or a snob?

I thought he was referring to Michael Moore ...who is the very definition of cultural embarassment... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Again, the author goes on to look at the stereotypical comic shop owner as fat and resembling Jabba the Hut -- but of course has probably only seen Comic Book Guy from the Simpson's as a point of reference. I would guess that the author probably had some sort of conversation with a friend or a colleague recently regarding all the hype about Spider Man 2 and is bewildered by it. He can't understand how a juvenile medium has been launched into mainstream popularity. He has a deep dislike for comic books because he is probably a pseudo-intellectual snob and is closed off to the imagination and possibilities that exist in comic books.

What difference does someone's physical appearance have to do with his or her intelligence? My favorite sci-fi/fantasy writer, George R. R. Martin, looks like your typical comic store owner! And he's a brilliant writer!

gm-castle.jpg

What's your point?

His point is that if some of you weren't just looking at the world through "fanboy vision", you'd see that it's possible that there are people out there who don't think much of comics and comic characters as an artform, or even a decent form of entertainment. It's hard to grasp, I know, but not everyone gets horny touching a raw Hulk 181 without the mylar, or find a debate on who would win in a fight between Spidey and Wolverine intellectually stimulating.

This is exactly my point. Why do you get so angry and personal, just because he dosen't like comics? Can't someone not think highly of the hobby without being called an imbecile, complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, or a snob?

Maybe because by calling comics a "cultural embarrassment" he is also saying something about the people that actually like comics and go see these movies. And in the process of doing so he has come off a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, imbecile and a snob, well? I don't care if doesn't like comics but if you insult people in the process what do you expect? He is probably just looking to get some exposure and maybe an interview on CNN. I wonder how Stan Lee would feel if he read this article.

Why am I not surprised that you would try and find some merit in this article? foreheadslap.gifWhat's your point? makepoint.gif

What's my point? I think you've done a spectacular job of making my point for me. Nice to see that you're open-minded and secure enough with the hobby and your place in it that you can hear dissenting opinions about comics without spazzing out and proclaiming a jihad against infidel non-believers like this author. Oh no, wait, you aren't. flamed.gif

Maybe because by calling comics a "cultural embarrassment" he is also saying something about the people that actually like comics and go see these movies.

And why exactly do you get so upset over what one man thinks? Are you that desperate for this hobby to be validated by everyone? As far as I can see, almost ALL the reviews for this movie have been positive, so what more do you want? Does EVERYONE have to be in-love with this movie, and the hobby as a whole?

What's your point?

His point is that if some of you weren't just looking at the world through "fanboy vision", you'd see that it's possible that there are people out there who don't think much of comics and comic characters as an artform, or even a decent form of entertainment. It's hard to grasp, I know, but not everyone gets horny touching a raw Hulk 181 without the mylar, or find a debate on who would win in a fight between Spidey and Wolverine intellectually stimulating.

Yeah but I'm sick of hearing that kind of [!@#%^&^], go write a letter to the National Review telling him your thoughts because I just don't give a damn. If I spent all my time talking about this nonsense instead of looking at it from a fanboy perspective and enjoying comics then I wouldn't collect them and I wouldn't be on these boards. It gets bloody painfull after a while.

And why exactly do you get so upset over what one man thinks? Are you that desperate for this hobby to be validated by everyone? As far as I can see, almost ALL the reviews for this movie have been positive, so what more do you want? Does EVERYONE have to be in-love with this movie, and the hobby as a whole?

You're right. One shouldn't care what a single person thinks, and one should never bother arguing against another man's points.

Does EVERYONE have to be in-love with this movie, and the hobby as a whole?

I think that's the key, as the article praises Spidey 1 & 2, but slams comics books and their rather simplistic plots and ridiculous ideas. I see nothing wrong with that, and it's likely how 99% of audience members feel as well.

50 million people will probably see Spidey 2, and compare that to the USM comic book sales. 27_laughing.gif

Yeah but I'm sick of hearing that kind of [!@#%^&^], go write a letter to the National Review telling him your thoughts because I just don't give a damn. If I spent all my time talking about this nonsense instead of looking at it from a fanboy perspective and enjoying comics then I wouldn't collect them and I wouldn't be on these boards. It gets bloody painfull after a while.

So anything outside of the fanboy perspective, ie: the real world, is nonsense?

This kind of ridiculous attitude is the reason that fanboy stereotypes exist.

Oh, and I didn't realize that we can only express viewpoints here that you "give a damn" about.

What's my point? I think you've done a spectacular job of making my point for me. Nice to see that you're open-minded and secure enough with the hobby and your place in it that you can hear dissenting opinions about comics without spazzing out and proclaiming a jihad against infidel non-believers like this author. Oh no, wait, you aren't. flamed.gif

Hey buddy get a new angle, its boring and nobody cares. I have an open mind but you just beat this issue like a dead horse.

Hey buddy get a new angle, its boring and nobody cares. I have an open mind but you just beat this issue like a dead horse.

news.gif Fanboy Alert!! Fanboy Alert!! news.gif

Everyone please calmly put their comics back in the Mylar. Do not panic!!

If you guys turn this into another crash thread, I am going to sacrifice 50 chickens this weekend to Ghede, the voodoo God of Death, and ask him to rain unholy fire and brimstone upon you to punish you for your sins.

893naughty-thumb.gif