• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First comic book project from start to submission to publisher.

12 posts in this topic

After some time of sitting around reading and enjoying comics. i have decided to write my first comic book. Now we all have had this idea at one time or another. Most just never do anyhting with it. Instead of being another one of those guys. I have had several ideas over the years I write them down and move one.

I decided to write about something that is near and dear to me. Some of this story is a reflection of my life at one point in time when I came back home from oklahoma. I wont say whats tru and whats made up. I can say it made me a stronger person in life and walked away from my past and moved forward.

Now I cant release everything about the book. I like to save some for the future. You will get sneak peaks at pages, character designs, color palletes, and snips of story line.

Here is how the idea started turn back the clock to phoenix comic con. I had to do something for some boardies and have fun. But for the first time decided to go to some panels or atleast one panel.

How to break into comics

Yes seems simple enough right well it was. Went sat amongst my people well atleast some fanboys. I already just about knew everything that was said in this panel from my own research. Broke down to luck in a lot of cases and pure passion just like anything else. Luck has been on myside in the past more then anyone would ever know. Passion that i have.

So left that panel feeling ahh well whats next. I already knew a few artist but no one with in my budget. Plus all thought im some smelly fan boy not serious at all. So I went with my gut on this by luck ran into the guy that did the panel He's a talented artist had a current book with image. Why not what do i got to lose.

Stopped at his booth and talked for about a minute and yes it was a minute. He maed a homemade businesscard. Left the con a few days went by didnt know if it was the 3 day rule before i email call whatever.

Contact

Sent him the email went something like this he blah blah blah I want to do some chartcer mockups spoke with you for a few seconds at the con. Days went by then email oh ok cool yeah at the price we discussed is that cool? How you want them done for style jim lee? ebas? Well at this point in time had to come clean right away and put it out all on the line said want it in your style need the characters to look like this gave him the descriptions.

A week went by and they were done end of email. Then few days went by emailed back and said look im very serious about this here is my -script read it tell me if want to do this with me. He read it liked it needed some work. Thats ok he didnt hate it and didnt tel me to f off. So reworked it drank a lot of vodka helps with the process somewhat atleast thats what i tell meself. Sent back said ok in a nutshell.

Money

Now Im not a artist not a inker I can only write. So i needed a walmart type of thing that didnt cost me a ton of money. So we worked out a great deal x amount per page inked colored lettered.

I sale books to pay for the pages and look forward to submitting to image in the near future. Now its a big gamble for me considering I dont know if image will say yes or no. But if i never take the chance I will never know. I will post more in the future thanks Jeremy

See more journals by tjanse

So what is it about? Well this was the first thing sent off to the artist.This has changed some but not much.

Set in current time

character Main: Wilbur

Sidekick: Mutant monkey (comet) was created during a drug lab explosion.

Wilbur is a 9-5 kind of guy straight laced, with a troubled past. His father is head of the biker gang. He never liked is father or lack of father since his parents divorced when he was younger. When he Graduated Harvard in the fall of 2009 with his Master's Degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry With high hopes for a new life from his shattered past. Little to his knowledge did he know his girlfriend Zoë was being taken as ransom.

His father had taken Zoë as a plan to force Wilbur to produce high volumes of a new designer drug on a industrial level in return Wilbur will get Zoë back.

With The fast talking monkey friend( comet) who came from a drug batch explosion that nearly killed Wilbur. Is now helping Wilbur regain Zoë back.

The drug made will be called(z4x) like but its catalyst from the monkey's urine hence why the monkeys where at the location.

jeremycomicpg1.jpg

By tjanse at 2012-08-07

jeremycomicpg1coloredle.jpg

By tjanse at 2012-08-07

Will be working on cover ideas in the future might go to a vote for cover ideas not sure yet came up with some cool cover ideas. Thanks guys for all the kind words some of u have had a lot more of a look then others and helped with this project along the way and you wont be forgotten.

But here is a sneak peak at a few of the characters was going to show page 2 but decided to show some character mock ups. I do have a woman in this series but will not show her she will show up in later issue goes with the story that way.

comet2.jpg

By tjanse at 2012-06-10

wilburf.jpg

By tjanse at 2012-06-07

I have thought it over and what a better way then to have a boardie do a cgc exclusive cover for the book. I have seen more then a few boardies that have some amazing talent.

So i think i will try that route maybe a very limited run maybe more not to sure. Im working on a very tight time frame for schedule that I have set for myself.

Now the artist will get a look at the -script to get a feel for the book. Artist will be asked to sign a non disclosure. I will bounce ideas back and forth for cover ideas that i have in mind that way artist gets the path i want to take with the book.

I have the full intent of submitting this finished book in the next few months hope by Dec. Im shooting for a 5 books but if more I will take it.

Inks on 11x17 colors done digital

You will get full credit for your work and be printed as such

Just so one is aware this might not get used until a later issue if we get picked up but it will be used at some point in time. Goodluck and pm me for more info.

Thought shoot out page 2 thanks guys for all the great words and comments. Progress has been slow on the next few pages but should be done with in 24 hrs if not sooner. Still moving full steam ahead.

Looking forward to starting a kick starter very soon. But Im still also looking for maybe someone to contribute to some art for the kickstarter campaign poster. Pm me for more info.

Looks like they said it was to naughty for me to show I will repost a edited down version later today.

jeremycomicpg22.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CGC Exclusive sketch book

After some thought time and effort I have decided to do a release of a limited number of book to cgc board memebers. It will be a mix of art, scrpit, maybe pages you have seen maybe not. With the exclusive cgc cover. I will pay for all these upfront out of my pocket. The sales thread for this will be about a month or so away. I have to finalize the proof and do all that. So all cgc board members that buy a copy will be on the inside cover of the book and thanked for contribution and how many they bought something like that. This will be a cgc memeber only thing.

So im very clear on this and no confusion this will be more of a sketch book then anything. But i will have a page or two of current stuff from issue 1.

Funds

All the money will go towards the artist. While my artist is very talented at what he does he does not come cheap. This will help me offset the cost im currently paying out of my own pocket.

Why not use kickstarter?

I do plan on using kick starter in the very near future. With diffrent rewards and such. Which most of them should all be ready and printed up already to go. I will try to avoid making people waite a long time for rewards like I have seen in the past. Yes I know it's a gamble to print everything ahead of time but hey why not shoot for the sky.

I look at it this way if x amount of people are willing to take a risk on me and say they will donate $1, $15, ect then why not i do the same.

Printrun

100 and that will be with the exclusive cgc cover in color a total of 16 pages/ 4 sheets. If I sale out right away which I hope I do. Then back to the printers with a diff cover or diff color on the original cover not to sure yet. i really dont want to think that far ahead yet. Because I have to take baby steps first.