• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never been to a Con....where to start?

31 posts in this topic

Expect crop dusters, crappy costumes, back packs wacking you all over, and deodorant shunning, inconsiderate, $1 bargain box hunters. The freebies are cool though.

I solved the backpack problem with a Rothco messenger bag. On top of that it is easy to swing to the front when needing access to my things or protecting the contents from the prying hands of large crowds.

Heh - as far as the other stuff, last year a friend went with me to comic con. He remarked that he wanted to stand outside and hand out free samples of deodorant to every attendee.

rothco_messenger_bag_olive_drab.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Classic-Messenger-Bag-Olive/dp/B0002CKD1M

$20.69 and free shipping from Amazon

http://baglust.net/reviews/review-jack-bauer-messenger-bag/

Never been to a true comic-con before....I know....strange isnt it?

Trying to figure out where to break my cherry at.

Should i try maybe WW Austin later this year, or save and go all out at SDCC next year?

Opinions needed from the hive mind.

Rule number one: Dress up as female supehero

Rule number two: Act flamboyant

Rule number three: Carry a pink purse....

Now, as far as your first con..I have no clue what you should do ???

:roflmao:

I suggest you go to WW Austin first.

Mainly to give you an idea on how a Comic-Con looks & feels like.

If you like WW Austin,then decide if you want to save up and go to SDCC.

+1 (on Austin, not the dressing up)

WW Austin is a good and growing show, and it will give you a nice taste of what a con is all about. It isn't too huge as to be overwhelming, nor too small as to be only like 2 hours of entertainment and you're done. I'm looking forward to this show already. :grin:

WW Austin is a decent start. Someone mentioned Baltimore. That's a good show to test traveling. Going to a local show can be quite different than a show you get on a plane to attend.

That was basically my progression. The Texas wizard show for a couple of years (it was in Arlington then), then baltimore, then San Diego.

Unfortunately i am near atlanta and from what i can tell there are NO good shows that come here.

Please inform me if i am wrong about this, but i havent seen any sign of a good one yet.

If you can wait until next year, go to Heroes (in Charlotte). Not too far from Atlanta and a great comic book show. Very similar to Baltimore in that it is a true comic book show.

Tickets are relatively cheap and Charlotte is a nice city and very easy to navigate.

WW Austin is not a show I would travel from out of state for. The only Wizard show that might be worth that expense is Chicago. Unless you are driving and have a cheap hotel, I agree with others that you are better off to wait for Heroes.

Try to get a mid-major con or two under your belt before you tackle San Diego. It will probably make for a better experience and the learning cost is a lot lower.