• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Maybe not zombies specifically, but horror movies have been consistently popular since at least the 50s.

Popularity is relative. You could say that Disney films have been popular since the 1930s as well, but the fact is that there are periods when they have been more popular and less popular. Same with horror films. I have read scholarly research about this very topic - one paper was done for horror films and another one was done for Disney films. They are papers that discuss the popularity of Picasso and the Beatles in different conditions as well. Fascinating stuff. I think there was even a study done on the zombie craze recently.

I had a one on one directed study with a professor at the University I went to and this was precisely what we talked about. My paper ended up talking about how the Walking Dead's popularity was a response to post industrial capitalism/ how popular trends in media have mirrored the culture of the society during that time. It's really interesting, and when you think about the decades individually, the popular comics of the time really mirrored (for the most part) the culture during the time they were initially distributed.

So while yes, hopefully the walking dead is done in 10 years, it doesn't mean it won't still have an expanded niche market in the same way the horror comics of the 50s, or horror film posters do from the 30s and 40s.

I think people need to realize that every popular trend goes through the initial hot phase and inevitably cools down. Sure it may become trendy later on, but it will cool down for at least a few decades.

Maybe not zombies specifically, but horror movies have been consistently popular since at least the 50s.

Popularity is relative. You could say that Disney films have been popular since the 1930s as well, but the fact is that there are periods when they have been more popular and less popular. Same with horror films. I have read scholarly research about this very topic - one paper was done for horror films and another one was done for Disney films. They are papers that discuss the popularity of Picasso and the Beatles in different conditions as well. Fascinating stuff. I think there was even a study done on the zombie craze recently.

I had a one on one directed study with a professor at the University I went to and this was precisely what we talked about. My paper ended up talking about how the Walking Dead's popularity was a response to post industrial capitalism/ how popular trends in media have mirrored the culture of the society during that time. It's really interesting, and when you think about the decades individually, the popular comics of the time really mirrored (for the most part) the culture during the time they were initially distributed.

So while yes, hopefully the walking dead is done in 10 years, it doesn't mean it won't still have an expanded niche market in the same way the horror comics of the 50s, or horror film posters do from the 30s and 40s.

I think people need to realize that every popular trend goes through the initial hot phase and inevitably cools down. Sure it may become trendy later on, but it will cool down for at least a few decades.

That is interesting, isnt it? I saw a documentary called Nightmares in Red, White and Blue. Its about how horror movies reflect american culture and society specific to certain eras. Definitely worth checking out.

I think WD will be popular for a long time, and there will probably always be hardcore WD fans, but I just dont seeing the book maintaining its value, regardless of how long its popularity sustains. Disney and the horror movie genre are not just one entity, but rather an abyss of material. The WD is nothing compared to either one, and is just a single entity that has caught the eyes of American viewers of all types. As time goes on, i predict the amount of those viewers will diminish. People will get bored of watching the same thing over and over again.

That is interesting, isnt it? I saw a documentary called Nightmares in Red, White and Blue. Its about how horror movies reflect american culture and society specific to certain eras. Definitely worth checking out.

I think WD will be popular for a long time, and there will probably always be hardcore WD fans, but I just dont seeing the book maintaining its value, regardless of how long its popularity sustains. Disney and the horror movie genre are not just one entity, but rather an abyss of material. The WD is nothing compared to either one, and is just a single entity that has caught the eyes of American viewers of all types. As time goes on, i predict the amount of those viewers will diminish. People will get bored of watching the same thing over and over again.

???

That sounds very interesting - any chance you would be willing to share it with us? Sounds like a great read. hm

Thanks for the rec - will definitely check it out. (thumbs u

The 9.8 on CLINK closed at $1840 not quite at the price people have been quoting. hm

Looks like Greg Reece is willing to pay 2 Gs for one in the WTB thread. If I had one to sell I'd gladly hand it over to him.

Edited by diestler

That sounds very interesting - any chance you would be willing to share it with us? Sounds like a great read. hm

Absolutely. However, the paper could definitely use a revision. I'll use this as an excuse to do just that. Give me a few days (thumbs u

hoping today is the day!

:banana:

Sounds like it was yesterday...on Clink. lol

The 9.8 on CLINK closed at $1840 not quite at the price people have been quoting. hm

That's as big a price dive as Revival #1's in 9.9. :ohnoez:

Absolutely. However, the paper could definitely use a revision. I'll use this as an excuse to do just that. Give me a few days (thumbs u

Awesome! Please shoot me a PM or post a link here when you're ready. :applause:

In defense of the overall value, I'd like to say that Clink has never consistently brought strong final numbers on WD1s. It's a feature that gears toward GA & SA. There were only a small handful of moderns scattered throughout the auction. I actually submitted a higher bid and fell asleep. I guess it wasn't that important to anyone to stay up and wait. There are plenty around elsewhere.

Factor in the long midseason break and I guess you could say one book slipped through the cracks. I plan to keep it till the next season has it's break. Then I will sell all copies

$9K-$10K

:o

Way too fragile an item for 10k

Soo fragile in fact...that it's borderline fictional.

lol one dude got a 9.9 last year for ~$3K

I paid $2200 for mine :acclaim:

Although, this was just before the show exploded prices :ohnoez:

Then again, people thought I was crazy to pay what I did for my #1 9.9. 9.8's were in the $5-600 range during that window.

In defense of the overall value, I'd like to say that Clink has never consistently brought strong final numbers on WD1s. It's a feature that gears toward GA & SA. There were only a small handful of moderns scattered throughout the auction. I actually submitted a higher bid and fell asleep. I guess it wasn't that important to anyone to stay up and wait. There are plenty around elsewhere.

Factor in the long midseason break and I guess you could say one book slipped through the cracks. I plan to keep it till the next season has it's break. Then I will sell all copies

You did very well, very well bought.

never heard of Clink

It's how the cool kids shorten ComicLink...in their street lingo.

Boards or eBay are the only two places to sell Moderns on-line to max out your money.

Another book that sold on c-link for a couple hundred less than what it should normally go for is Venom #1 Error Black Cover.

C-Link is a good place for a buyer to steal a couple mega-moderns books for 20-25% less of retail on books printed after 1990.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt