• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steranko Accepting Commissions
1 1

52 posts in this topic

"but you think ALL those junky 1k byrne commissions are the bee's knees."

Never said that, and I don't have one. I like some of them. So sue me. Heck, the only Byrne I have is a single figure Captain America that I got from ebay, because it was exactly what I wanted and there was no risk that it would be wonky.

We get it, you don't like ANY Byrne commissions EVER! Some of us happen to like some of them. It's no big deal, man. One of the reasons you might think I'm so pro Byrne is that a very nice collector was very excited about getting a Byrne commission, and you came out of nowhere and 100% pooped all over the existence of every Byrne commission, past present and future. That's not cool, man. Not cool. You're entitled to your opinion, of course! But...geez, man... why ya gotta poop on things? Did Byrne run-over your dog? :) Chill, smile, be cool, man... sit a spell...take your shoes off...

But this does reinforce my point about the Streranko drawings- there's nothing to see right now. With Byrne, you can look at years worth of commissions, get an idea of what you'll get, and decide if it's for you or not. You decided all of them are junky. Good thing you had a bunch of them to see.

I've found that I feel better writing a check when I see consistency. I tell ya, I REALLY want to be blown away by there Steranko commissions- so I'm totally excited for all those getting one now. PLEASE PELASE post them when they are done!

I have good friends that are friends with Byrne, and are also very good friends of Barry Kitson. They work Barry's table at US conventions, and help sell his art. So..imagine that! There are people out there that are friends with Byrne and Kitson!!!! Does that blow your mind or what? ;)

BTW, I prefer Allred commissions!!!! Best commission EVER!!!!! Thanks again, Simon!

Edited by Dave Aikins

I love John Byrne, the 1980's version of him. It's just funny i say something and you are posting it all over the place, you say something negative about steranko and it's cool

What's so negative about anything I've said? There is no evidence of anything bad about Steranko's commissions at all! The Nick Fury is awesome!!!! The odds are that there should be NO PROBLEM with any of these commissions. He's Steranko!

I just want to see more of them before paying $1250. That's just my hang-up with paying that much money for a drawing.

Edited by Dave Aikins

To me, it's enough of a price that I can't pull the trigger until I see a good 10 full figure finished commissions, and all of them have to ROCK. I can't spend that after only seeing one drawing.

But in theory, it is a good price. I just need to have that theory be proven.

If it ends up that I've missed the boat, so be it...

but you think all those junky 1k byrne commissions are the bee's knees. :facepalm:

And don't you think Barry Kitson is the best ever? And I think Mike Allred is the greatest...you keep on with the Kitson's, Dave can keep loving Byrne and then everyone is good. No need to knock someone elses tastes - we all see art differently.

Kitson is no where near the best ever and I wasn't knocking tastes. I was voicing my opinion that I haven't seen a good byrne commission since about 1988. If you don't agree with me fine.

What's so negative about anything I've said? There is no evidence of anything bad about Steranko's art at all! The Nick Fury is awesome!!!! The odds are that there should be NO PROBLEM with any of these commissions. He's Steranko!

I just want to see more of them before paying $1250. That's just my hang-up with paying that much money for a drawing.

my 5 year old daughter loves your work and always wants me to take down her books to look at them. She wants me to keep them stored with my art. You are ok in my book Dave even with differing opinions

I am hearing reports that Steranko doesn't want the newcommissions posted on the internet. This might kill my whole "wait & see" plan of attack...

Can anyone confirm this?

Wha? As in, please don't ever show this to anyone? lol

Edited by Speedy-D

I just spoke to Jim.

His answer was he sells you the art and he retains all image and publishing rights. He would prefer it not posted anywhere without his permission, and this is something that can be discussed at time of commission.

I just spoke to Jim.

His answer was he sells you the art and he retains all image and publishing rights. He would prefer it not posted anywhere without his permission, and this is something that can be discussed at time of commission.

O man...

That would never stop me from getting one (as I'm really lazy about scanning my collection for the internet). It would just stop me from getting a good idea of what these things look like. Hopefully, I'll know some of the collectors that are getting them, and they can just email me.

That would never stop me from getting one (as I'm really lazy about scanning my collection for the internet). It would just stop me from getting a good idea of what these things look like. Hopefully, I'll know some of the collectors that are getting them, and they can just email me.

:headbang:

Agreed! It hasn't deterred me.

My friends will see the art, one way or the other.

I just received mine today of Captain America:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=948914&GSub=137092

This is posted with his permission, of course.

I hope that helps people make their decision. I am very pleased by what I received and it was a first rate transaction. Mr Steranko was very professional, polite, friendly, displayed a good sense of humor and kept me informed all the way through. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I just received mine today of Captain America:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=948914&GSub=137092

This is posted with his permission, of course.

I hope that helps people make their decision. I am very pleased by what I received and it was a first rate transaction. Mr Steranko was very professional, polite, friendly, displayed a good sense of humor and kept me informed all the way through. I have no complaints whatsoever.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost and size for something like that?

I had spoken to David Spurlock about it a few years ago. According to him, Steranko would consider comissions for the same rates listed above. I dont think it was known by many people though.

I paid $1250 for my Bruce Timm piece. That same number for Steranko is a no brainer.

I am really glad he has allowed the new owners of his commissions to post them in the CAF. That was my one big complaint when he started taking commissions. Happy for all the new owners but I won't be one of them. Just doesn't grab me.

Going back to the original posters comments when he says ' Steranko vintage originals have recently sold for $30-100K, with recreations reselling for $30K, so the investment aspect is significant. .' Does anyone have any examples of this? You hardly see any Steranko originals selling in the first place so im wondering what these figures are refering to. Im not questioning what the OP is saying im just wondering what your average Captain America, Nick Fury or X-Men Steranko panel page would cost. (shrug)