• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got back my first submission. Man am I disappointed! :(

25 posts in this topic

It is just four modern books and the grades were:

9.8 Marvels #1 acetate cover

9.6 Marvels #2 acetate cover

9.6 Daredevil Yellow #1

9.4 Daredevil Wizard 1/2

i.e. the Daredevil 1/2 I can´t understand. I thought it was the best book of the four, very disappointing frown.gif

So I guess:

a) maybe it takes more skill than I thought to grade

b) I got some perception problems

c) the books got damaged in the shipping process because of either c.1) bad packaging or c.2) bad handling

Blarf.

My first time was only with a single silver age book......so this may not help you.....but I had a good experience.

It was an 80 page giant squarebound issue from the 1960's. I bought it as a raw NM off of eBay but realized when I got it that, of course, it had been overgraded. It was still a nice copy, so I decided to keep it and submit it. It had a small color fleck on the right edge of the front cover, a small spine tear on the bottom (about 3/16") plust the very bottom portion of the spine was smashed a little bit flatter than the rest of the spine (these problems at the bottom of the spine were common with this issue), plus it had a little surface dirt/soiling on the back cover, which is white.

Other than that, the book was really nice and looked like it may have never been opened. I received it back from CGC with a 9.0 VF/NM grade and was happy with that. I figured it might come back as an 8.5 or even a little lower, so 9.0 looked good to me. Of course, they don't grade Silver age books as harshly as moderns, so it's easier for an average grader to grade on them. They are just way too critical on moderns for me to even guess what a book might come back graded as.

My first time with a comic was with one of the early Catwoman issues between 1 and 10, can't remember which. Man, does she look kickin' in that tight black outfit!!!

Might I recommend Cherry Poptart to those of you who haven't had your first time with a comic yet. blush.gif

Oh, wait, you meant first time getting a comic slabbed.

I've only submitted two books and oddly enough they were both copies of Spidey #9. Submitted one because I thought it had color touch, which it did; I thought it'd get Apparent 9.0 but it got Apparent 9.2 with amateur restoration. Bought that book from Clobberintime, and he gave me a refund with absolutely no hassle.

I've only submitted books twice and each submission I've been either on the money or below. I am very conservative when I decide to send something in..b/c it takes like a year to get them back tongue.gif

Brian