• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Iron Man #128

16 posts in this topic

8.0, nice book (thumbs u

I'm still learning how to grade.

Can you please point out what defects there on this copy that make it a 8.0 in your opinion?

Thanks if you reply.

The bottom left corner with the chip will probably hurt the grade. Unless CGC considered this particular case a bindery defect I think you are looking about 9.2 at best. It looks like a nice, fresh copy, maybe even unread but one flaw can kill the grade.

8.0, nice book (thumbs u

Can you please point out what defects there on this copy that make it a 8.0 in your opinion?

Thanks if you reply.

like I said before, learning too, so at times I'm way off, that bottom left FC looked like it would hurt, and there's some schmutz on the BC, but after looking again (after my nap). I was probably way low.

8.0, nice book (thumbs u

Thanks if you reply.

like I said before, learning too, so at times I'm way off, that bottom left FC looked like it would hurt, and there's some schmutz on the BC, but after looking again (after my nap). I was probably way low.

Thanks, friend, for the explanation. I'm a newbie at grading, so any "tips" I can get I will glady accept. ;)

I think there is a tendency to be harsh in the overall grading of scans because scans highlight defects and have bad color....For example I scanned some of my CGC 9.2's and wondered after the scan how it ever got that.

In my book a 9.2 is allowed very minor defects that don't distract from the overall book and is considered the base line for a nice looking book. a minor cover crease a minor blunted corner....a nice white back with maybe one or two small discolorations but still overall great eye appeal at arms length.

That being said I agree with a 9.2 =D

:foryou:

What's under the m in 'em on the BC? It looks red, maybe a dry clean would get that off as well?

That is indeed red, but it looks to be from the printing. There is no break in the shine or reflection. I imagine it won't come off if that's the case, but I have a tub of absorene coming in the mail. I guess I'll soon find out.

:foryou:

What's under the m in 'em on the BC? It looks red, maybe a dry clean would get that off as well?

That is indeed red, but it looks to be from the printing. There is no break in the shine or reflection. I imagine it won't come off if that's the case, but I have a tub of absorene coming in the mail. I guess I'll soon find out.

Looks like a little bit of ink transfer. Not a big deal as far as final grade goes.

Corner is a bindery tear. Other issue i have seen on many copies of this book.

If you are going to dry clean this yourself I would work on a beater book first. You could cause way more damage with a dull spot on the back cover versus the ink transfer.

I say 9.2 possibly 9.4 assuming what the scan shows are truly printing issues.