• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Next Level For Superhero Films?

41 posts in this topic

Does anyone else think Superhero films won't reach their pinnacle until they do all CG? Is that the next level?

Many of the elements of superheroic fantasy just fall flat with live actors, mainly the physicality and costumes. Or, to say it in reverse, films where the superhero is all CG (Iron Man suited up, Hulk in Avengers, Spider-man) are much more satisfying than live-actor portrayals (Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, Batman, Captain America, etc).

Here's a short "History of Photorealistic Characters in Film" documentary that's HD (watch full screen). The technology is constantly improving. The potential for some truly epic superhero fare is huge.

For me the first thing that suffers with live-actors is character design. Character design is the soul of comic books, the fantasy starts there, with story being the heart. CG could retain those elements and unleash imagination.

Like it or not, an all CG movie will always be thought of by the general public as a "cartoon" because of this categories dominance by Pixar, Dream Works, and other animation studios. For the average movie goer, that puts the movie squarely in the "kid" category. I think a CG movie with modern superhero (i.e. adult) themes would not do well because of this stigma. Additionally, I can see a huge backlash from some groups in the US if a "kid" movie (CG movie that many will believe is a "cartoon") wasn't target at a kid audience.

With that said, I definitely think there is room for lighter, CG superhero movies similar to the Incredibles. DC and Marvel have many undiscovered characters in their stables that would fit into this category and do well with kids. I don't believe it would be possible for DC or Marvel to release CG movies of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc. and expect them to do well at the movies however. Especially since these characters are already been mined and used on TV in CG material aimed at kids.

I think that view is slowly changing - filmmakers are progressively moving us towards predominant CG movies, but they still understand we need lots of live action going on, too - to keep it real looking and not cartooney.

I think in 20 years, we will be very comfortable with all-CG films - but it will be slow going. I still marvel at how realistic my brain registers the characters in 'Avatar' .