• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy...

17 posts in this topic

We obviously have different pricing models. I allocate a fair bit of purchase price to certainty. And discount heavily for uncertainty.

it also sold for a higher price because the seller is a well-known, great grading seller. Most of his books sell for higher prices than normal :gossip:

Yeah I was told that. Still. Would rather pay less and get a guaranteed 9.4...

You would probably be surprised how often raw copies go for the same or even higher than GPA, depending on the buyers and especially sellers involved

I can't see that grading better than a 9.4 with all those spine ticks.

That's what I thought but I don't know much.

That's one of the reasons I didn't bid on it. I've ordered from J&S before, but in my experience I would call their grading a little soft. Not the worst I've seen by far, but not even close to some of the best.

I've ordered from J&S before, but in my experience I would call their grading a little soft. Not the worst I've seen by far, but not even close to some of the best.

Yes, I think "soft" is a nice P.C. way of putting it. I was trying to think of a way of commenting on this without offending those who are fans of this seller. They're grading isn't flat-out overgrading, but it's not what I would call super strict either.

There are a number of sellers, J&S is one of them, who have a good reputation/feedback profile and who post large scans that make it clear to anyone who half-way looks at the picture that they're....well, certainly not undergrading anything. And yet all these sellers have a loyal following of bidders who bid like they're going to get a CGC copy that's one grade higher than what's listed.

Blows my mind the prices these sellers get for their stuff. More power to 'em I guess.

I'd love some follow up on this issue just to see where it comes in.

And it is a good looking copy, but I would be worried about the uncertainty too.

It honestly doesn't look any better than a 9.4 to me...but stranger things have happened (shrug)

Is it bad to accurately grade? I'm surprised that there's comments about how it doesn't look better than a 9.4 - it's advertised as a 9.4, isn't that supposed to be good that you get what you pay for?

Or do people expect to get a 9.6 for a 9.4 price?

Is it bad to accurately grade? I'm surprised that there's comments about how it doesn't look better than a 9.4 - it's advertised as a 9.4, isn't that supposed to be good that you get what you pay for?

Or do people expect to get a 9.6 for a 9.4 price?

I think the issue here is that a raw 9.4 sold for well over what a CGC 9.4 sells for. Now if it comes back a 9.6 then it'll have been worth it but there is no way that book is a 9.6, hence the discussion.