• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes artists likeable? Why is your favortite artist your favorite artist?

24 posts in this topic

I was thinking about it. Since I am so new in the comic scene I am kind of surprised sometimes when people point out certain covers. Byrne, Romita, Kirby, whatever.

Are they good because they remind you of your childhoods and because they are artists who are or were out there for decades? If we just go by quality of art then surely others are better, or not? The best technical artist (or maybe the guy who spents most of his time on the work) seems to be Alex Ross. I personally don´t like his style very much, but that is just me. Technically I think he is outstanding, but he is probably more of a modern artist, right? Maybe I need to differ between classic artists from the 60s, 70s and early 80s era and the current artists who might be good, but just not the heroes of the comic industry.

It is all so complicated for me, maybe it was wrong to try to get into comics. Also I still don´t understand why only Marvels superheroes seem to sell, while the books that I think are much better (Dark Horse, Vertigo) just do not sell the way I would like them too.

Actually I somehow begin to like the Marvels too by now, but that is just because everybody else here does and I am confronted with them so much. Since I was hoping to also run my own comic store in some years, so I have to adjust to the majority.

Well, I just wanted to have said that.

Later,

Jens

I feel more strongly about Romita Jr. than you do--I absolutely don't like his art at all. It's gotten better over the years, but I HATED his art back when he did X-Men in the late 80s/early 90s. I feel the same way about Kubert that you do.

My favorite artist is Jens. Every genius that I've ever known is crazier than a s**t-house rat. It's just part and parcel with being a genius. For example, some geniuses that could easily make the centerfold of "Pschology Today":

Charlie Parker, 1940's/50's Jazz alto sax

Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report bassist

Bud Powell, (Parker's pianist..possibly insanity may be contagious?)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Peter Tchaikovsky

Nostradamus

Nicolai Tesla (super-genius> inventor of principles of just about every major scientific breakthrough in use today...microwave, AC power, electro magnetism, etc.)

Edgar Allen Poe

Van Gogh

Me

etc.

Jens art will improve in time but more importantly, he appears to have an unlimited potential for insanity. The type of qualitative insanity that makes folks stand up and take notice!!!

Like Todd M., Liefeld(SP?), Jim Lee, and many others, Romita JR has a problem with faces. They all look the same, with subtle variations. These artists don't seem to be able to draw distinctive features on individual characters. Everyone looks like they'd be related.(YEE HAW!!)

Among others, one of my favorite artists, past or present, is Neal Adams. I just wish e did more marvel. frown.gif

Jens art will improve in time but more importantly, he appears to have an unlimited potential for insanity. The type of qualitative insanity that makes folks stand up and take notice!!!

So... when are you gonna bust out your Crayolas and Starsky and Hutch coloring book, Ham?

I feel more strongly about Romita Jr. than you do--I absolutely don't like his art at all. It's gotten better over the years, but I HATED his art back when he did X-Men in the late 80s/early 90s.

I'll second that motion...the first letter I ever wrote to a comic book company was to Marvel (in 1984?) telling them to can Junior on Uncanny X-Men and to bring back John Byrne or Paul Smith (hey, I was young and reckless at the time)!

I have been hugely unimpressed by JRJR's current work on ASM - has anyone ever drawn a more unattractive Mary Jane? I thought his style actually worked OK on his recent work on the Hulk, but it just doesn't seem to fit ASM. ASM stories have always had a strong focus on interpersonal relations and I've found it hard to connect these days with the cast of characters when they are drawn like constipated cardboard cut-outs. JR Senior had a nice, clean style and the characters always seemed dynamic and vital. Not so with Junior, unfortunately. frown.gif

Gene

Hammer, I don´t know if you compliment me or tease me. I am probably less insane than you think and also less ingenious.

But, thanks for noticing me anyways. Attention is good for my soul.

I've got several favorites. What they all have in common is detail. Without detail, comics start looking too "cartoonish" for my tastes. X-Statix (Allred) and the current issue of Elektra ( Meglia) both have a "cartoonish" look that I don't personally don't like. Some of the artists that I do like are Steranko, McFarlane, and Ross again, because of the more detailed, realistic approach.

I am somewhat of a fan of Romita Jr's work, although he can't hold a candle to his father!

I actually quite liked his work on the X-Men in the 80's (although his 80's work on ASM was better), and have always found his 'clean' style of art visually appealing.

Stylistically he seems to have moved closer to Ditko than Romita Sr in recent years. Especially with his work on ASM, he seems to be drawing a skinnier more awkward Spider-Man ala Ditko.

On the minus side, he does seem to have problems with anatomy sometimes, kinda reminds me of Rob Liefield (although not as bad) in as much as the proportions of his figures often look wrong. Especially ANKLES, no-one has ankles that skinny!

Best artists of all time: Steve Ditko & John Romita Sr. (am I showing some ASM bias here grin.gif ).

Because you mentioned that you were thinking of opening up a comic store in the future, you might want to go to mile high's website and read his opinions on opening up a comic shop. Go to www.milehighcomics.com and click on "Tales from the Data Base." If anyone else is interested and have not already read it, I found his story on how he came across the mile high collection interesting reading.

That's what makes comics so great. I LOVE Joe Kubert and think his art is amazing. Some of my other favorites are Arthur Adams and Todd McFarlane (due to their attention to detail), Barry Windsor-Smith, Neal Adams, and Berni Wrightson. Why? I have no idea, but just know I love their styles.