• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman Gold Variant: What CGC does with it

10 posts in this topic

Just got back my Miracleman #1 Gold Variant.

Got an 8.5 frown.gif I really thought it was nicer than that. Perfect spine and crisp pages. Had no idea they went off white or that there was a wrinkle on the cover all the years I've had it... Never opened it actually. Oh well, still not a clunker, but far from the gem I thought it was...

miracleman.jpg

Still, despite the grade, it was of interest to me whether CGC would list that it was the Gold Variant on the label, since the variants only notable characteristics are the Alan Moore signature on the front page and the Yellow Certificate of Authenticity signed by Sakai (Stan?), Cat Yronwode and Dean Wallaney at the 1985 San Diego Comic Con. I had the COA, which was included with the comic when I submitted it to CGC at Wizard World LA in March.

As someone stated on an earlier board, CGC sent back the Certificate of Authenticity in its own plastic pouch:

miraclemancoa.jpg

Still, the label didn't specify that this was the Miracleman #1 Gold Variant Edition. The reason why this is important is because that variant is literally one of the most valuable variant editions in comic book history, being listed in the 2004 Overstreet Guide at $1500.

Now, I didn't know the price of this at the time of the CGC submission. I had the book in my collection since the 80's and always thought it was one of the ones in the nicest shape. I knew there were only 400 of them, so I decided to get it slabbed. It wasn't until the 2004 guide came out that I knew it was so valuable.

My question is, will CGC ever encapsulate and label a Miracleman #1 Gold Variant as a Miracleman #1 Gold Variant? Did they not do it because I put the fair market value at $40 (I swear! I had no idea until the guide came out!)

Is there a way to resubmit the book to get the label to say that if I list what the Fair market value is, now that I'm more aware of it, or is there just no way to authenticate the COA or the signature?

Edited by wdb23

Agreed...... that's absolutely ridiculous. I bought a copy for $250 on ebay last year (it was on a long weekend so I guess not many people were watching the auction). I flipped it for $500, and the person that bought it from me also tried to flip it (I think unsuccessfully) with a reserve around $750. $1500 is too enthusiastic IMO.

Still, you have a damn nice book there smile.gif Just overpriced in the guide though.

Anyway... to answer your question... I can't see cgc ever grading that as the gold edition, unfortunately, because they can't verify the signature (they've said all along that they won't verify signatures unless as part of the signature series, which would obviously be impossible in this case without a time machine), and as you said, there are really no other characteristics to distinguish it from a regular #1 - so it's effectively impossible for them to verify that it is a gold variant and still adhere to their own policies. boo.gif

Sheesh... if that was the case then why aren't my Defenders and Doctor Strange 35¢ variants all listed at over $100!? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's exactly what I'm getting at. This book they bump up to 1500 while guide for price variants is still languishing in lala land.

I know I am replying SUPER LATE to this thread, but I recently saw a Miracleman #1 Gold San Diego Edition sell on eBay. It was a CBCS graded book, but they still recognized it as a Gold edition (Their verified signature books are given the pink label). Like CGC for you book, they did not encapsulate the certificate.

29 minutes ago, JGELL said:

I know I am replying SUPER LATE to this thread, but I recently saw a Miracleman #1 Gold San Diego Edition sell on eBay. It was a CBCS graded book, but they still recognized it as a Gold edition (Their verified signature books are given the pink label). Like CGC for you book, they did not encapsulate the certificate.

Reply to a 16 year old dead thread AND bring up the competition on CGCs own message board.... 

Thats-A-Bold-Strategy-Meme.gif.fe7098ff0107aef755b7bd2bace2e982.gif