• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAD Magazine Gaines' File copies

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Of course we are all familiar with the famous EC Gaines' File Copies that were all certified and graded by Overstreet, Cochran, and Gaines himself. But recently I have seen some MAD magazines sold on Ebay, and for pretty cheap, ALSO certified by CGC as Gaines' File Copies. I just won two of them for 9.99 each. As CGC certified them as the genuine article, I cannot believe that no one else bid on these. Granted they are just mid-grade 80's copies, but still, I am tickled silly just to pick up a pair of Gaines' books. I thought I'd at least have to pay $500 for one of the EC 50s copies. I know, big difference, but still these are pretty cool. Here are the links of what I just won and paid for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2253551958&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2253551994&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Does anyone know the story on the Gaines' file copies of MAD Magazine? Thanks------Sid

>>>I just won two of them for 9.99 each.

I also got a couple of these about a month ago (both 9.4) for about

$15 each. I had no idea what they would go for, and like you was pleasantly

surprised to get them so cheap. I'm pretty tickled to have a bit of Mad

Magazine history.

Perhaps they're common? Did Gaines own thousands and thousands of

"file copies?"

gozer

--------------------------

For the rest of the summer, we can live inside the refrigerator.

I'd assume it's the same or similar to the rest of his file copies- 12 copies of each. It's just in the case of these Mads they aren't uncommon to find in high grade and there isn't nearly the same attachment in the hobby as there is with the ECs, books that are still beloved throughout the hobby. High grade copies of the 50s ECs are almost exclusively from the Gaines files so the double angle of the provenance and the rarity in grade combine with the immense popularity of the books themselves to create a volatile mix. These Mads only have the provenance going for them.