• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interview with MIKE BURKEY--the art dealer's perspective on OCAL

216 posts in this topic

how long ago was that?

and does it really relate to what this post was about?

that's the point i am making here.

It was 13 years ago, but happens to be one of the most infamous stories in original comic art collecting over the last 20 years. It relates because the two parties in involved just participated in an interview- maybe you heard?

How about we ignore comments by folks who post anonymously? It's easy to attack and comment when you have a mask on your head-- like the KKK did in the south.

This thread was never about the interview being forehead slapping amazing in light of events 13 years ago?

Wasn't it just Glen letting us know about his most recent post?

Lastly, isn't two guys that had some sort of disagreement 13 years letting bygones be bygones 13 years later admirable? If they don't have a problem communicating, and possibly doing business again, what do we have to say about it? Time heals most wounds.

Rob

how long ago was that?

As for the first question: I'm not sure the time period is relevant given the impression and impact it had on the community at the time.

As for the second question:

Have you ever read through those posts that told the whole story?

If you had then you probably wouldn't be asking the question you are asking.

If you haven't then calling them irrelevant seems premature.

How about we ignore comments by folks who post anonymously? It's easy to attack and comment when you have a mask on your head-- like the KKK did in the south.

This thread was never about the interview being forehead slapping amazing in light of events 13 years ago?

Lastly, isn't two guys that had some sort of disagreement 13 years letting bygones be bygones 13 years later admirable? If they don't have a problem communicating, and possibly doing business again, what do we have to say about it? Time heals most wounds.

Rob

Sure, Rob. Shill Steer the conversation in whatever direction you like. BTW, what kind of person invokes the KKK at the drop of a hat like that? Wow.

Rob

That tends to happen when posting on a message board where everyone is free to chime in. It's hard to get shocked that a thread heads into territory not expected by the original poster.

It might even be slightly naive of anyone posting the interview link, to think that this particular interview would pass quietly and without considerable forehead slapping. lol

I think I might have been more shocked if the details of past dealings between Mike and Glenn didn't get brought up given how volcanic it all was.

how long ago was that?

As for the first question: I'm not sure the time period is relevant given the impression and impact it had on the community at the time.

I dont have to read through the post since i remember what i need to remember from back then. yes there are folks that have been doing this for a while and i am happy to be one of them!

But cant we let this go. It seems everyone but a few fellows have moved on with this.

And the way it sounds, even the two involved parties moved on.

So how difficult is to let go!?

how long ago was that?

I dont have to read through the post since i remember what i need to remember from back then. yes there are folks that have been doing this for a while and i am happy to be one of them!

But cant we let this go. It seems everyone but a few fellows have moved on with this.

From the posts here it seems only a few fellows actually know what happened or were around for it.

There are lots of questions that indicate several people don't have any idea what occurred.

This hobby has been ill-served from secrecy and cloistered details.

I don't know if ignoring the elephant in the room makes it go away. It certainly does nothing for the scent.

Now I'm a shill for Glen because of my views? That's silly.

The idea stonecutter, is that anonymous posters, like the KKK, often hide behind anonymity to say or do things that they wouldn't normally say, or do, if their identity were otherwise known.

Of course they differ tremendously in degree, I agree, but the type/concept is the same.

Online anonymity often creates a mob mentality and makes it easier to attack without consequence.

Rob

The idea stonecutter, is that anonymous posters, like the KKK, often hide behind anonymity to say or do things that they wouldn't normally say, or do, if their identity were otherwise known.

Of course they differ tremendously in degree, I agree, but the type/concept is the same.

Online anonymity often creates a mob mentality and makes it easier to attack without consequence.

Rob

And I can attest that Rob looks nothing like Groucho Marx. lol

Rob

I thought it was cool that Glen and Mike could talk. They've obviously moved on. So should we.

Funny thing is that I never heard about this incident at all until a few guys here brought it up...I still don't know what it's all about, because I don't belong to the comic art-L...

I wonder how many of us here would want to defend actions from 13 years ago?

Let he without sin cast the first stone?

R

Rob

I'm still running from the lynch-mob . . .

Funny thing is that I never heard about this incident at all until a few guys here brought it up...I still don't know what it's all about, because I don't belong to the comic art-L...

I wonder how many of us here would want to defend actions from 13 years ago?

Let he without sin cast the first stone?

R

You and I have to talk soon my friend.

Rob

I'm still running from the lynch-mob . . .

Hey shouldn't you be posting in a certain other thread? :baiting:

I don't know. Why don't you ask Monica Lewinksy, Anthony Weiner, Chris Brown, or Lance Armstrong(okay that might be too soon)

And where did you get that "few" from? Did you take a poll of active OA collectors or something or is that just more spin?

And clearly the irony has been completely lost upon Rob for leaping to invoke the KKK in the disparagement of mask-wearing in a Comic Book forum- a genre mostly populated by...

Yes. Mask-wearing heroes.

"Hard" questions to any dealer might include things like:

• How do you price your inventory?
  • How often do you re-price your inventory?
  • Do you have published prices?
  • If not, how does a client know you haven't bumped the price "just for him/her?"
  • How do you assign value to pieces offered for trade - what's your reference? Why is that the "right" reference
  • What venues / data do you track to determine popularity? Why do you believe that is sufficient/right?
  • Do you prefer consignment or inventory? Why?
  • Do you authenticate the artists on non-published pieces? If so, how? If not, why not?
  • How do you handle pieces that have been reported stolen? Is there a registry?
  • In most retail business, inventory management (turns) is vital. Do you worry about the amount of time an item is held in inventory? Does the hold time figure into your pricing model?
  • By decade or "age" what items sell fastest? What artists?
  • There seems to be a high turnover of comic artists these days. Does that indicate long term problems pricing and selling newer artists?
  • Which newer artists seem the most liquid?
  • How do you price pencils vs. their blue line inks? What is the impact on the business? Do you try to get both pieces?
  • Has the lack of word balloons influence pricing, i.e., do people seem to miss the words on the page?

I could go on, but I won't. :)

Okay, thanks. I wouldn't consider those Geraldo Rivera/60 Minutes level hard, so now I understand my confusion. Most of those seem fairly soft to me as well. I guess I am a hard grader then.