• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored X-Men #1

9 posts in this topic

To resubmit or not resubmit...

This is my first time posting on here. I've have a CGC account for about a year and a half and enjoy reading the journals from time to time but have never submitted one of my own. Anyway, on to the point of this...

I recently renewed my account and used my 4 free submission coupon on 2 copies of X-Men #1, Daredevil #1 and a Walking Dead #1. Very pleased that the Walking Dead pulled a 9.8, the Daredevil and one of the X-Men issues got 2.5 universals, which I knew going in they were very low grade and would be happy with about anything over 1.0. The other X-Men number however got a 2.5 restored with the restoration being listed as one piece of tape on the interior cover.

So my question to anyone reading is this: I know from experience how drastically devalued purple label books are. Do you think it would be worth trying to remove this one piece of tape and resubmit for a blue label. Would that even work? Will the residue of the tape that is left behind still count as restoration? I've never attempted anything like this, has anyone else?

Advice, recommendations, etc much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Jason

See more journals by GamingEtc

Can you post the X-Men #1 label? Seems strange that it would get a purple label just for a piece of tape, as my understanding is that (rightly or wrongly) CGC doesn't consider tape to be restoration. Anything else going on with the book?

Can you post the X-Men #1 label? Seems strange that it would get a purple label just for a piece of tape, as my understanding is that (rightly or wrongly) CGC doesn't consider tape to be restoration. Anything else going on with the book?

The book just received its grade today, so I don't have the physical copy back yet, but the exact words under the restoration text are "Restoration includes: cover reinforced (1 piece of tape on interior cover)" Since the tape part is in parenthesis, it would denote the description of the cover reinforcement, and not be secondary, grammatically anyway. So I take this to mean that the restoration is purely this one piece of tape.

If it's period tape from the time era it's considered nonrestored and blue, if it's newer tape it's considered restored and purple? correct me if I'm wrong?...classicsincorporated.com offers a screening of the book to see if removal of the tape is possible. You can even send in the CGC slab as is. Check it out!

You could always get the Grader Notes as well to see if there was anything else going on besides the tape. Agree sending to Matt at CI would be the way to go.

Oh yeah, and glad you decided to post a journal. Hope you continue to post more! Would be cool if you added your books to the registry as well so others could check out your collection.

sig.jpg

If it's period tape from the time era it's considered non-restored and blue, if it's newer tape it's considered restored and purple? correct me if I'm wrong?...

That's my understanding as well.

I guess I will just be another person to recommend Matt Nelson. I would spend the extra money on getting the notes for that book. I find it odd that a book graded so low would get a purple restored label unless the book would have been graded a few points higher without the tape. How long is the tape, and as you mentioned, it says restoration includes...pluralizing that word seems to insinuate that there is more than just the tape.

I have two Restored graded books myself. one I bought because it was so cheap i couldn't pass it up. the other was a copy of Sub-Mariner #38 that looked so beautiful. Of course I didn't know what to look for. The Sub-Mariner was trimmed, so it received a 9.4 restored.

My Daredevil #28 also received a restored 9.4, not only because of and edge being trimmed but also because of some "very small amount of color touch on cover". This is stated after the word 'includes".

Good luck

I think there is a good chance it is an error of a restored label but the first thing to do is to call CGC tomorrow to verify.

There are a ton of blue label books with tapes. If CGC changed their stance on tapes as restored, it would be an uproar among many big wallets collectors since many newly slabbed GA key books and big $$ books have tapes on them. While there is no way for any of us to determine if the tape was there last month or 20 years ago...i am more than willing to bet some of those books were taped up recently.

last I heard, CGC changed its stances and no longer give books the bump in grades with tapes (that sealed tears and splits or reattached cover, centerfold, etc..) to lessen the gaming that have been going on with tapes but I can find many examples of books that have been slabbed recently (as recent as late June of this year) where tapes are noted on the blue labels.