• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 100

44 posts in this topic

I'm sick and tired of getting the royal "fisting" (without lube) selling my "raw" high grade Bronze Age Marvels on eBay! A-fisting-2.jpg

My eBay auctions for the past 5 weeks have been dismal in terms of sales value, and I'm ending up getting jolly stomped by selling many of my high grade "gems" for ridiculously low prices. I see similar "raw" books go for 2X or 3X for what I sell mine.

For example, I recently sold the following high grade Silver Surfer #12 for a paltry $26.00! :frustrated:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221104385412?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

I see eBay member JSCOMICS sold a similar condition book for $86.00!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Surfer-12-NM-9-2-white-pages-vs-Abomination-Marvel-1970-No-Reserve-/140826187978?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20c9e518ca

I realize JSCOMICS has an unreal reputation, and I'm a true "small fry" compared to them. But a difference of $60 for the same condition book!?!?!?!

I also know being located in Bangkok, Thailand may be the primary reason many eBayers don't bid on my auctions. All buyers are covered by eBay and PayPal protection! I do my best to provide A+ customer service. I ship within 24 hours via Thailand Post Registered Airmail. Usually takes 7 to 10 business days for a package to be delivered to the USA from Thailand. I keep all my buyers informed via timely emails. I pride myself on my honesty and ethical values when dealing with other serious collectors.

I'm frustrated to no end. :frustrated:

The vultures are literally feasting on my collection! :frustrated:

Vultures.jpg

The only way to "level the playing field" with BIG eBay sellers like JSCOMICS even in the slightest degree is to use CGC.

I think the time has come to pony up the cash and submit my key gems to CGC for grading and encapsulation. I've resisted doing this up to now because of the associated delays and costs from international shipping. Time for a major attitude ajustment!

Weighing it all out, I know I'll stand to make some decent coin selling these as CGC graded books. I have multiples (2-3 copies of each) of many key Bronze Age Marvels as well as about 50+ super high grade copies of various issue #s of the Silver Age Silver Surfer.

Before sending these in, I'd like to get some opinions on what many here would think these would grade out at.

First up is my ASM 100.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read my rant and also give a guesstimate on what CGC would grade this and my future books.

CGC2-2.jpg

CGC2a-1.jpg

9.4 too....what's your ebay name? I'll start buying if you have more of these :-)

eBay ID = john-c-holmes

Not sure when I'll be posting more, since my sales results have been dismal (for me.)

You can see my horrible sales record so far for the past 5 or so weeks:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/Comics-/63/i.html?_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&_armrs=1&_pcats=1&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_fss=1&LH_SpecificSeller=1..john-c-holmes

Some of my high grade books didn't even get a bid! :frustrated:

Anyway, can you lend me a hand and let me know what tangible defects you see with this book that keeps it from being higher than a 9.4? hm

9.4 too....what's your ebay name? I'll start buying if you have more of these :-)

Some of my high grade books didn't even get a bid! :frustrated:

Anyway, can you lend me a hand and let me know what tangible defects you see with this book that keeps it from being higher than a 9.4? hm

A lot of the weak sales has to do with the market returning to earth. especially in bronze stuff....least thats the word on the street here. Also the CGC stuff flooding the market may lower prices too. Every auction I've seen this summer has a Hulk 181 in 9.8....yawn.....

For grading and this is a reach cause its really a beautiful book....but you get to nit pick when its that beautiful and when you are talking 9.4 vs 9.6 or higher

FC slight corner/edge wear on the top and bottom.

FC slight nicks on the right side

Slight very fixable stain on BC bottom staple....

Back cover some very minor wear at the top.

Other than that I could see a 9.6 maybe :-)

I think your problem may be the shipping cost. I understand that you're in Thailand and shipping will be costly. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but as a buyer I wouldn't want to bid on an auction where I have to pay an additional $10 when I could bid on an auction that's only charing me $2.99. If there's anything you can do to reduce shipping costs you should try it.

Also I've notice that if I make my starting bid something low, like $.99 I seem to get more bids/views/watchers. Notice that JSCOMICS' auction had a starting bid of $.50 where yours was $15.99

Hope this helps!

I think your problem may be the shipping cost. I understand that you're in Thailand and shipping will be costly. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but as a buyer I wouldn't want to bid on an auction where I have to pay an additional $10 when I could bid on an auction that's only charing me $2.99. If there's anything you can do to reduce shipping costs you should try it.

Also I've notice that if I make my starting bid something low, like $.99 I seem to get more bids/views/watchers. Notice that JSCOMICS' auction had a starting bid of $.50 where yours was $15.99

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the imput.

What does $2.99 get you? I forget. Is that USPS Media Mail? hm If it's a high grade book, you would think the buyer wants some form of tracking. From my recollection, USPS Media Mail doesn't provide this. Maybe an optional USPS Delivery Confirmation? 75¢? Who pays for that? I guess the Seller would to cover his/her Not sure that is available for USPS Media Mail?

Thailand Registered Airmail is the only service that provides tracking both in the country of origin (e.g., Thailand) as well as the destination country (USPS, Australian Post, Canadian Post, etc.)

Registered Mail is part of the EMS Cooperative services. There are approximately 173 countries and their postal sytems adhere to a uniform protocol:

http://www.ems.coop/members-ems-cooperative

Registered Mail mandates the addressee sign for the package before accepting phyical delivery. Yes, there are cheaper options. Probably Thai Post Airmail at maybe $5.99 or thereabouts. However, no tracking whatsoever. I would be opening myself to eBay and/or Paypal claims from unscroupulous buyers saying they never received their auction win. doh!

About the opening bid prices, I wouldn't dare follow JSCOMICS methodolgy and start the opening bids of my auctions at 50¢ :o With my rotten luck, The winning bid for a beautiful high grade Bronze Age Marvel may be $9.95! NO THANKS!

I guess it all depends what comic books I offer.

Also, if I get my gems graded and encapsulated by CGC, I think I'll have a better chance. Yes, more expensive, but uniform in grading and better sales?

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

A lot of the weak sales has to do with the market returning to earth. especially in bronze stuff....least thats the word on the street here. Also the CGC stuff flooding the market may lower prices too. Every auction I've seen this summer has a Hulk 181 in 9.8....yawn.....

For grading and this is a reach cause its really a beautiful book....but you get to nit pick when its that beautiful and when you are talking 9.4 vs 9.6 or higher

FC slight corner/edge wear on the top and bottom.

FC slight nicks on the right side

Slight very fixable stain on BC bottom staple....

Back cover some very minor wear at the top.

Other than that I could see a 9.6 maybe :-)

I see. We may be in the middle of a "market correction" with regards to Bronze Age books. Great! Perfect timing as usual for me! doh!

Thanks so much for your keen analysis on the defects on my ASM 100. You really have a good eye for this kind of stuff. If I can get a 9.4 from CGC, I would be very happy! :cloud9:

Great book! 9.4 with potential for improvement.

Quick question.

What do you mean by "potential for improvement?" hm

Do you think it's worth having the BC cleaned as another poster recommended?

If yes, what service does this? I've never had a service clean a comic book for me.

Also, will said cleaning service be able to forward my ASM 100 to CGC?

If it was indeed "cleaned," do you think this copy could become a 9.6?

Just wondering if it's worth it. hm

Thanks for your help as well as everyone else who has responded to my PGM thread here! (worship)

I think you definitely have some nice books and you are making the correct choice by submitting them. It is very tough trying to convince E-Bayers that your books are truly Near Mint in a raw state. I would submit enough for a prescreen of say, 9.4 . I think you need 50 books for a prescreen. This will give you a good idea as to your grading without a lot of risk. I would also consider having a contact point in the States for all of this. No sense in shipping to CGC and back to you if you are going to sell them anyway.

Also, whether raw or slabbed, consider selling here on the Boards. It's not an auction site but it's without fees.

BTW, I like your presentation on E-Bay, the large pics and nice writeup. Good Luck !

Photographs really make it difficult to inspect the details when talking grades over 9.0 I think. The corners and those horizontal lines on the left edge BC + the dark area around the LS BC makes it look 9.2 to me.

Speaking for myself, I tend to shy away from claims of 9.4 without a nice big scan so I can really see the details. Especially for books over $50 (everyone's "cap limit" is different) and especially+ on cool black covers.

I don't know if you have space issues or think they're too expensive, but I bought my scanner at Best Buy for $60. It does fine enough for me.

Anyway, from the photo I say 9.2

I'd put the book in a 9.2ish range. It might be better, but the back looks rough like others have pointed out.

I've also looked at your auctions in the past. I think the high shipping cost is a real deterrent- no offense. You seem to have some nice books though.

I've also looked at your auctions in the past. I think the high shipping cost is a real deterrent- no offense. You seem to have some nice books though.

No offense taken.

You obviously bypassed over the discussion I had previously on the perceived "high" shipping price.

What does $2.99 get you? I forget. Is that USPS Media Mail? If it's a high grade book, you would think the buyer wants some form of tracking. From my recollection, USPS Media Mail doesn't provide this. Maybe an optional USPS Delivery Confirmation? 75¢? Who pays for that? I guess the Seller would to cover his/her Not sure that is available for USPS Media Mail?

Thailand Registered Airmail is the only service that provides tracking both in the country of origin (e.g., Thailand) as well as the destination country (USPS, Australian Post, Canadian Post, etc.)

Registered Mail is part of the EMS Cooperative services. There are approximately 173 countries and their postal sytems adhere to a uniform protocol:

http://www.ems.coop/members-ems-cooperative

Registered Mail mandates the addressee sign for the package before accepting phyical delivery. Yes, there are cheaper options. Probably Thai Post Airmail at maybe $5.99 or thereabouts. However, no tracking whatsoever. I would be opening myself to eBay and/or Paypal claims from unscroupulous buyers saying they never received their auction win.

No way I will open myself to any BS claims by unscoupulous buyers. You know that eBay is full of them.

I need to have tracking to give both the buyer and myself a legitimate way to track the package as it leaves overseas. In the event of any bogus claims, I need to present eBay and/or PayPal with a tracking number and delivery results.

I guess I need to research this more and see how other eBay comic book sellers located outside the USA deal with international shipping.

Nevertheless, thank you for taking the time to respond!

Photographs really make it difficult to inspect the details when talking grades over 9.0 I think. The corners and those horizontal lines on the left edge BC + the dark area around the LS BC makes it look 9.2 to me.

Speaking for myself, I tend to shy away from claims of 9.4 without a nice big scan so I can really see the details. Especially for books over $50 (everyone's "cap limit" is different) and especially+ on cool black covers.

I don't know if you have space issues or think they're too expensive, but I bought my scanner at Best Buy for $60. It does fine enough for me.

Anyway, from the photo I say 9.2

Thanks for your take.

I think it will be wise for me to invest in a scanner. There are no "Best Buys" here in Bangkok, but there is an equivalent. I'll take your advice to heart.

I guess getting a 9.2 for this book is better than completely burned! laser-gun.gif

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to look at my ASM 100!

You could solve this by selling these books on the boards :baiting:

Yes, I may avail myself to this option.

However, I may face the same resistance. My shipping cost remains the same since I need tracking (and only Thailand Post Registered Airmail provides this.)

Actually, I'll have a tougher time selling my books here since no one on these boards "knows" me or has dealt with me.

I have only my eBay feedback as a reference, and many here feel that can be trumped up also and not be a true indicator of reputation.

Looks like I'm in the middle of a rock and hard place. :makepoint:

Perhaps I'll just bit the bullet and list more on eBay and get blasted. russian-roulette.gif Better than getting nothing for my books.

Thanks for your take. I appreciate it!

Just a follow up.

If I get the ASM 100 to CGC and it scores a 9.2 to 9.4, I think the $10.00 Thailand Registered Airmail Fee will no longer be an obstacle or deterrent.

What do you think? hm