• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

I didn't buy anything from this auction.

Why not, you might ask?

Because the Catalog reached me a day or two after the auction had ended. Christmas time is not always a good time to expect overseas mail in a timely fashion . . .

This particular auction featured my favourite single issue of an EC Horror book.

Vault of Horror # 33.

Let me tell you about this , courtesy of a piece I had published in Comic Book Marketplace # 112, May 2004 . . .

auction1l-11.jpg

Continued in next post . . .

Wow. Do you have auction prices for these pieces?

I penciled in the prices, but Russ used glossy paper for the Frazetta catalog and the prices aren't too clear.

I'll scan the results page from Catalog # 28 (coming up next).

Oops, monitor viewing angle was not optimal. Thanks :)

Years later, thanks to the wonders of the internet, I was able to track down the whereabouts of the cover art to Vault of Horror # 33.

More of which, later . . .

With the advent of the internet, collectors were only an e-mail away, and it was now possible to make instant contact with other enthusiasts.

One of the Comicart-l listers, Benno Rothschild owned the cover art to Vault of Horror # 33, along with the accompanying Jack Davis story that tied-in to Craig's cover image, and was open to the idea of exploratory trade discussions.

I'd offered my Craig Haunt of Fear # 6 cover as a straight trade, but Benno had additional interest in an 8-page Jack Davis Two-Fisted Tales story I owned entitled, "Mud!", and proposed a cover-plus-story trade.

"Mud!" was a favourite Davis war story for me, but Craig's Vault # 33 cover was more important to me, so a trade was agreed upon. My Haunt # 6 cover, plus Davis war story, in exchange for Benno's Vault # 33 and accompanying story.

Then came the mechanics of the trade . . .

Benno didn't know me and, as I live in the UK, was (understandably) acting with caution about air-mailing off any art to me.

Benno suggested we approach Russ Cochran to act as a receiving/forwarding agent (we send our respective art packages off to Russ, he checks the contents, and relays them on to us).

As we had both been customers of Russ, he was happy to perform this favour at cost price (just the mailing charges involved).

Good old Russ. :)

Although I've shed a lot of EC artwork over the years, I still own the Vault # 33 cover - which is proudly displayed on the wall of my study.

Thanks, again, Benno! (thumbs u