• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Classic Cover of the Modern-Age? When did modern age start?

122 posts in this topic

Hey,

Might be fun if we had a thread for what everyone's opinion is makes the cut as "Classic Covers" of the Modern Age of Comics. I believe not all classic covers occurred before 1980. (shrug)

Copper Age Classic covers are easy like ASM 300, Spider-man #1 (TMc), and X-men #141 which I am sure we have discussed many times. However I am not sure if anyone started a thread for Modern Books (circa 1993-current).

Also was curious for opinions on when other collectors believe the copper age ended and the modern age started. IMO it is when the Death of Superman and Batman Nightfall started so basically when the cover price went to $1.25 and $1.50.

Would love to hear other opinions as well as post two books you think are modern age classics.

I will start with the easy ones:

Walking Dead #1

WalkingDead1.jpg

Ultimate Spider-man #1 (Regular Red or White variant):

UltimateSpiderman1Front.jpg

whtcvrultspiderman1cgc98.jpg

BTW I encourage us all to agree and disagree civilly with what each of us choices as classic covers or when the modern age truly began. (thumbs u

Here's the best explanation I've seen concerning Classic Covers (found on the Classic Covers thread in the Golden Age forum).

Overstreet had always documented "Classic Covers" to be the more recognizable/memorable inside the run (usually excluding #1 issues and major GA keys that were already sought after by default), adding more over time. The significance of classic cover designations exploded with the publication of the Gerber guides. Suddenly, collectors coveted the more memorable and/or provocative covers which became 'classics" of the runs/titles-- Suspense #3 became the poster child of this paradigm. Emphasis on cover were secondary, however, as most collectors still placed more significance on low issue #s and content (1st appearances, origins, cameo, etc).

Hypothesis #1: Many so-called classic covers also have decapitation, bondage, flag, fish-in-face, etc designations as these were often the more talked about (and sometimes controversial) issues in the run.

Hypothesis #2: These designations were especially useful for collecting secondary, non-DC titles, which explains why there are relatively fewer DC classic covers (given their long runs) compared to Timely, Fawcett, EC, Fiction House, etc.

Hypothesis #3: GA keys and other #1 issues historically did not get "classic cover" status because most collectors knew what they looked liked. Until recently, everyone recognized the covers of Action #1, Tec #27, Cap #1 etc. and sought by collectors for the issue # or content so no need to call it a classic. Books like Cap #46 "Classic Holocaust Cover" were perhaps better known for the cover than the issue # or story inside.

With slabbing and CGC-- as well as auction catalogs showcasing covers-- classic covers have increased in prominence, but the internet/eBay/auctions have diluted much of the experience/value of seeing these covers in hand.

Just a theory.... hm

At the risk of starting a violent debate, I think many consider 1990/91 to be the start of the modern age following the release of Spider-Man #1 & X-Men #1. My 2c .