• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So i go the call we all wait for ....

51 posts in this topic

Last week i was at a clients house "old house built in the 20's" and i said to her

"I dont want to creep you out but i have dreams about your basement"

I then explained i collect old books and comics and that is usually where you find them.

She said "Funny you should mention that since one of my friends just cleared their basement out an has a ton of that stuff." she then proceeds to hand me an adventure Pulp from the mid 30's that he had given her. I immediately gave her my home number to give to the guy. Well I just got off the phone with him and apparently he has "his words" a crate full of old pulp mags and the like.

I setup a meeting for tommarow night so we can go over what he has.....

My problem is i know nothing about pulps "which judging by the titles he was reading me over the phone is the majority of what he has"

Is there any serious interest in pulps or anywhere i can look up info on them for reference BEFORE i meet up with him?

Yes, there is serious collector interest. (thumbs u

Assuming this crate is just full of pulps, the Bookery Pulp Guide that Torch mentioned is a great place for researching ball-park values, although based on recent sales estimated values have probably north on some pulps since the last edition.

Another suggestion: if you have time, get photos and descriptons (overall appearance, inc. PQ) and post them here. You'll ratchet up interest in the collection and get good feedback on the values.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brookerys-Guide-Pulps-Related-Magazines-/120904911536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c267e8ab0#ht_500wt_1180

:baiting:

well there ya go. not much to look at imho, but i figured i would post it anyway :) It was still fun to see since its not often you get to see books stuck in a trunk for nearly 80 years :)

overall the page quality was really good. but chipping and tearing was pretty bad on almost all the books. i have detailed writeups for each book "except the coverless ones which i didnt bother with" if anyone is interested

I told Bob "the books owner" that i was going to post these and if anyone made an offer i would pass it along. as for me i didnt make an offer.

Thanks to RevDoyle for joining me on this outing :) we had fun :)

DSC_0032.jpg

7893406174_8deb76548d_o.jpg

The covers of those Adventure pulps probably inspired artists who drew the early covers of Adventure Comics, Action Comics and More Fun.

Delano and NC Wyeth were responsible for some of those covers.

These would be worth picking up only if you were interested purely as a reader. Adventure from this era generally sell in the $10-$15 range for decent copies (there are a couple of exceptions for 2 issues in 1935 and 1936 that contain stories by L. Ron Hubbard)... but in this condition they would not really have any collector value. At PulpFest auctions they will often put together a grouping of rough issues (sometimes even incomplete), including coverless, as a lot, and someone who just wants to read the stories will usually pick them up for a few bucks per lot.

As cool as those pulps are, that's the stuff that when someone brings it in and I try to explain to them that their low grade pulps are essentially worthless they look at me as if I'm the lowest form of crook who walked the Earth. I've learned that I cannot talk value with someone who is trying to sell this type of material until after I've explained that I have absolutely no interest in buying it.