• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interview with MIKE BURKEY--the art dealer's perspective on OCAL

216 posts in this topic

Rob,

I don't know Ferran or if there's a history with Burkey or Glen so maybe I'm missing something. Is there a problem with someone offering a critique that isn't positive? Maybe you think it is in poor taste to do so publicly but Glen advertised his blog and has asked for comments on it before. I think when you write something, publish it, advertise it and invite people to read it and comment sometimes you'll get responses that are not positive. To me that's all this is.

If I'm missing some back story then please fill me in. I'm not looking to stir things up just don't understand why a non-positive comment is such a big deal when comments are solicited.

I have my own ideas about hard questions, generally to any dealer, I would think more specific questions about pricing policy...and perhaps address some common criticisms... perhaps more philosophical questions...but Glen didn't advertise this as the end all interview with Mike.

No, nothing wrong with offering comments on a blog... I just thought he was more venomous/petty than just commenting.

R

I read the blog and thought it was a great interview! I only get to see Burkey once a year when he comes to the NY show and he is always too busy to really sit and chat!

I also don't undestand all of this "hard question" stuff. What are we looking for here in a "hard question"? Is Flash faster than Superman? Did Burkey ever sleep with Lindsey Lohan? What??????

We are talking about comic book art here for God's sake!

I guess the fight went public before the Yahoo groups days when comicart-l was still on a private server otherwise all the details would be in the archives.

My mistake, this is in the archives of Comicart-L on Yahoo Groups. It seems like it was longer ago but it was 1999. The saga begins with message # 33403.

Hard to believe that was almost 13 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Rereading those posts brings all those emotions right back up the surface.

I guess the fight went public before the Yahoo groups days when comicart-l was still on a private server otherwise all the details would be in the archives.

My mistake, this is in the archives of Comicart-L on Yahoo Groups. It seems like it was longer ago but it was 1999. The saga begins with message # 33403.

It's incredible. "The Contract" is still the most jaw-dropping story I've read in the hobby. It's long (there have to be over 100 posts with various list members weighing in), but I can cut/paste the crucial Burkey/Brunswick posts if people want. I know not everyone here is a member of comicart-l and is able to search the archives.

My favorite post is when Albert Moy suggested to Glen Gold that he change his name. lol!

But I don't understand, why criticize the tone of the interview Ferran? I read and very much enjoy your own blog. Is this professional jealousy? It isn't very professional to criticize the competition in public--it come across petty--why not in private?

Perhaps you would like to interview Mike or Albert or Anthony and ask the 'hard' questions? Will they answer? I seriously doubt it?

R

I myself do not even know what the "hard" questions are?

It's incredible. "The Contract" is still the most jaw-dropping story I've read in the hobby.

Then you've lead a very sheltered existence. The only thing different about this is that it was public and it wasn't purged by the moderators. I've read SOOOO much worse.

"Hard" questions to any dealer might include things like:

• How do you price your inventory?
  • How often do you re-price your inventory?
  • Do you have published prices?
  • If not, how does a client know you haven't bumped the price "just for him/her?"
  • How do you assign value to pieces offered for trade - what's your reference? Why is that the "right" reference
  • What venues / data do you track to determine popularity? Why do you believe that is sufficient/right?
  • Do you prefer consignment or inventory? Why?
  • Do you authenticate the artists on non-published pieces? If so, how? If not, why not?
  • How do you handle pieces that have been reported stolen? Is there a registry?
  • In most retail business, inventory management (turns) is vital. Do you worry about the amount of time an item is held in inventory? Does the hold time figure into your pricing model?
  • By decade or "age" what items sell fastest? What artists?
  • There seems to be a high turnover of comic artists these days. Does that indicate long term problems pricing and selling newer artists?
  • Which newer artists seem the most liquid?
  • How do you price pencils vs. their blue line inks? What is the impact on the business? Do you try to get both pieces?
  • Has the lack of word balloons influence pricing, i.e., do people seem to miss the words on the page?

I could go on, but I won't. :)

It's incredible. "The Contract" is still the most jaw-dropping story I've read in the hobby.

Then you've lead a very sheltered existence. The only thing different about this is that it was public and it wasn't purged by the moderators. I've read SOOOO much worse.

Like I said...it's the most jaw-dropping thing I've "read". "Heard" is another story. But yes, this one's all a matter of public record. Anyone can read up on it. Burkey felt he was wronged. Brunswick felt he was right. People can decide for themselves.

Knowing the history, it does make this interview all the more unlikely. The tone and direction of the interview didn't surprise me. I expected nothing more. That Burkey would agree to be interviewed by Brunswick after what he went through? Shocked. Although, as one friend pointed out, this line from Mike provides a lot of answers:

"I'LL BUY A ROCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD IF I CAN SELL IT TO MAKE A PROFIT"

Like I said...it's the most jaw-dropping thing I've "read". "Heard" is another story. But yes, this one's all a matter of public record. Anyone can read up on it. Burkey felt he was wronged. Brunswick felt he was right. People can decide for themselves.

Knowing the history, it does make this interview all the more unlikely. The tone and direction of the interview didn't surprise me. I expected nothing more. That Burkey would agree to be interviewed by Brunswick after what he went through? Shocked. Although, as one friend pointed out, this line from Mike provides a lot of answers:

If my "friend" held me to the letter of a contract over just a single page, I'd no longer consider them a friend. Fr*ck them and fr*ck their money.

I've got my own first hand story, just waiting for the time to tell it properly :mad:

what is it with EVERY post being picked on and completely side tracked.

This is ridiculous. If this continues soon nobody will even contribute any longer at all.

Yes these are public forms, but the idea behind this is to share information.

There was a great post and interview with Mike Burkey.

And look what it turned into.

Instead of just complaining and whining, let’s contribute instead!

If folks have connections to other dealers and want to do an interview and ask different questions, then DO IT!

This is ridiculous. If this continues soon nobody will even contribute any longer at all.

I agree.

I propose a (virtual) group hug . . .

grouphug.jpg

If my "friend" held me to the letter of a contract over just a single page, I'd no longer consider them a friend. Fr*ck them and fr*ck their money.

I've got my own first hand story, just waiting for the time to tell it properly :mad:

I don't know the story.

But I know certain people I respect have different views on stuff like that. Some stick with the letter of the agreement, some the spirit. The more collector types I find stick with the spirit.... the more dealer types stick with the letter, has been my experience.

So without knowing the details..... if it was that kind of spirit vs letter issue, I can see how both sides might have different perspectives on what's fair without either party really meaning to screw the other.

But as I said I know nothing about this exact situation, just offering a general observation.

2 things came to me as a result of reading:

1. I should have been collecting OA in 1999

2. I'm glad I have never dealt with a guy named glenbru.

Yes these are public forms, but the idea behind this is to share information.

There was a great post and interview with Mike Burkey.

And look what it turned into.

If folks have connections to other dealers and want to do an interview and ask different questions, then DO IT!

How exactly can long time collectors relating infamous stories specifically about the parties at hand, that clearly all newer collectors do not know, be defined as anything but sharing information??

I don't know the story.

But I know certain people I respect have different views on stuff like that. Some stick with the letter of the agreement, some the spirit. The more collector types I find stick with the spirit.... the more dealer types stick with the letter, has been my experience.

So without knowing the details..... if it was that kind of spirit vs letter issue, I can see how both sides might have different perspectives on what's fair without either party really meaning to screw the other.

But as I said I know nothing about this exact situation, just offering a general observation.

Ironically, in this instance it was the exact reverse- the dealer went with the spirit and the "collector" ended up going with a specific interpretation of the letter.

Really someone should just post the entire original thread here. Then let people decide whether the recent interview seems forehead-slapppingly amazing or not. That's been entire premise of this thread, right??

If Glenbru is so confident that he was in the right, he should also welcome the opportunity to be vindicated by his readers.