• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

auction1c-30.jpg

From this art auction I bid on and won item # 7, "Alice in Wonderland!", the 7-page lead story to Mad # 18.

Interestingly, the artwork was small in size (12" x 9"), very unusual for Davis (I was aware of the small size when I placed my bid). Not something that bothered me, as I've always been more focused on the quality of the artwork, not the size of it. Also, the originals had pasted-up stats taken from the original Alice book illustration by Sir John Teniel. The mix worked, and Davis aped Teniel's work to near-perfection!

I later traded-away this story to Mike Burkey.

auction1f-27.jpg

Mad Auction # 6 (January 19, 1988). This would see the remainder o the art for the 23-issue run of Mad (as a comic-book) being sold.

The artwork for Mad Magazine would commence to be auctioned-off a short while later.

I'll look at the Mad magazine auctions later on.

I have one or two (hopefully) interesting diversions to make before I resume continuing with Russ's (regular) Comic Art Auction Catalogs . . .

As a long time collector of Mad, it is fascinating to see what the original art sold for in the Russ Cochran auctions. Thank you Terry for presenting the actual catalogs and prices of these historic auctions of the EC line of comics.

As a long time collector of Mad, it is fascinating to see what the original art sold for in the Russ Cochran auctions. Thank you Terry for presenting the actual catalogs and prices of these historic auctions of the EC line of comics.

You're welcome - glad you're enjoying this journey through time.

Time to take another diversion . . .

This is not OA, but as an EC-addict this was of enormous interest to me.

With the advent of the Russ Cochran EC hardback volumes, coupled with my passion for collecting EC original art, I'd pretty much lost my interest in collecting the original comic-books.

The following is a mail-shot I received from Russ circa October 1990 . . .

auction1a-35.jpg