• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Relaunch after Avengers vs X men stop me before I go over the cliff

71 posts in this topic

I didn't even need to make a nostalgic comparison in order to drop new Marvel product completely.

I stopped because the number of titles Marvel was publishing for each of my favourite characters / teams simply got to be too overwhelming and unrealistic at a $3-99 price point.  In addition, Marvel recently imposed some quite ludicrous price increases on their trade paperbacks and archival hardcovers, a change which finally destroyed my interest in even looking at the company's Previews magazine.   That's a pity, because I used to really enjoy reading through it each month.  None of their product lines and marketing / pricing strategies work for me anymore, simple as that, and I choose not to go along with any of it.

This is pretty much correct for me too. Yes, there is a nostalgia factor but the other things you mention are also a big part of why I have no use for modern marvel comics. I'd rather take any money I'd spend on moderns and instead buy 25+ year old back issues. :cloud9:

I didn't even need to make a nostalgic comparison in order to drop new Marvel product completely.

I stopped because the number of titles Marvel was publishing for each of my favourite characters / teams simply got to be too overwhelming and unrealistic at a $3-99 price point.  In addition, Marvel recently imposed some quite ludicrous price increases on their trade paperbacks and archival hardcovers, a change which finally destroyed my interest in even looking at the company's Previews magazine.   That's a pity, because I used to really enjoy reading through it each month.  None of their product lines and marketing / pricing strategies work for me anymore, simple as that, and I choose not to go along with any of it.

This is pretty much correct for me too. Yes, there is a nostalgia factor but the other things you mention are also a big part of why I have no use for modern marvel comics. I'd rather take any money I'd spend on moderns and instead buy 25+ year old back issues. :cloud9:

It`s the price that sucks for a modern Marvel and DC comic.

Let`s see for about $12 I can get about 3 comics to read OR

Go see a blockbuster movie.

Buy a videogame that I can play for hours.

Buy a book that I can read for hours.

Buy beer.

Buy coffee.

Buy gas to drive around.

Buy pizza.

The more you look at it the more your getting ripped off with the $3.99 cover price.

I mean you can buy trade paperbacks on Amazon for less than that.

$3.99 is a ripoff for a monthly comic book when compared to other things you can buy.

2c

Buy beer.

Buy coffee.

Buy gas to drive around.

Buy pizza.

The more you look at it the more your getting ripped off with the $3.99 cover price.

$3.99 is a ripoff for a monthly comic book when compared to other things you can buy.

2c

I agree that $3.99 for a comic is too expensive but try factor in all the costs and it makes sense. Pay the writer, artist, inker, editor, etc. Pay the printer. Pay for the paper. Pay Diamond for storage and distribution all around the world. Once that's all paid for they sell it to the LCS for half the price.

Moderns could be $2 each if the publishers sold directly from their websites and cut out the distributor and LCS, they would probably sell more too but it would put all the LCS out of business.

Buy beer.

Buy coffee.

Buy gas to drive around.

Buy pizza.

2c

I agree that $3.99 for a comic is too expensive but try factor in all the costs and it makes sense. Pay the writer, artist, inker, editor, etc. Pay the printer. Pay for the paper. Pay Diamond for storage and distribution all around the world. Once that's all paid for they sell it to the LCS for half the price.

Moderns could be $2 each if the publishers sold directly from their websites and cut out the distributor and LCS, they would probably sell more too but it would put all the LCS out of business.

Even with all that cut out they still charge $3.99 for the latest digital Batman comic.

:screwy:

Buy beer.

Buy coffee.

Buy gas to drive around.

Buy pizza.

2c

Even with all that cut out they still charge $3.99 for the latest digital Batman comic.

:screwy:

That's so the LCS don't loose business. If it was $2 to read online and $4 from the store then only the collectors would buy them and the readers would just read them online, putting LCS out of business.

If we could get our books directly from marvel.com and dc.com for $2 each and cut out Diamond and the LCS then i would have to go for it.

I prefer reading a complete story in trade paperback form, which used to be considerably cheaper than buying the individual issues.  If Marvel's master plan behind making TPs a more expensive format is to get me to switch back over to 'save money' then, when applied to me, it's proved to be somewhat flawed logic. I've simply dropped both formats, as advance orders and new in at the LCS.  

I'm doing exactly the same as you.  Still, I'm glad I could judge the current situation purely on its own merits, without needing to reminisce about the years when I could buy imported Marvel comics for 6p. :)

They renumber to #1 so that new buyers can see that they only need to buy a couple of issues to get caught up. That's also why there's a summary at the front of each book now.

It lowers the "barrier to entry."