• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 100 signed by Robert Kirkman

103 posts in this topic

Well thanks Sean,

You just pointed out how much of an individual_without_enough_empathy you really are.

My intent on asking that question was just that, to ask a damn question.

Of course it was, my bright little star.

I guess we'll never get to hear that important question that can't be asked without identifying someone who actually owns the book. Another chance for a leap in human knowledge and Socratic discourse fallen by the wayside.

Let me ask.

How many of you here actually have this book?

Not me. But if the thought is "Don't talk about it if you don't have one," that type of third grade argument is inapposite.

The conversation at the adult's table deals with the potential erosion of the Yellow label's extremely strong underpinnings. There may be a possibility that an unscrupulous person could get an unauthorized book through to an unwarranted yellow label. Not probable, maybe not likely, but possible. That is worthy of discussion, at least for those of us who collect signature only books, and certainly for those of us that have made sizable investments of money and time to help grow SS to where it is today.

I am not saying that any erosion has occurred. What I am saying is that discourse, kept civil and constructive, is never a bad thing for commerce. Especially a product that has such an emotional, nostalgic and personal component to many. Even if there is nothing but pure old fashioned poopstirring going on, which I do not believe, the answer is never, ever "STFU!" in a business scenario.

So stop acting like you are the steward of the program or that you speak for CGC and STFU.

:applause:

So stop acting like you are the steward of the program or that you speak for CGC

(tsk)

comic_best_forum2012.gif

:o

I heard from Wally that his award came complete with a real live soap box.

Not once did I say that problems would not arise from this unsigned copy that has made it's way to CGC. But guess what, CGC made the final decission that the signed copies would recieve the yellow label. If you can't accept that, then you Sean and everyone else who disagress with CGC's stance can STFU, as you so eloquently put it.

And yes, my spelling and grammar isn't perfect, I of all people know that.

Not once did I say that problems would not arise from this unsigned copy that has made it's way to CGC. But guess what, CGC made the final decission that the signed copies would recieve the yellow label. If you can't accept that, then you Sean and everyone else who disagress with CGC's stance can STFU, as you so eloquently put it.

I don't have a problem with CGC making any decision they deem proper. They are in possession of far more details and facts that led to their decision than I do. I won't say that their decisions are perfect, but I will concede that they are perfectly capable of making whatever decision they desire.

Simultaneously, I do have a slight problem with people deciding when and what other people can discuss.

As well I, personally, have very limited vertical leaping abilities, so I refrain from doing color commentary during high jump competitions.

Or we can keep discussing the potential ramification of how this plays out in a calm, reasonable and rational way, most of us expressing our care and concern for the program, without being told that the nakedass Emperor is wearing clothes and without being scolded not to pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.

I'll bite

So what differs this signing, from the Stan Lee signing involving Ultimate Sipiderman 1 that was randomly inserted in the bagged editions?

All of the Stan Lees were included in sealed packages and were signed and numbered and limited to 100. These have not been numbered in any way. So any blank cover (and it is possible that there are more blanks than just the 10 that were slabbed) could get signed by Kirkman and not properly witnessed, or forged and get a yellow label that it shouldn't.

I was not a fan of the Lees, but this is shading even further away from my level of comfortability. I am not saying it is wrong or bad, just that i don't like change to a program that works like clockwork, that I understand, and that has a reputation like none other in the industry.

Let say you were a major shareholder of Starbucks, you have a lot of money tied up in Starbucks, and their well being affects your net worth and income. Additionally, you happen to love one specific type of coffee they have, lets call that coffee "Starbucks Signature", and this is its most popular coffee, making up 30% of revenues.

That coffee is grown is a very special part of Columbia, on top of a special mountain, away from all the other types of coffee, and is actually picked, processed, and packed on top of that mountain. It is valuable and popular, so Starbucks actually has restricted access to that mountain, so that no unauthorized personnel can get in there and mess with the ecosystem or smuggle coffee plants out.

If I'm a shareholder or potential investor I'm going to ask a question when seemingly significant changes or exceptions occur within the control and security process for this Signature coffee. I would be worried about contamination of the coffee mountain, or someone else reproducing the same coffee and affecting the supply (and therefore the price). These are legitimate financial concerns as well as personal ones, and it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to ask (even in a more intense or urgent tone).

Whether or not I get an answer is up to Starbucks, but at some point if they don't answer or don't answer satisfactorily I'm going to be tempted to invest elsewhere, even if it means taking huge losses. At some point the uncertainty may cause the stock price to drop, and potentially even the end of Starbucks.

Sometimes people use extreme examples to pose questions, but that usually points out that there are some slippery slopes that are foreseeable. I think most here are trying to avoid those slippery slopes by identifying issues that might lead to them.

For the record, I now own a copy (signed) that I'll be sending to CGC for grading soon and some of the discussion has been particularly penitent especially the discovery of that unsigned copy on eBay (legitimate or not). I think in general, anyone who has made any sort of investment in CGC graded comics has a stake in this - and understanding all the details involved are important.

Let say you were a major shareholder of Starbucks, you have a lot of money tied up in Starbucks, and their well being affects your net worth and income. Additionally, you happen to love one specific type of coffee they have, lets call that coffee "Starbucks Signature", and this is its most popular coffee, making up 30% of revenues.

Very valid point...which I will now completely abuse.

Been waiting for an opportunity to post this (almost) completely unrelated picture....

Starbuck-And-Starbucks.jpg

I have one, and it should be arriving just as it arrived to me in a sealed bag with board and a huge sticker covering the back flap to CGC, probably today. I still don't see where there would be a concern if CGC simply stated that in order to qualify for Signature Series the book had to still be in its original sealed container. Just me though so feel free to continue.

Great Starbuck pic by the way :)

I have one, and it should be arriving just as it arrived to me in a sealed bag with board and a huge sticker covering the back flap to CGC, probably today. I still don't see where there would be a concern if CGC simply stated that in order to qualify for Signature Series the book had to still be in its original sealed container. Just me though so feel free to continue.

Agreed, except that most of them appear to have been taken out of the bag which would be a bummer unless this was originally stated as a stipulation :tonofbricks:

Great suggestion for 'next time', but too late if others who already received it and opened it under the impression that it was CGC SS approved either way.

Very valid point...which I will now completely abuse.

Been waiting for an opportunity to post this (almost) completely unrelated picture....

Starbuck-And-Starbucks.jpg

That's awesome and I disagree - it's completely related to this thread.